Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android versus apple tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi, not impressed by iPhone X and considering Samsung S8. I don't want to make this post about that choice but am wondering what tesla app on android platform is like. Anybody with experience with both the google and and apple tesla app? Any advantage of one over the other or problem

Android app has been lagging behind the iOS version in the past. But right now, it seems to have caught up pretty much.

(The android version did not have notification tones until recently. But now it does make noise when there is a notification; You cannot choose the tone though - it uses the default tone set on your phone. I don't know if it allows choice in iOS.)

There are also several other 3rd party apps, at least for iOS. I don't think the Tesla one is anything to write home about. I know 'Remote S' is very good and has other features. I think there is another one that is also supposed to be good for Android. I'd explore those before you choose a phone based on the Tesla official app!

There are also several other 3rd party apps, at least for iOS. I don't think the Tesla one is anything to write home about. I know 'Remote S' is very good and has other features. I think there is another one that is also supposed to be good for Android. I'd explore those before you choose a phone based on the Tesla official app!
Thanks am happy with the iOS version and not changing phone for app just want to be sure with android phone I won't lose capability already in app

Official Tesla app, no real difference I noticed. 3rd party apps, yes. There are basically no 3rd party apps for your Tesla in the Android world. To me this kinda matters, because Remote S is pretty damn useful... moreso than the official app. The developer claims to be making an Android equivalent though.

You really can't. The password goes through the App to Tesla. Until Tesla provides some sort of trusted login like Facebook or Twitter (which Tesla really has no incentive to do), you'll have to trust the developer to securely handle your password.

I don't know if everyone using these apps is aware of this risk. And not just the app, even OK Google commands on Google Home.

I am not urging anyone to distrust a developer. Just trying to raise awareness. Apart from trust we also should consider the developer's ability to defend hackers.

I don't know if everyone using these apps is aware of this risk. And not just the app, even OK Google commands on Google Home.

I am not urging anyone to distrust a developer. Just trying to raise awareness. Apart from trust we also should consider the developer's ability to defend hackers.

Ok post (not poster) sounds crazy. A 50 cent bullet will kill me before a hacker with hrs of hacking will. But tell me why I want a developer to defend a hacker?

Official Tesla app, no real difference I noticed. 3rd party apps, yes. There are basically no 3rd party apps for your Tesla in the Android world. To me this kinda matters, because Remote S is pretty damn useful... moreso than the official app. The developer claims to be making an Android equivalent though.
By far the best Tesla app on either platform is a 3rd party app for Android called Dashboard for Tesla. It is as fast as the official app, and offers many additional functions : Android Wear support, widgets, summon, smart charging behavior, smart climate controls, speed clocking and more. The developer is very responsive. There is a long thread around here somewhere.

Ok post (not poster) sounds crazy. A 50 cent bullet will kill me before a hacker with hrs of hacking will. But tell me why I want a developer to defend a hacker?

Sure, I was not talking about death risks here. I accept, it cannot kill you, most likely.
If your password is going through the app servers to Tesla, and the app servers are compromised, your Tesla account can be compromised.