Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I get that update soon. Pixel 6 Pro the supposed flagship always gets the updates last. It may be unrelated but the door handles are not presenting when I walk up either. (no issue with phone as a key.) The car MSLR say car off when I get in. My previous MYP was very seamless. I know the cars have some differences but that is an unusual one.

When you say unpair I am assuming that you go to the locks menu on the screen and click trash on your phone, correct? If so I did that already. Tried to reinstall and Still didn't work.

Maybe I am just missing the big picture here. I am fairly tech savvy as an end user but cannot figure out what else to do.

I also tried to forget device on Bluetooth. It will connect Bluetooth but not key phone.
First tried to reset key, which worked a day or two. Then didn't work. This morning tried resetting I couldn't get the phone to work at all. Uninstalled the app and tried again. App couldn't communicate (as a key) at all. Bluetooth for music continued to work and the app can unlock the doors, etc. But as a key no go.
I was on advanced Tesla updates. I turned that off, so maybe that will help if get a stable release. And Android's next update? Very frustrated.
Time for a key fob?

I was in contact with Google Pixel support and they are aware of the issue. Apparently it will be fixed in the next update... No ETA.

However, they gave me a workaround that seems to work each time for me. Reboot the device. As soon as I reboot, the phone key works for another 24 hours or so.
Ah, yes, I also rebooted and it worked a bit. I'll try that again, if I can get the phone reconnected. Will do that before trying to reconnect since I can't even do that right now. Agh!

I just updated my Pixel 5 to Android 13. Since that time I have been having issues with my phone key. At first it worked very sporadically. Now I can't even get it to connect. I've tried uninstalling the app, forgetting Bluetooth, rebooting the car, allowing all permissions etc. Is anybody else having this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, My wife and I both have Pixel 5 phones and updated to Android 13, and our phones appear to lose bluetooth connectivity with the car. We have only seen the car when we get ready to leave home after the car has sat overnight. To fix the problem, we just go into the phone settings / Connected devices / Connection preferences / Bluetooth and then disable and re-enable "Use Bluetooth". I have not found a permanent fix yet.

Yes, My wife and I both have Pixel 5 phones and updated to Android 13, and our phones appear to lose bluetooth connectivity with the car. We have only seen the car when we get ready to leave home after the car has sat overnight. To fix the problem, we just go into the phone settings / Connected devices / Connection preferences / Bluetooth and then disable and re-enable "Use Bluetooth". I have not found a permanent fix yet.
This thing is on top menu (swipe down from the top)... It is much quicker

Since the security update a few days ago (manually check update in settings to get it), it has been working fine for me. It seems google has fixed the problem with this latest update. If it starts bugging out again I'll post here.

Since the security update a few days ago (manually check update in settings to get it), it has been working fine for me. It seems google has fixed the problem with this latest update. If it starts bugging out again I'll post here.
trying this now - will report back after update.
I hate how this system update is not triggered when you go play store for update checks :|

Reactions: NoisyCricket
In my case (Pixel 4a 5G with Model Y), I have found that the Tesla process must be running or it won't work, and if I set the Tesla app battery usage setting to Unrestricted as described above, it stays running (may need to launch the app after restart). You can see running processes in System > Developer Options if enabled, otherwise you can see if the Tesla app is running by swiping down twice on the status bar and tapping the bottom bar which appears when at least 1 app is running in the background. If you don't want to do that, you can run the Tesla app when you need to unlock.

Sometimes, even if the Tesla process is running, the connection fails (per the bug linked to previously here) and toggling Bluetooth off/on restarts the Bluetooth stack and generally fixes the problem. Often you have to toggle Bluetooth after starting the Tesla process, whether after startup or after the system stopped it in the background.

If the Tesla process isn't running, toggling Bluetooth won't fix the problem.

I installed the patch today as well. So far everything is working well, but I've had other fixes last about 24 hours so time will tell if it's truly fixed.
See below on the new android update release notes. I updated this morning and so far so good. Hopefully it is a fix.

I still get really old texts that pop up as notifications on the Tesla but that is for another thread another day....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913-064812.png
    Screenshot_20220913-064812.png
    564 KB · Views: 1,965
I don't think the issue mentioned is the problem some people are having.

I updated my Pixel 6 to Android 13, and had to reinstall it as a lock, using the method I mentioned earlier. Since that one time, it has worked perfectly every time, without any need to reboot, reinstall, disable/enable anything like bluetooth, etc. Every time I walk up to the car, it unlocks, and locks when I leave. So, I say it must be something else causing problems, probably user error. It's a little complicated to uninstall fully before reinstalling - in fact, it's hard enough to install the first time if you've never done it before. But after doing the uninstall/reinstall half a dozen times on various phones due to installing various versions of the Tesla app, I've got it down pretty well.

Yes, I went into the locks menu and removed my phone. I then went into my phone's bluetooth settings and removed the car. Restarted both and then re-paired them and everything worked.

As an aside, I initially thought it was an issue with just starting the car because I could unlock and get in the car but it wouldn't switch into gear because it said the key wasn't present. I was initially confused how it could work some times but not all the time. Then I realized...the phone key wasn't working at all. The only reason I was able to get into the car was because the "walk away lock" that I was used to was no longer working either...meaning I was inadvertently leaving my car unlocked all the time. If your phone key is not working, please make sure that you manually lock your car when you get out otherwise it will remain unlocked!
I just realized I too have been leaving my car unlocked. I am now trying to reconnect the phone key after removing and reinstalling app and it fails to connect. Bluetooth will connect, but the car, key card and phone will not communicate. Who do I escalate this to? Google? (Have a Pixel 4a (5G).