Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized I too have been leaving my car unlocked. I am now trying to reconnect the phone key after removing and reinstalling app and it fails to connect. Bluetooth will connect, but the car, key card and phone will not communicate. Who do I escalate this to? Google? (Have a Pixel 4a (5G).
Have you tried holding the phone right next to the spot where you put the card key? I have a 4a 5G and at times I have to hold it close to that spot to get recognized. Same with the door pillar spot when unlocking. May happen more when my phone battery is low.

I just realized I too have been leaving my car unlocked. I am now trying to reconnect the phone key after removing and reinstalling app and it fails to connect. Bluetooth will connect, but the car, key card and phone will not communicate. Who do I escalate this to? Google? (Have a Pixel 4a (5G).
After reading Google forums on the android 13 issues and solutions, I tried something that worked for me, for now. I opted IN to the beta testing for google, then opted OUT. Immediately an update was sent to my phone. After the update finished I was able to connect my phone as a key card.

After reading Google forums on the android 13 issues and solutions, I tried something that worked for me, for now. I opted IN to the beta testing for google, then opted OUT. Immediately an update was sent to my phone. After the update finished I was able to connect my phone as a key card.
And…. After a few days or so, it is back to phone key not connecting to car, phone key not starting car, phone key not activating walk away lock. This is frustrating and unacceptable for a technology driven application. Restarting phone, turning airplane mode on and off do not work. Physically getting into car, RE connecting default phone to car will make some things work, but upon exit 5 min later, no auto lock on exit. This is dangerous and possibly costly should I lose my car and contents therein. There needs to be a fix!

Still an issue for me as well. The app works as a key for a few hours then stops. It's obviously not the bluetooth because I can connect to the audio when entering the vehicle. The key never works.
Phone key uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), which is a separate connection than the Bluetooth connection used for audio. The problem is with BLE.

btw, you can use your phone like your card key if NFC is enabled. If you don't want to unlock your phone, you can allow NFC while locked in the NFC settings. Depending on how else you use NFC, that may or may not be a good idea. Not as convenient (notably it won't lock when you walk away), but useful as a fallback. option.

I just updated my Pixel 5 to Android 13. Since that time I have been having issues with my phone key. At first it worked very sporadically. Now I can't even get it to connect. I've tried uninstalling the app, forgetting Bluetooth, rebooting the car, allowing all permissions etc. Is anybody else having this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gl
I just updated my Pixel 5 to Android 13. Since that time I have been having issues with my phone key. At first it worked very sporadically. Now I can't even get it to connect. I've tried uninstalling the app, forgetting Bluetooth, rebooting the car, allowing all permissions etc. Is anybody else having this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Glad it's not just me. Thanks to all who contributed.

Seems to be some progress and/or at least acknowledgement from Google:

1664398259758.png

Reactions: DBeckwith
I was following this forum with interest but I think I've finally cracked it. The Tesla app needs to be running for the phone to work as a key. I found the adaptive battery setting was killing the Tesla app. I've disabled adaptive battery in the settings and the phone has worked perfectly for the last 3 days.

Reactions: TWENT2
I was following this forum with interest but I think I've finally cracked it. The Tesla app needs to be running for the phone to work as a key. I found the adaptive battery setting was killing the Tesla app. I've disabled adaptive battery in the settings and the phone has worked perfectly for the last 3 days.
I have been looking for some Android 13 setting that was killing the Tesla background process. I'm going to give it a shot! Just Disabled Adaptive battery on my Pixel 6 Pro and my wife's Pixel 5. Will report back! Thank you @chewyelectric

Reactions: zoomer0056
I feel like it's 2018 all over again. After about 3 glorious years of the phone key working exactly as it's supposed to on a Pixel 3 and a Pixel 6 from Android 9 to Android 12, Android 13 broke it. While it isn't as bad as it was in the early days of the Model 3 release when the phone key wouldn't work about half the time on Android, I'm getting tired of getting into my car in the morning to be greeted to the key card screen.

Tesla app has unrestricted battery usage. Every Bluetooth related option I can find is set to unrestricted battery usage. Adaptive Battery is off. Still getting random times where the phone key isn't recognized. Unless Google finally pushes a fix, it's probably time to install Tasker again to automatically toggle Bluetooth to reset the radio regularly.

Reactions: voom500
Anyone know if this has been fixed? I've been keeping my Pixel 6 Pro on Android 12 for the time being and will only upgrade if there isn't the chance of accidentally locking myself out of the car
It is not yet fixed. However, you won't be locked out of your car. You just have to either turn bluetooth off and on again OR hold the phone up to the door pillar sensor where the credit card key would go. Both work, but if you use the second option your walk away automatic lock won't work when you leave and the car will remain unlocked unless you toggle the bluetooth before you go or lock the car manually.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056