Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android phone - contacts sync?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have three Verizon Android phones, running Android 6.1, 6.1.1, and 7.1. The Tesla app features work on all three phones, with the exception of syncing contacts and call history.

Does anyone use a Verizon Android phone and have success syncing contacts?

If so, I hope you won't mind sharing your phone model and the version of Android you're using.

I'll sell the car before I'll switch to the iPhone!

Please help, thanks!

Note: The car was at the local Service Center yesterday for five hours, and the still could not get any of my phones to sync.

Did you pair the phone to the car as a phone (not only as a key)? There's a pairing process to use it as a key, and then regular BT pairing to use it as a phone.

I have noticed that my phone isn't particularly reliable about how quickly it will pair to the car when I get in (versus my add-on BT adapter for my old car which always worked but was audio only). Also, seems every time I make/take a call I don't hear the other end for at least 30s then it starts working.

New Model 3 owner with same problem with my Android, 7.0. I tried it a multiple ways, and eventually received a message on the phone asked if if was willing to allow "data share." Once I said yes, the contact sync was speedy! Just hope I don't have to go thru that every time to sync!

Reactions: fyresoul
IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I have struggled with Bluetooth Contacts/Call History Sync problems since taking possession of our Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on 10/31/2018. My workaround was to Disable Contacts/Call History, which makes hands-free calling all but impossible. I had a Google Pixel XL cellphone, finally gave up and upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but the Sync problem persisted. I performed a careful search of all 1000+ of my Google/Gmail Contacts for the "&" character and replaced it with "and" (or deleted the offending Contact) in every case, after a second pass today 5/6/2019 this FINALLY fixed the Sync problem after nearly 6 months and 6 different Tesla Service Requests / Tesla Service Center visits. Note that the characters ,./()- are all perfectly OK, just the character & appears to cause the problem (and perhaps the unusual characters #!@$%^*<>+= used in the contact title/name ???). You would think Tesla would fix this, they admitted to me that they have had many owners who have had this same Contacts Sync problem. I am running Tesla Model 3 Software Version 2019.12.1.2. 5c87371 (just installed 5/5/2019).

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht