TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Android App Notifications Missing? (Dec 2016)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DrumCoder, Dec 13, 2016.

1. DrumCoder

DrumCoder Member

First, I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this, but go ahead and merge this with an existing thread if I didn't see it...

...Starting last week, I stopped getting notifications from the Android app. This coincided with a recent update of my phone (Galaxy Note 4 on Verizon, not rooted) on last Friday (Dec 9, 2016) and it seemed to reset a lot of my app permissions - I have to re-enable location permissions on many apps, which actually is fine with me. But, now I no longer get the charging started/stopped notifications that I'm used to. The app on my old iPad 2 is still receiving notifications so I know this isn't affecting iOS.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Tesla app, and turned off and then back on the push notifications inside the app after the reinstall, and still don't see anything. Is anyone else experiencing this issue on Android, or is it because something got screwy inside my phone and it's just a me problem?

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

I just picked up my car last Wednesday and I haven't received a single notification yet in the Android app. I got an update notification in my car yesterday but didn't know about it until I was leaving for work. When I installed the update, I didn't get any notification that it was done. I have almost every notification option selected but am not receiving notifications for charging, etc.

3. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

My notifications also recently stopped working. My Nexus 6P was just upgraded to Android 7.1.1. That could be the cause. Is anyone else having this problem?

4. MorrisonHiker

Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1 and no notifications ever.

5. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Uninstall and reinstall the app.

Worth a try, right?

Mike

6. MorrisonHiker

I'll give that a try on both of my devices (neither of which have ever received notifications). We also have at least 4 or 5 other Android devices that I can try to see if they behave any differently.

7. ccharleb

ccharleb Member

I also stopped receiving notifications a few days ago... worked perfectly (well... mostly) since delivery 1.5 years ago.... strange.... Nexus 5 with android 6.0.1

• Informative x 1
  8. DrumCoder

DrumCoder Member

Already tried, and even went ahead and manually shut off notifications in the app after the reinstall and re-enabled them.

My update was to 6.0.1.

Once thing I did notice is that the Charging Started/Stopped notifications are not enabled by default, at least they weren't when I reinstalled. I re-enabled them but they didn't come through last night.

9. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

I have the same issue. the notification stopping working starting several days ago. I have Nexus 5, Android Version 6.0.1, build #M4B30X

10. Alex D

Alex D Member

Yup, same here. LG v20, Android 7.0

11. ccharleb

ccharleb Member

Maybe Tesla changed something related to the app update coming soon?

12. TodMichael65

TodMichael65 Member

I'm also having the issue. Began to notice it a few days ago, but it's probably been at least a week. I've deleted all app cache, restarted the phone. I'm getting notifications from all other apps. Motorola Nexus 6 with 7.0 on it. I have not received any phone OS updates or security patches before this started (i.e. it was working fine). It's probably something at Tesla's end as the phone has to push the notifications through Tesla to the app.

13. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

I will keep an eye out today, my car is at the Service Center so I expect it to be charging at some point. I have a Nexus 6P and have been on 7.1.1 for a while now and notifications always worked so it needs to be something on the Tesla side.

14. Xenius

Xenius Member

My wife and I have noticed the same thing. Not sure when exactly it started, but certainly hasn't been working in the past week. She has a Nexus 5x and I have a Pixel XL, both signed into my personal myTesla account.

15. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

I like the Pixel but not enough to leave my 6P and spend the premium

16. JFoX

JFoX Member

Same here (in France, but why should it be different ?).
    Chinese generic Android phone on Android 5.1
    The root cause is probably on Tesla side...

17. Xenius

Xenius Member

Yeah, honestly I had no need to move from the 6P. I just like the bleeding edge and wanted the google assistant integration (it's really good, especailly because I have a google home now too).

• Like x 1
  18. scottm

scottm Active Member

Ditto here, notifs still working on my wife's ipad and no longer working on my droid, as we sit side by side and the car finishes charging, she knows it and I don't.. Typical of most things in our relationship. :p So, everything is working as expected!

The good side of this is of course, is that she's awesome. We'll be talking on the phone at the end of my work day, and she'll offer stuff like, "do you want me to pre-heat the car for you"... knowing that I'm sitting in a network locked down bunker and there's no way for my App to reach the car.

• Funny x 1
  19. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Same here. No Notifications and no change in phone app or release.

20. Kbra

Kbra Member

No worries. It's BETA they will get it finished in the next 5-10 years.

• Funny x 2