Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android App Weirdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing the following issues with the Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S4:

- Charge Limit Slider has completely disappeared

This started happening after the 5.8.4 update. When I rebooted the car, it magically reappeared in the app. However it has since disappeared again, and now I cannot get it back despite rebooting the car (both screens), the phone, and completely removing and reinstalling the app (deleting the cache prior).

The behavior occurs regardless of what network I am on - home wireless, 4G, or other network.

The slider DOES work on my wife's iPhone and iPad running on our same home wireless network.

- Second issue is lag while refreshing screens, especially with the GPS tracking. I get a map/speed update roughly every 15 seconds while the car is in motion. It's not a huge deal, but I compared to my wife's iPhone and iPad and the app there refreshes every one to two seconds which is a much nicer experience.

Anyone else seeing these issues on the Android app?

I am kind of disappointed because I bought a BRAND NEW phone solely for this app because my old Galaxy Nexus had issues opening and closing the app (had to manually kill it each time).

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

- Dave

I am experiencing the following issues with the Android app on my Samsung Galaxy S4:

- Charge Limit Slider has completely disappeared

This started happening after the 5.8.4 update. When I rebooted the car, it magically reappeared in the app. However it has since disappeared again, and now I cannot get it back despite rebooting the car (both screens), the phone, and completely removing and reinstalling the app (deleting the cache prior).

The behavior occurs regardless of what network I am on - home wireless, 4G, or other network.

The slider DOES work on my wife's iPhone and iPad running on our same home wireless network.

- Second issue is lag while refreshing screens, especially with the GPS tracking. I get a map/speed update roughly every 15 seconds while the car is in motion. It's not a huge deal, but I compared to my wife's iPhone and iPad and the app there refreshes every one to two seconds which is a much nicer experience.

Anyone else seeing these issues on the Android app?

I am kind of disappointed because I bought a BRAND NEW phone solely for this app because my old Galaxy Nexus had issues opening and closing the app (had to manually kill it each time).

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

- Dave

As far as I know the Android app has never had the charge slider. They only updated the iPhone app to support that.

There was no slider in android or apple apps until they updated the apple one. Now the android hasn't been updated yet, so, still no slider.

android has always been slower. At first it needed force closing between each use! Either a new phone, or something has made it better.

I've never seen a slider on Android; I have the Tesla app on three Androids. My current version of the Tesla app is 1.0.30. I'm sure looking forward to Tesla giving more attention to the app; I find it VERY clunky and un-reliable. I also look forward to a browser interface to the car. The first Leafs sold had browser access.

Been using since May, never had a slider. I've not had many issues until lately, sometimes after it connects to the car and displays status I get a random "Can't connect, retry?" message. It reconnects, but I get that message repeatedly. That's the only issue with the Android app I've had.

Android app definitely never had a highly adjustable charge slider. Just a "Standard" and "Max range" selection. Have been jealous of my wife's iOS version that does have the slider since some time in November. Also that version doesn't seem to have the annoying bug where you have to open the app twice to get it to connect (even before any firmware with a working sleep mode). This happens on my phone as well as my Nexus tablets, so it's not specific to any specific device I use.

While I'd love to see any attention paid to the android app, if it takes resources away from adding/fixing features in the actual car firmware, I'll stick with the current android app. If you're near anything that can run Java apps, Visible Tesla (on these forums) works quite well!