Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[android] Phone nfc unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You longer term owners probably know all about this....
But I was testing something out on my M3 today (bored at home etc):
I have my (android) phone paired as a key etc, all working normally.
I generally don't have bluetooth switched on unless I'm using the car as it drains battery (of the phone).

I just thought as an extra backup way to open/drive the car maybe I could put my phone to the pillar and open it (using NFC). I had bluetooth off on the phone, screen on(but screen locked). Put phone to pillar, car unlocks.
Put car in D and it asks for card auth, put phone on cup holder and we've off...
Got out put phone on pillar, car locks.
Quite a nice extra way to unlock, in case bluetooth method stops working etc.
Chris

I'll try this as having major issues with Samsung s20 unlocking or not unlocking as the case may be. Very frustrating It won't unlock unless you make the phone "Awake" not sure if it's a phone or car issue ??

I'll try this as having major issues with Samsung s20 unlocking or not unlocking as the case may be. Very frustrating It won't unlock unless you make the phone "Awake" not sure if it's a phone or car issue ??
Are the Samsung battery saver settings killing/preventing the Tesla app from running in background? Would go and check settings and make sure it's exempted from any of those things.

On my Doogee (sorry china rugged phone, but very good) in the settings you can stop the phone from shutting off backgrounded apps. If that's an option on the samsung, choose the tesla app and tell it to not to.
On my Doogee I needed screen on, nfc set to on and tap to pay set to on, then it'll unlock the car with a tap on the pillar.
Chris

I was having trouble unlocking my car using Samsung S10 phone over the last month or so. Last week I followed the procedure below and it's been working fine since then.

Step 1: Find the Tesla app and long press on the icon. An "App info" option appears. Select that.

Step 2: Tap on "Battery". This now shows you a new page of battery info specific to the app.

Step 3: Scroll all the way down and tap on "Battery optimization." You're now on a page that shows apps and services that are not battery optimized. the goal is to add the Tesla app to this list.

Step 4: At the top of the screen, tap the "Not optimized" dropdown menu and choose "All apps"

Step 5: Scroll down and find the Tesla app. Tap it. You should now have a modal window with two radio button selections: "Optimize" and "Don't optimize."

Step 6: Tap the "Don't optimize" radio option and press DONE.

Repeat steps 1 - 4, but scroll down to "Bluetooth" app. Tap it. You should now have a modal window with two radio button selections: "Optimize" and "Don't optimize." Tap the "Don't optimize" radio option and press DONE.

And that's it! To verify that you did the above correctly: tap on the dropdown at the top of the screen (it should still be on "All apps") and select "Not optimized." Scroll down the list and make sure the Tesla app and Bluetooth app is there. If it is, you're all set.

For good measure, toggle Airplane mode on and off.

Note; It has failed a couple of times to unlock, but waiting 1 - 2 seconds and trying again it did unlock, without getting out the phone of my pocket!

I was having trouble unlocking my car using Samsung S10 phone over the last month or so. Last week I followed the procedure below and it's been working fine since then.

Step 1: Find the Tesla app and long press on the icon. An "App info" option appears. Select that.

Step 2: Tap on "Battery". This now shows you a new page of battery info specific to the app.

Step 3: Scroll all the way down and tap on "Battery optimization." You're now on a page that shows apps and services that are not battery optimized. the goal is to add the Tesla app to this list.

Step 4: At the top of the screen, tap the "Not optimized" dropdown menu and choose "All apps"

Step 5: Scroll down and find the Tesla app. Tap it. You should now have a modal window with two radio button selections: "Optimize" and "Don't optimize."

Repeat steps 1 - 4, but scroll down to "Bluetooth" app. Tap it. You should now have a modal window with two radio button selections: "Optimize" and "Don't optimize." Tap the "Don't optimize" radio option and press DONE.

And that's it! To verify that you did the above correctly: tap on the dropdown at the top of the screen (it should still be on "All apps") and select "Not optimized." Scroll down the list and make sure the Tesla app and Bluetooth app is there. If it is, you're all set.

Note; It has failed a couple of times to unlock, but waiting 1 - 2 seconds and trying again it did unlock, without getting out the phone of my pocket!
This seems to of worked on my Samsung S20, I now do not have to wake my phone up to open then doors, thanks Kelvin

Spot on this mate. Works a treat. Thanks for the advise.

You longer term owners probably know all about this....
But I was testing something out on my M3 today (bored at home etc):
I have my (android) phone paired as a key etc, all working normally.
I generally don't have bluetooth switched on unless I'm using the car as it drains battery (of the phone).

I just thought as an extra backup way to open/drive the car maybe I could put my phone to the pillar and open it (using NFC). I had bluetooth off on the phone, screen on(but screen locked). Put phone to pillar, car unlocks.
Put car in D and it asks for card auth, put phone on cup holder and we've off...
Got out put phone on pillar, car locks.
Quite a nice extra way to unlock, in case bluetooth method stops working etc.
Chris

Sounds like something is wrong if you are getting battery drain from Bluetooth. It should make almost no difference if you just have it turned on but not in active use, e.g. streaming music or Android Auto.