Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Phone not recognized.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past several days it appears that my MY is not recognizing my phone. I cannot unlock the car and it is asking for the key card. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Tesla app on my phone but today had the same issue. I eventually could manually unlock via the app, but when I got in the car and tried to put it in Drive, it again requested that I place the key card in the center console area.

I closed the app in my phone and reopened it at then was able to put it in drive. Has anyone seen something similar? Familiar with a fix? I have a Samsung S20 Android phone.

Reactions: lachambers
Probably bluetooth issues. Some people have good results simply disabling/enabling bluetooth on the phone. Some have to reboot the phone.

I've had it not work a couple times but without making any changes it started working again. Maybe the phone did software updates and rebooted on its own but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: MrWattson
I always carry the key card as backup just in case of situations like this or a lost/broken phone.

As an update, I did reset the Bluetooth connection and restart my phone yesterday. I only went out for a short shopping trip but so far, so good.

On my Pixel 5 phone, this happens only after many days of not using the apps. It maybe weeks before I open the app. When this happen, I just open the app again or just use the phone NFC to start the car. In case you didn't know, when my phone is unlocked I can use the NFC to unlock/lock the car as well as drive it. I haven't used my key card for a long time, but I do have it in my wallet. This feature does not work in iPhone since Apple controls who can use NFC. I tried with my wife's iphone.

Good to know bluenycom!

Pixel 5 also, and I've had this issue. Seems to be a Bluetooth battery saver related issue.

My fix is to open the Tesla app, sometimes that works to get in the car, then once inside if it's asking for a card I'll toggle the Bluetooth button.

The first time it happened I was pretty disappointed, shaking my faith on only using my phone and not having a backup. I'll always have a card now. Just in case (also if my phone dies).

Having the same problem with my Samsung flip 4. I have tried all these fixes and it still asks for my key card too often. I read in these fourms to opt in to keep the Tesla app open all the time under permissions, but, it only allows you to have it open only when using the Tesla app. Somebody said Apple allows you to keep it open but not Android. Going crazy trying to find out how to keep from asking for the key card, which I carry it in my wallet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Having the same problem with my Samsung flip 4. I have tried all these fixes and it still asks for my key card too often. I read in these fourms to opt in to keep the Tesla app open all the time under permissions, but, it only allows you to have it open only when using the Tesla app. Somebody said Apple allows you to keep it open but not Android. Going crazy trying to find out how to keep from asking for the key card, which I carry it in my wallet. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Yes, it is a pain. Rather than getting out the card key, I open the Tesla app. This sometimes wakes up the car. If this doesn't work, I have to manually unlock the car from the app. Things have gotten better with the Tesla app updates, but it is occasionally a pain.

A couple more things that may or may not help... I seem to recall that Android used to have the ability to autostart an app, but I cannot find that in my current release (12 on a Pixel 3A). So whenever I restart my phone, I have to remember to start the Tesla app just so it will always be running in the background. Also, I carry my phone in a front pocket, giving it an "unobstructed view" of the car. Does this help with LE Bluetooth? I don't really know, but the phone-as-key always works for me.

Also, I carry my phone in a front pocket, giving it an "unobstructed view" of the car. Does this help with LE Bluetooth?

i have both android and iPhone, but only use the tesla app on my iphone. front pocket vs back pocket definitely makes a difference. If I have the phone in my back pocket, I sometimes even have to turn sideways and put my rear end toward the car while pulling the handle (or, you know, take my phone out of my pocket, whichever is faster lol).

Reactions: lachambers
A couple more things that may or may not help... I seem to recall that Android used to have the ability to autostart an app, but I cannot find that in my current release (12 on a Pixel 3A). So whenever I restart my phone, I have to remember to start the Tesla app just so it will always be running in the background. Also, I carry my phone in a front pocket, giving it an "unobstructed view" of the car. Does this help with LE Bluetooth? I don't really know, but the phone-as-key always works for me.
Thanks for the update, you may be correct on the "restart the Tesla app after phone reboot". That may help, much appreciated.

i have both android and iPhone, but only use the tesla app on my iphone. front pocket vs back pocket definitely makes a difference. If I have the phone in my back pocket, I sometimes even have to turn sideways and put my rear end toward the car while pulling the handle (or, you know, take my phone out of my pocket, whichever is faster lol).
Thank You jjrandorin. Good information!