Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Notifications in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to to let you know that it is now possible to get Android phone notifications to pop up in the Tesla center screen by using the A Better Routeplanner in-car-browser route planner and navigator. Technically, it connects to the Pushbullet service and relies on its Android app to mirror notifications.

Simply browse to ABRP and login to Pushbullet via the notification icon down right.

And yes, Tesla can easily add this functionality themselves, but until they do (in 8.1?) this works.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 19.50.00.png

Last edited:
I may try to add this to the Tesla Winds app. API looks fairly involved, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to add this functionality.

The Pushbullet API is not too complicated, but the Tesla browser limitations are. I had to write an own proxy to keep encrypted connections between the browser and the Pushbullet servers, and you can use it too if you want. Send me a PM for details.

I may try to add this to the Tesla Winds app. API looks fairly involved, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to add this functionality.

The Pushbullet API is not too complicated, but the Tesla browser limitations are. I had to write an own proxy to keep encrypted connections between the browser and the Pushbullet servers, and you can use it too if you want. Send me a PM for details.

This would be awesome! (I'm the one that asked for it in your thread, @SomeJoe7777, after seeing this thread.)

So cool to see cooperation between you two!

Providing text-to-voice support for smartphone notifications is provided on much lower priced cars, and it's surprising that Tesla still hasn't added at least this basic level of integration, 4.5 years after the Model S was released. [Would also be very helpful to have voice-to-text to send messages!]

It's not just a convenience feature - it is a safety feature, reducing the need to pick up a smartphone to handle messaging, something that is illegal in many places.

This is so long overdue from Tesla. Can't believe it's still not possible. I was so frustrated by this that I actually developed a website to capture my texts and missed calls from my phone and continually update the information on the browser screen. No reading to me though that would be ideal. But at least I have a non-time-sensitive way to read the texts when I have the right moment to do it. Still don't like the visual distraction though. Hope Tesla fixes this soon.