Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android app to schedule charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been working on an app called Ctrl+T in my spare time that allows the vehicles charging level to be scheduled remotely within a 24 hour period. The app works by waking an android device and sending commands to the vehicle at a designated time. It requires a My Tesla login, but the username and password are not saved. Only the API token is stored on the device.

I hope to add more functionality in the future. I appreciate any feedback as I continue developing this app.

If anyone would like to try it they can access the beta here: Beta Link

Known issues:
  • Last configured charge level and time of charging are not displayed when the app is reopened.
  • The enabled button does not always toggle off even though the command is canceled.
    • If the message shows canceled, then the scheduled command is canceled.
  • Scheduled charges do not persist over device reboots yet
  • Can only schedule charging up to 24 hours in advance.
  • Only supports scheduling one command at a time.

Screenshot_1478177661.png

I have moved Ctrl+T out of beta and it can be found in the play store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentesla.android.

Recently added support for:
  • Scheduling to turn on the HVAC
  • Storing the last configured setting for scheduled commands
  • Fixed enable button issue
  • Scheduled commands persist over reboot

Right now I am working on redoing the GUI to improve the scheduling interface and support an unlimited number of commands. I am also adding the ability to schedule other commands such as opening the sunroof, unlocking/locking the door, etc.

I am open sourcing it and allow others to use or contribute to the development. The github site can be found at GitHub - NPKStudios/OpenTesla: Android app for interacting with the Tesla API

Feel free to provide feedback or any ideas you have.

Looks nice (from the pictures)! Quick question: What devices does it support? I have both a Sony Xperia Z5 (running 6.0.1) and Google Nexus 7 (running pure Android), and in Google Play I get a message saying this app does not support these devices.

Thanks! Now it's downloadable for Norwegians. :) I'll give it a try!

(...But right now there seem to be a problem with my own "My Tesla" user of some kind. I get an error on both the official app and third party apps saying that "Mobile App Remote Access is OFF" in the car, which it is not.)

That is strange. I'm not really sure what would fix that for you. Hopefully Tesla is looking into the issue.

If you are feeling really ambitious, you can download the source and attempt to debug it by looking at the splash screen code which pulls all of the vehicles from your account.

It is strange indeed, but don't worry about it. As mentioned, it's a problem with all apps, both official and third party. Called Telsa last night, but they were unable to fix the issue then. Will give it another try today.

I uploaded the new task scheduling interface. The new update allows users to schedule an unlimited number of tasks as well as adding some new tasks. Tasks can be changed by selecting the description of the task and selecting the task type from the popup.

* Note: New update can effect some previously schedule tasks and you may have to reschedule or configure them again.

New tasks added:
  • Unlock Doors
  • Lock Doors
  • Stop HVAC
I'm working on cleaning up some of the code and adding repeating tasks with days of the week. I am also adding more types of tasks as I get time.

I have also added a beta that can be found here where I will be publishing quicker updates:
Sign in - Google Accounts

Main app:
Ctrl+T - Android Apps on Google Play

Some photos of the new interface:
Screenshot_1480597897_framed.png Screenshot_1480596626_framed.png Screenshot_1480596633_framed.png

cool app. What I really need is an app that charges to a SOC at a certain time. I try and schedule my 90% to be when I leave in the morning, If I'm planing a range trip for the next day, I don't want to be at 100% for 3 or 4 hours prior to leaving. I can't believe you can't do that with the standard Tesla app, it already knows (about) how long it takes to complete the charge.

cool app. What I really need is an app that charges to a SOC at a certain time. I try and schedule my 90% to be when I leave in the morning, If I'm planing a range trip for the next day, I don't want to be at 100% for 3 or 4 hours prior to leaving. I can't believe you can't do that with the standard Tesla app, it already knows (about) how long it takes to complete the charge.
Thanks! I had looked into trying to set a designated time to finish charging but I did not feel that I could reliably calculate the charge time for each variant without a significant time investment. I really wish that they would implement the functionality of my app into their own since they could easily have the car do all of the scheduling for the actions.