Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay, please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what I was saying, at all.

My bad then. I agree that options are good and so CarPlay would be welcome. Personally though I'm more curious about what Tesla is doing to be different from other auto makers instead of following their lead.

If Tesla doesn't intend to add more meaningful apps to the car then by all means please add CarPlay like yesterday.

Yes, CarPlay and the Google equivalent are needed and should be high priority for integation with the rumored 17 inch display UI update.

Not having CarPlay is one of the few things that hinders my full appreciation for my MS. In particular, no CarPlay in my MS means having to manually select my podcasts on the iPhone. Also, where does Tesla's software pick up the art work it displays? I have some shall we say "curious" art work displayed for most of the podcasts I listen to. Oh, I also don't like my call history being pulled from the iPhone by the current Tesla software.

Today's The Wall Street Journal has a comparison of Apple Car Play with Android Auto.
Apple CarPlay Review: Siri’s Finally on the Right Road - WSJ
According to this, "Despite being announced by Apple nearly two years ago, car makers are only finally rolling it out. Chevrolet will include it in 14 models in the coming months. Other car makers such as Hyundai, Honda and Volkswagen are doing the same....Many car makers are supporting both Android Auto and CarPlay in the same models....It’s all an effort to integrate the smartphone into every part of our lives."

My wife's 8 year old Toyota has a better radio (better reception) than my Tesla Model S does. Until the Tesla entertainment system is improved, it would sure be nice if Tesla integrated Car Play and Android Auto into the Model S.

No way will CarPlay come to Tesla any time soon.

These guys won't even use someone else's satnav system. No way they ever use someone else's app infrastructure. They'll build it all themselves...... eventually.

Carplay isn't someone else's app infrastructure, it's a dumb window the phone presents a UI to and passes messages back. There are a ton of other manufacturers including Carplay and Android Auto. I think they'll be forced to eventually. Especially if the media and nav feature sets continue to lag behind: it's a good way to relieve pressure from their team.

And for the record, they DO use someone else's nav system.

Any new word on whether Carplay or Android Auto will make it to the Model S...and more importantly, be RETROFITTABLE to the existing Model S? My fear here is that they will get it, but it will ultimately require new hardware. In theory it is "just" a projection of the phone's screen, but in reality, I see reports of lag, etc. and the hardware may very well make a difference here.

Now that we are seeing Carplay on competing cars and Android Auto will appear on several more by the end of Q1 2016, this would seem to be an area where "tech/phone addicted" consumers will clamor for. Sure, the early implementations are proving a bit buggy (for Carplay anyway - per my reading on the Volvo and Volt forums), but I can see this being the default standard VERY shortly.

“As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an app standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display, as opposed to trying to create a new app ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future to enable you to project apps from your phone to the center screen.”

I wii believe when I see it & it actually works.

“As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an app standpoint is to maybe allow apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the center display, as opposed to trying to create a new app ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future to enable you to project apps from your phone to the center screen.”

I wii believe when I see it & it actually works.
That's fair, all things Elon is subject to change