Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 8.0/9.0 compatibility with phone as a key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using the OnePlus 6t for the last 6 months, with the Tesla app added to the battery non-optimized list. Unlock on approach works 95% of the time. The other 4.99% of the time, it works immediately after I manually open the app. I've only had one case in which I had to power cycle Bluetooth to get it working. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the phone key and would use it over a key fob, even if Tesla provided the fob for free.

can you confirm that walk away lock works with the 6T?

Walk away lock has been flawless on my 6t. As long as the screen turns off when I close the door, it always locks. I believe the times when the screen didn't turn off was because I accidentally activated the "feature" of keeping the car powered on after exiting by keeping my foot on the brake pedal while exiting.

Last edited:
My Nexus 5X on Android 8.1 only worked about 50% of the time, and then only if I turned Bluetooth on just prior to unlocking the car. If I forgot to turn BT off after leaving the car the phone would overheat and drain the battery rapidly. The 5X died a few days ago and I replaced it with the just released Pixel 3a. So far it has worked 100% of the time with BT always on.

What's this? If you press the brake pedal after the door is open, this makes the car stay on or not lock the doors until you do it from the app?

If you keep the brake pedal pressed while you get out of the driver's seat and then close the door, the car will stay on and won't lock. There's a thread somewhere about using this method to keep the 12V active to power small electronics during a power outage. I think someone mentioned that the car will eventually shut down.

A day after I make the post, it happens. Twice today I got in the car, the phone unlocked the door, then it wanted the key card. I thought "No. We ain't doing this again". So I pressed the power button on the phone to turn the screen on, gave it a few seconds, then it worked without the key card. That was not a good feeling.

This makes no sense. If the car detects the phone near the car and unlocks the door, then the seat sensor detects me getting in, then HOW does it not know the phone is there to allow the car to start?

My anecdotal experience:

I had a Google Pixel 1 XL, and it worked maybe 75% of the time. Usually the fails were occasionally having to try the door two or three times in a row before it finally woke up and unlocked. Occasionally having to fish the phone out of my pocket, swipe down and hit "unlock" which of course was very annoying. Additionally, once inside the car I had to often pull the phone out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder in order to put the car into drive (would usually beep and prompt for keycard).

Just last week I upgraded to the recently released Google Pixel 3a and it has been 100% successful opening the car in proximity and letting me start driving while the phone is still in my pocket... very happy with it now.

My anecdotal experience:

I had a Google Pixel 1 XL, and it worked maybe 75% of the time. Usually the fails were occasionally having to try the door two or three times in a row before it finally woke up and unlocked. Occasionally having to fish the phone out of my pocket, swipe down and hit "unlock" which of course was very annoying. Additionally, once inside the car I had to often pull the phone out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder in order to put the car into drive (would usually beep and prompt for keycard).

Just last week I upgraded to the recently released Google Pixel 3a and it has been 100% successful opening the car in proximity and letting me start driving while the phone is still in my pocket... very happy with it now.

i've been debating the oneplus 6T vs the 3a...how do you like it so far as a phone overall?

i've been debating the oneplus 6T vs the 3a...how do you like it so far as a phone overall?

Don't have any experience with Oneplus but compared to the Pixel 1 it seems fine. I haven't noticed the supposedly slower SoC and the battery life is much improved vs. the aged 3 year old battery in the Pixel 1. Camera is great of course, superior to the Pixel 1. Personally I'm enjoying having a smaller phone vs. the XL size, but that's just my personal preferences changing.

A lot of OnePlus owners, myself included, are having problems placing calls over Bluetooth with the latest (2019.12.x) Tesla software series:

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

I don't know if this problem affects the 6T (I see no reports about it specifically), but it does affect some other models from OnePlus. (Mine is a 5T.) With prior Tesla versions, this problem didn't occur, or at worst it wasn't as bad. (I had about a 50% success rate with Bluetooth calls with Tesla's 2019.8.x software.) With any luck this problem will be resolved soon, but I can make no promises of that. Note also that phones other than OnePlus models are affected, including both non-OnePlus Android phones and some (mostly older?) iPhones.

A lot of OnePlus owners, myself included, are having problems placing calls over Bluetooth with the latest (2019.12.x) Tesla software series:

Bluetooth problems on phone calls only

I don't know if this problem affects the 6T (I see no reports about it specifically), but it does affect some other models from OnePlus. (Mine is a 5T.) With prior Tesla versions, this problem didn't occur, or at worst it wasn't as bad. (I had about a 50% success rate with Bluetooth calls with Tesla's 2019.8.x software.) With any luck this problem will be resolved soon, but I can make no promises of that. Note also that phones other than OnePlus models are affected, including both non-OnePlus Android phones and some (mostly older?) iPhones.

interestingly enough, i've gone the other direction on my op5. i had all kinds of bluetooth calling issues prior to a few releases ago, and since then it has been rock solid. i'm on a custom ROM, if that makes a difference...not sure if the issues are oxygen OS related (although it wouldn't surprise me since OOS is horrible overall).

Don't have any experience with Oneplus but compared to the Pixel 1 it seems fine. I haven't noticed the supposedly slower SoC and the battery life is much improved vs. the aged 3 year old battery in the Pixel 1. Camera is great of course, superior to the Pixel 1. Personally I'm enjoying having a smaller phone vs. the XL size, but that's just my personal preferences changing.

the slower soc is what worries me, coming from a flagship like the op5. i went to best buy last night and played with both and it seemed snappy enough, i may give it a shot. deciding between the regular and the XL is another story, i can't come to a consensus on that. the XL is the same footprint as my op5 but a larger screen, the regular is a slightly larger screen in an even smaller footprint. decisions, decisions...

interestingly enough, i've gone the other direction on my op5. i had all kinds of bluetooth calling issues prior to a few releases ago, and since then it has been rock solid. i'm on a custom ROM, if that makes a difference...not sure if the issues are oxygen OS related (although it wouldn't surprise me since OOS is horrible overall).

which ROM are you running ? lineage-16.0 is not working for calls on oneplus 5t. However, the car display sometimes crashes and reboots when attempting to make a call so I'm dubious that it's lineage that has the root cause.

which ROM are you running ? lineage-16.0 is not working for calls on oneplus 5t. However, the car display sometimes crashes and reboots when attempting to make a call so I'm dubious that it's lineage that has the root cause.

crdroid. currently on 4-30 build and it has worked perfectly (and did so on builds prior to this as well), about to update to 5-14...hopefully without issue.

also of note: i have an op5, not the 5t. not sure if that matters, but wanted to make sure to clarify.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I have had similar experience as timk225 where it unlocks fine in the morning. Then I make a quick stop at a store and the door doesn't unlock when I return. The quickest workaround is turning Airplane mode on/off or Bluetooth on/off. That immediately fixes it, but it's still a pain in the neck to dig out the phone. Also, a friend gave me a tip that the key card will unlock your door even in your wallet. So that's a quick workaround too. I have had 0 problems (owned it 6 weeks so far) with it locking when I walk away.

I had reported this issue to Tesla via the Request Help button in my account on the web site. They replied about a week later with a series of questions. After several exchanges, they finally came back with this response: "Please unpair your phone and repair it. Once repaired please ensure the Tesla app remains running in the back ground, there is a known issue with android phones not working correctly with our app if the app is closed."

I have asked when they expect a fix and/or requested a way to be notified when fix. I'm not holding out too much hope, though, as the issue did occur another time when I had the app running. That time I had to use the key card to unlock. I have not tried yet to unpair and re-pair. It does work about 80% of the time so I doubt either of those suggestions will change anything.

UPDATE: I continued to exchange emails with Advanced Tesla Support on this issue. They told me to make sure that the Tesla app has permissions for Location set to enabled, and that "Change system settings" (or "Modify system settings") is also on. I already had Location set to on, but did not have permission allowed for "Modify system settings". I set that to on a few days ago and have not had any problems since. The situation where the phone key always failed when I drove the car, stopped/left for a brief period of time (minute or two) and returned has worked both times that I tried it this week.

These settings are located under Settings - Apps - Tesla. "Modify system settings" may be located under Advanced. Note that I do not keep the app running. I truly don't believe that has anything to do with it.

UPDATE: I continued to exchange emails with Advanced Tesla Support on this issue. They told me to make sure that the Tesla app has permissions for Location set to enabled, and that "Change system settings" (or "Modify system settings") is also on. I already had Location set to on, but did not have permission allowed for "Modify system settings". I set that to on a few days ago and have not had any problems since. The situation where the phone key always failed when I drove the car, stopped/left for a brief period of time (minute or two) and returned has worked both times that I tried it this week.

These settings are located under Settings - Apps - Tesla. "Modify system settings" may be located under Advanced. Note that I do not keep the app running. I truly don't believe that has anything to do with it.

this isn't a universal fix...i have always had modify system settings enabled and it still doesn't work reliably.