Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Phone not recognized.

Over the past several days it appears that my MY is not recognizing my phone. I cannot unlock the car and it is asking for the key card. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Tesla app on my phone but today had the same issue. I eventually could manually unlock via the app, but when I got in the car and tried to put it in Drive, it again requested that I place the key card in the center console area.

I closed the app in my phone and reopened it at then was able to put it in drive. Has anyone seen something similar? Familiar with a fix? I have a Samsung S20 Android phone.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Probably bluetooth issues. Some people have good results simply disabling/enabling bluetooth on the phone. Some have to reboot the phone.

I've had it not work a couple times but without making any changes it started working again. Maybe the phone did software updates and rebooted on its own but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: MrWattson
On my Pixel 5 phone, this happens only after many days of not using the apps. It maybe weeks before I open the app. When this happen, I just open the app again or just use the phone NFC to start the car. In case you didn't know, when my phone is unlocked I can use the NFC to unlock/lock the car as well as drive it. I haven't used my key card for a long time, but I do have it in my wallet. This feature does not work in iPhone since Apple controls who can use NFC. I tried with my wife's iphone.

Good to know bluenycom!

Pixel 5 also, and I've had this issue. Seems to be a Bluetooth battery saver related issue.

My fix is to open the Tesla app, sometimes that works to get in the car, then once inside if it's asking for a card I'll toggle the Bluetooth button.

The first time it happened I was pretty disappointed, shaking my faith on only using my phone and not having a backup. I'll always have a card now. Just in case (also if my phone dies).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC