Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andrew Collins (Jalopnik) drives and reviews Model 3 -- I see his Grin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
OK so the other day Andrew Collins posted a request to anyone with a Model 3 to loan it to him to drive and review their car for Jalopnik and offered the person a lunch for their troubles to anyone who stepped up. Well he got his chance already and posted his video/review thanks to Mason McLead, VP of Engineering at Fair (car leasing service). Definitely watch the video first. I swear the grin never left his face the whole time.

https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3-makes-the-future-feel-normal-1821684820

I realize alot of guys are into the mechanics/performance of ICE vehicles and the DIY repairs so will probably always have a hard time embracing EVs. I'd love to see Fair let Andrew drive the car for a week or so to get a better feel for what it would be like to own one. Thought it would be nice if Andrew could drive to a hotel for an overnight stay and use the destination charger over night and wake up the next morning fully charged and ready to go. Andrew did allude to the fact that he hoped to do more test driving of the Model 3 down the road so if he does I'll be interested to read his followup.

"....
I’ve had intelligent people who own regular, ordinary cars ask me why there’s “a cyclops ghost” on their dashboard when their car is trying to tell them their tire pressure is low. Others have been amazed to learn they could adjust the brightness of their speedometer. And I know plenty of people who have no idea what their tachometer is or why it exists.

The Tesla Model 3 feels made for these people. It doesn’t assume you know anything about cars. Or that you care. This vehicle just wants to provide the most seamless possible transition from one place to the next. It’s immersive driving, in the sense that you have a great view of wherever you’re rolling through. It also barely feels like driving, because it doesn’t give you any gauges to look at or significant steering feedback. Hell, the only part of the Model 3 that’s user-serviceable is the windshield washer fluid reservoir, which redefines what car ownership is really like.
..."

Reactions: Pkmmte
Always interesting to read through the viewer comments there. This video/article seemed to generate a lot more interested people with genuine questions, and of course still some who Tesla will never reach but kind of to be expected.

I thought many of the viewer comments/questions were good ones and while I have no desire to register there to comment, I felt I could have answered some of their question that kind of got left up in the air. For example the sole center screen is a concern for people. I had my doubts as well until I actually sat in a Model 3. The screen isn't that far over, and it's certainly closer than let's say on my current car's positioning of the time/date-compass-outside temp-and-"fuel miles left" display which I frequently glance over as I drive my ICE. Another common question raised was what about seeing your speed. Understandable question. Don't think Andrew thought to notice that indicator on the Model 3 when he was driving nor did anyone think to point it out on the photo of the center display. Telsa positions it in bold numbers in the upper left of the screen so really easy enough to see if you know where it is.

Another concern kind of raised in comments was what if I drive over 100 mi a day or long distance -- the fear in running out of battery. Andrew didn't charged the vehicle for this test drive so not something he would necessarily know about yet. Probably never got around to showing the charging map or how to navigate to a charger. Another concern was the cold and effect on mileage from the battery. Again valid especially if you are in a cold climate. No one pointed out how many Teslas are sold to Canadians and Norwegians, sure some on Jalopnik would be surprised. The LR Model 3 is a great fit I would think. Anyway I look forward to seeing how opinions change there as time goes on and more people get exposed to Tesla and EVs in a similar class. Very possible many of the readers there just recall the EVs with very limited range batteries and aren't aware of what's out there now.