Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android setting to keep Tesla app awake!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xallenx1

2021 LFP SR+ with the 980 motor and rear sway bar
Sep 22, 2021
Mount Pleasant, SC
I finally figured out how to keep the Tesla app from sleeping. It's been a pain trying to shift from P to D because the app would sleep and the car can't connect to it resulting to the annoying "swipe key card" notification.

Today I was playing around with my phone settings and found this solution:

Go to Settings
Use search upper right and enter Battery App
Scroll down to Battery and Device Care
Click Never Sleeping App
Click again Never Sleeping App then add the Tesla app.

My phone is on Android 12.

I don't get the P to D problem, but if I have my phone in my pocket most times it won't unlock the car. It used to unlock it right away.

I did what you said, nothing. I restarted the phone and it worked. Then at the next stop, it didn't unlock again.

I have a Pixel 7 Pro, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max was doing the same.

I don't get the P to D problem, but if I have my phone in my pocket most times it won't unlock the car. It used to unlock it right away.
When the phone doesn't unlock the car, try turning on its screen while it's still in your pocket.

The car responds well these days to my Pixel 6. Rarely I have to fiddle with Bluetooth off/on, force the Tesla app to quit then restart, or reboot. But it's not obvious if all this just keeps me busy while the car wakes up and contacts the phone.

When the phone doesn't unlock the car, try turning on its screen while it's still in your pocket.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and hold it up to the pillar and say, "See, I have my phone right here!"

I feel like an idiot, but that works almost 100% of the time.

Unless it is pouring rain or freezing cold.

Then, I may have to turn on data, pull up the app and unlock through the app. Which is a friggin pain. There was one time I had to do that and once I was inside the car it still wanted the keycard to start the car so I used the app to start the car. After all, the app was already open, so that was faster than digging my purse out of the back seat to get my wallet and keycard.

(and yes, I know that isn't what makes my phone suddenly work, but no-one seems to reliably know how to get the phone key to work all the time so it is as good a suggestion as any.)

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer

The car responds well these days to my Pixel 6. Rarely I have to fiddle with Bluetooth off/on, force the Tesla app to quit then restart, or reboot. But it's not obvious if all this just keeps me busy while the car wakes up and contacts the phone.
I keep my phone in the back pocket, so that would be a nice move. lol

But it has gotten a lot better after I set the app to never sleeps. It still fails here and there, but I'd say now it works 90% of the time.

The only times it doesn't work is usually when I have my hands full. lol

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer