Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android versus apple tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi, not impressed by iPhone X and considering Samsung S8. I don't want to make this post about that choice but am wondering what tesla app on android platform is like. Anybody with experience with both the google and and apple tesla app? Any advantage of one over the other or problem

Ha, I know this is an old post and sorry to resurrect it but I was wondering the same thing, only the other way round!

I jumped ship from Apple as I too was unimpressed with the iPhone X. I got a Pixel 2 and now I much prefer Android overall. I'm having problems with the app though and wondered what other people thought of it and whether the iOS implementation is any better. I did download it on my old iPhone and it seemed to be the same (as in I still had issues connecting to the car sometimes).

The only difference I can find is that (on iOS) I can add the app to the list of easily accessible apps available on the left most swiped app pane. Useful because I can check charging percentage without unlocking phone and opening app. Just wake phone and swipe right to see. Can't do that on android.

The only difference I can find is that (on iOS) I can add the app to the list of easily accessible apps available on the left most swiped app pane. Useful because I can check charging percentage without unlocking phone and opening app. Just wake phone and swipe right to see. Can't do that on android.

You can add the Tesla app to your most frequently used app collection on the bottom of your home screen in android. It has been this way for years, before iOS had the right swipe drawer.

Does android have something like this? Where you can check status without unlocking?

20180804_160342_1.gif

No, the android app doesn't do that. That looks useful.

The thing I'm most interested in is how buggy the iOS version of the app is? Does it connect to the car all the time, summon every time? Also, whether anyone else has many problems on Android or is it just me?

No, the android app doesn't do that. That looks useful.

The thing I'm most interested in is how buggy the iOS version of the app is? Does it connect to the car all the time, summon every time? Also, whether anyone else has many problems on Android or is it just me?

right? it's very useful! no need to waste time unlocking then going to app. just swipe from lock screen. having used both, seems to be the same. summon works half the time right off the bat. never need to actually use it, but when i do (usually just to show off "summon") it conveniently never works, making me look like an idiot. it just says "connecting to vehicle" even though every other feature works like honk, open trunks, etc.

I have used both Android and iPhones for the last 4 years with my Tesla. There are no significant differences in the Tesla app. I'm using an iPhone X and it works fine, but so did the Tesla app with my Samsung. The Tesla app works equally well on both platforms.

When it comes to third party apps Android has two that I love that are only available for Android. To use those I have an Android phone in the car in addition to my every day iPhone.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: unbelievable
Thanks everyone, I'm starting to narrow down what the problem might be now. I had suspected it might be the car but I'm not so sure any more.

when i do (usually just to show off "summon") it conveniently never works, making me look like an idiot.
Haha, isn't that the same when you try to demo any technology.

I have used both Android and iPhones for the last 4 years with my Tesla. There are no significant differences in the Tesla app. I'm using an iPhone X and it works fine, but so did the Tesla app with my Samsung. The Tesla app works equally well on both platforms.
Good to hear that I need to look somewhere else other than the app then to solve my problem. I have a feeling it's my Pixel 2 so am going to use my old iPhone for the next few days to see how it compares controlling the Tesla.

When it comes to third party apps Android has two that I love that are only available for Android. To use those I have an Android phone in the car in addition to my every day iPhone.
Care to share what those apps are?

'Dahsbord for Tesla' on Android is pretty amazing. Lots of great features that go beyond the standard app. For me the most useful feature is the smart charging option. You tell the app you want to be done charging at 8am in the morning and have the climate control on. The app will automatically determine what the battery is at and when it needs to start charging so it finishes at the desired time. You can automated tasks, measure 0-60 times (or other speeds) and a few other neat things.

The other app I use all the time is 'Scan my Tesla'. It connects to the CAN bus and shows info that is usually only available to a serivce technician.

Well, extremely happy to report that 'Dashboard for Tesla' successfully summons my car to and from the garage when the official Tesla app doesn't. With that and all the other functions (way more than the official app) it's well worth the price.
When I had a Galaxy S4, I too never could summon from the Tesla app (it said I wasn't close enough to the car). The only other difference was the bug that would delay the app from contacting the car for like 20 seconds upon opening the app. I traded in for an iPhone in June of last year.

When I had a Galaxy S4, I too never could summon from the Tesla app (it said I wasn't close enough to the car). The only other difference was the bug that would delay the app from contacting the car for like 20 seconds upon opening the app. I traded in for an iPhone in June of last year.
Well, this is the thing, I have briefly considered going back to iOS but it seems rediculous just for one app. Anyway I've found a workaround now so am happy with that.

Reactions: Pluto