TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Android App Weirdness

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dave, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dave

dave Member

I am experiencing the following issues with the Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S4:

- Charge Limit Slider has completely disappeared

This started happening after the 5.8.4 update. When I rebooted the car, it magically reappeared in the app. However it has since disappeared again, and now I cannot get it back despite rebooting the car (both screens), the phone, and completely removing and reinstalling the app (deleting the cache prior).

The behavior occurs regardless of what network I am on - home wireless, 4G, or other network.

The slider DOES work on my wife's iPhone and iPad running on our same home wireless network.

- Second issue is lag while refreshing screens, especially with the GPS tracking. I get a map/speed update roughly every 15 seconds while the car is in motion. It's not a huge deal, but I compared to my wife's iPhone and iPad and the app there refreshes every one to two seconds which is a much nicer experience.

Anyone else seeing these issues on the Android app?

I am kind of disappointed because I bought a BRAND NEW phone solely for this app because my old Galaxy Nexus had issues opening and closing the app (had to manually kill it each time).

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

- Dave

2. rlang59

rlang59 Member

As far as I know the Android app has never had the charge slider. They only updated the iPhone app to support that.

3. dave

dave Member

Well I can confirm that it exists on the Android app, as I used it often before it disappeared...

4. rlang59

rlang59 Member

I've been using the android app since May and have never seen the slider.

5. wts13

wts13 Member

Also never seen the slider, been using since May.

The Android app could use some attention, though.

6. dave

dave Member

Well now you have me thinking I've gone crazy... I swear it was there.

What about the refresh delay? Do you guys see that?

7. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Yes I have always had those delays with the app. Tesla has pretty much put little to no effort into the Android app.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I have never had the slider in the Android app. Just a choice for Standard or Max Range.

9. bob_p

bob_p Member

The iPhone app has had the slider for a while - how much longer until Tesla distributes an updated Android app with the slider?

10. doggshine

doggshine Member

I would love an updated android app.

11. Seattle

Seattle Member

On android I've never seen the slider. I believe you didn't notice that the android app didn't have the slider before.

12. Kraken

Kraken Member

There was no slider in android or apple apps until they updated the apple one. Now the android hasn't been updated yet, so, still no slider.

android has always been slower. At first it needed force closing between each use! Either a new phone, or something has made it better.

13. mckemie

mckemie Member

I've never seen a slider on Android; I have the Tesla app on three Androids. My current version of the Tesla app is 1.0.30. I'm sure looking forward to Tesla giving more attention to the app; I find it VERY clunky and un-reliable. I also look forward to a browser interface to the car. The first Leafs sold had browser access.

14. dave

dave Member

Coulda sworn I saw it on my Android... I must have gotten it mixed up with my wife's iPhone. Didn't we get an update around the same time as the iPhone?

15. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

No.

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Been using since May, never had a slider. I've not had many issues until lately, sometimes after it connects to the car and displays status I get a random "Can't connect, retry?" message. It reconnects, but I get that message repeatedly. That's the only issue with the Android app I've had.

17. jyc

jyc Member

Android app definitely never had a highly adjustable charge slider. Just a "Standard" and "Max range" selection. Have been jealous of my wife's iOS version that does have the slider since some time in November. Also that version doesn't seem to have the annoying bug where you have to open the app twice to get it to connect (even before any firmware with a working sleep mode). This happens on my phone as well as my Nexus tablets, so it's not specific to any specific device I use.

While I'd love to see any attention paid to the android app, if it takes resources away from adding/fixing features in the actual car firmware, I'll stick with the current android app. If you're near anything that can run Java apps, Visible Tesla (on these forums) works quite well!