Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what version are you on now? i just installed an OS update yestarday (fold 4 as well) and now i'm completely unable to complete the "set up phone key" process.

hoping by update cadence is just lagging behind yours...
not sure which update it was , I have so many different security enhancement, and security software numbers in the about phone, not sure which one it was that was updated

I'm having this issue now on my Fold 4 that just received Android 13. Phone key completely broken. Just tried downgrading to 4.14.3-1431 and still not working.

Interestingly, phone key can be paired by tapping the phone to the pad as of you were pairing a key card, but the Bluetooth connection still doesn't work. In case anyone doesn't know, if the Tesla app is open then the phone does emulate an NFC key card and can be tapped to the B pillar and the card reader in the car. (At least it does on Android IDK about iOS).

Edit: wow literally just after I submitted this post I tried for the 10th time to pair and it paired (using old version of the app). The issue seems to be related to the "Nearby Devices" permission that was added to the app. Maybe they need to do that when targeting a newer Android SDK but have bugs in their new implementation.

Last edited:
So i tried setting up my Fold 4 as a phone key for my 2022 Model X about 30 times. tried allowing every permission, disabling battery optimization, reinstalling the app, using old versions of the app, toggling bluetooth on the phone, connecting bluetooth audio before attempting pair, rebooting the car, everything.

as part of all this, my phone was of course removed as a phone key for my wife's 2022 Model 3. today i tried to re-pair my phone as a key for her car and it worked immediately. wtf...

both model year 2022 vehicles, running 2022.44.25.5... so maybe my issue is the vehicle itself??

Reactions: Jedisparky
Welp, I jinxed it.

Watch doesn't work (bye 10$)
Phone doesn't work with older app per recommendation

So annoying 🙃 let's see if the little keyfob thing works (never used it)
It should with with the old version of the app. I did have to try pairing multiple times after installing the old version. I even upgraded to test and it broke the key, then downgraded again and it took multiple attempts to pair. But it's been working fine for me.

I have been having the same issue with my Z Fold 3 and Tesla X since the last Android update on December 26th. I've tried many different ways suggested by other users and making up myself, but nothing did help. So, a few days ago I've opened a service request with Tesla not knowing if this problem is related with my Tesla car or with my phone (I only read about this issue in this forum a few minutes ago). Today, the Tesla tech guy stopped by my house (what a nice mobile service option!) After asking me what I have already tried with no success, he ran a few diagnostic tests on my car, found zero problems and then few minutes later called me out to show one of his emails showing that this is, indeed, a known issue currently being investigated by both Google and Tesla. No ETA when it'd be fixed.
So, far now, I've been using Watt Key watch app, which seems to working just fine as a key.

Additionally, after uninstalling the current version of Tesla App from my Galaxy Z Fold 3, I've downloaded and installed the older version of Tesla App Version: 2022.44.30.5 (4.14.4-1455). Then, I forgot the Tesla BT connection on my phone and did the same on my Tesla BT devices. Started the Tesla App on the phone, toggled BT connection off and on, and reconnected my phone to Tesla via BT interface in Tesla dashboard. Then I tried to setup my phone key from the Tesla app, and after 2-3 attempts it finally connected to the car. The phone as the key is working right now, but I'll be checking it back tomorrow to see if it holds the connection. And as a backup, I have my Watt Key app on my Samsung watch, which works great.

I just updated my Pixel 5 to Android 13. Since that time I have been having issues with my phone key. At first it worked very sporadically. Now I can't even get it to connect. I've tried uninstalling the app, forgetting Bluetooth, rebooting the car, allowing all permissions etc. Is anybody else having this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Same problem with my ZFlip, it won't connect at all, I've done all deleting reinstalling, allowing, readding, and forgetting I can, even logged my car out of my account and back in, nothing helps. Tesla said it's an issue with the android 13 firmware... so far no help to resolve

Reactions: SamGr
After reading all 8 pages, the only thing that worked on my fold 4 was going back to
The November app update 4.14.3-1431. Phone key then worked, then upgraded to newest app version. Ironically it wasn't working at home, only worked while driving not on wifi.