Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android App Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some of the most recent APKs:
Code:
Tesla 4.14.3-1431   November 11     2022
Tesla 4.14.2-1411   November 4      2022
Tesla 4.14.1-1395   October 19      2022
Tesla 4.14.0-1377   October 17      2022
Tesla 4.13.3-1334   October 5       2022
Tesla 4.13.0-1308   September 20    2022
Tesla 4.12.1-1271   September 11    2022
Tesla 4.12.0-1257   August 30       2022
Tesla 4.11.2-1215   August 11       2022
Tesla 4.11.1-1195   August 2        2022
I used to download this list frequently and update the app via APK as soon as a new version was available but I stopped because it seemed like a waste of time. I'm currently on the Nov. 4th version which was updated by the Play Store.

If you want the latest and greatest then visit an APK mirror and update the app via an APK.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Why does it takes so long for Tesla to update the Android App? It's seems like it is taking weeks if not months for the latest app.
About a year ago, I downloaded one from an APK mirror site to get it earlier. IIRC, it was to get an app that would show me my Tesla safety score for FSD beta access. Also IIRC, it took about 1-2 weeks between the app becoming publicly available on that mirror site and it appearing in the official Google Play Store. For the most part, IMHO that's not a big deal. Most app updates offer minor improvements, and even the major redesigns rarely affect functionality in a big way; they're just different "eye candy." There are, of course, those rare cases when a new version fixes a bug that's causing you problems or that adds a new feature that's important to you -- like that FSD beta safety score readout for me. In those cases, you can get it a bit earlier by going to an APK mirror site. As I said, I did it that once. Literally once. I've owned my Tesla for over 3.5 years.

As to why it takes a while, my understanding is that it's the bureaucracy involved in getting an update approved for inclusion in the Google Play Store. Not being an Android developer, I don't know the details, but my understanding is that Google needs to scan submissions for viruses and perform other tests on them, and this just takes a while. That said, I haven't followed this issue all that closely, so take this answer with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
As to why it takes a while, my understanding is that it's the bureaucracy involved in getting an update approved for inclusion in the Google Play Store. Not being an Android developer, I don't know the details, but my understanding is that Google needs to scan submissions for viruses and perform other tests on them, and this just takes a while. That said, I haven't followed this issue all that closely, so take this answer with a grain of salt.
I believe APKs get to APKMirror only after they're available to some users and one of them then uploads it to APKMirror.

The main delay is that Tesla has set the Play Store to do slow rollouts like they do with car updates.

Note: Tesla's Android app updates frequently get stuck, at least on my phone. In Play Store app > Manage apps & device, it shows that the update didn't work. Tap to make it try again. [If anyone knows how to fix that, please speak up.] Right now it was 2 releases behind. So if yours is behind, check that.

Google typically approves my own Android app releases in a day or two (weekdays in India or somewhere).

Google's official answer on app review times:
Updates to existing apps are processed and published as soon as possible. By default, your app will use standard publishing. Certain apps may be subject to extended reviews, which may result in review times of up to 7 days or longer in exceptional cases.

Upvote 0