Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get any new updates for my Galaxy Z Fold4 yet. Hopefully I'll get it soon. For me it still says November 1, 2022 security patch and the Tesla Phobe Key feature does not work for me on this version.
As other suggested, i installed WATT KEY on my Samsung watch 5 pro, and it works really well. I might just use it this way going forward anyways.

Just a note that this issue with bluetooth phone as a key is broader, impacting other manufacturers too. Unbelieveable that this has been an open issue for months and has not been remediated. This is the reason why we have a brand new Fold4 for my wife sitting in the box to replace her iPhone because of the key issue since she is primary driver on the Model S.

As other suggested, i installed WATT KEY on my Samsung watch 5 pro, and it works really well. I might just use it this way going forward anyways.

Just a note that this issue with bluetooth phone as a key is broader, impacting other manufacturers too. Unbelieveable that this has been an open issue for months and has not been remediated. This is the reason why we have a brand new Fold4 for my wife sitting in the box to replace her iPhone because of the key issue since she is primary driver on the Model S.
Just make sure when the Android 13 update comes on that Fold 4 she declines it or you will end up with the same issue :)

Reactions: twilli79
I had to turn off auto updates on all of my apps
You can enable back Auto Update on the Play Store settings and just disable the feature on the Tesla app.

Just go to the Tesla app page on the Play Store and click the three dotted menu on the top right corner. There un-select "Enable auto update".

Make sure you first re-enable the global auto update for all apps, and then disable it just for the Tesla app.

That works for me on Android 13.

Just give it a few days... Check back with us a few days in after downgrading the app.

Reactions: Kyleresq and SamGr
OK!!! WE'RE BACK! I got an update on my fold 4 today and went out to the car and it paired right away and seems to be working, I will update if it drops off again.
what version are you on now? i just installed an OS update yestarday (fold 4 as well) and now i'm completely unable to complete the "set up phone key" process.

hoping by update cadence is just lagging behind yours...

I just wanted to provide a quick update. I am running a FOLD3 and Android 13.
I took the advice on a thread (can't remember which one since there are many on this subject), but I deleted the Telsa App and found an earlier version APK (Nov 22) and installed it. I deleted devices on both the Fold3 and the Tesla and restarted both. I was able to pair the Fold3 as a phone key again after a few tries. After a few drives not bringing my fob, it seems to be working again to allow the car to shift into drive. No telling how long it will last but it at least is paired and is working at the moment. Hopefully this helps some others. I thought it was an Android 13 issues since the forced update but by installing an older Telsa app version, it is back to working which seems to indicate an issue with Telsa's app. I dunno anymore.

Reactions: Hamilton237