Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andy Blau at The Drive lists 7 things he hates about his Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was definitely clickbait, but I took the bait because I always enjoy reading the ridiculous claims made by people that have complaints. Most of the items on the list he should have known going into purchasing a car in this price point. I certainly did and, after consideration of the points, I figured I could live with it.

So much is made about the fact there's no spare tire.

- Many cars have no spare tire, but nobody makes a big deal about those other cars.
- This guy says he "blew both driver side tires." So . . how would ONE tire have helped him anyway? Also, he then goes on to say "twelve hours and $800 later, I had A new tire." So did he blow out one? or two? did he buy one for $800? I'm confused.
- His opening line is "are those run flats?" Well let me tell you from experience that run-flats aren't the god-send everything thinks they are. They allow you to limp somewhere to get your tire replace but then guess what . . . .usually they don't have run-flats in stock, or they don't have your particular run-flat size/brand in stock and they have to special order. Then you have to leave your car in the shop overnight or maybe even 2 to 3 nights. Nobody talks about that with regard to run-flats.
- Tire inflator for $90? It's clearly $50 on the Tesla website.

Anyway I could list points about all the others, but the tire thing always annoys me.

Spare tires? Does ANY new cars come with a spare tire? It's like 10 years since most manufacturers got rid of the spare tire. Which is good, because it makes no sense at all to drive around with the extra weight, and waste of space. And do people constantly blow their tires? I've been driving for 10 years, and have never once had a flat tire. In the extremely rare event of a flat tire, I would probably just rather wait for a tow truck instead of risking my life while swapping myself. In case you are going on a very long trip out in nowhereland you could just throw in a spare for that specific occation.

Spare tires? Does ANY new cars come with a spare tire? It's like 10 years since most manufacturers got rid of the spare tire. Which is good, because it makes no sense at all to drive around with the extra weight, and waste of space. And do people constantly blow their tires? I've been driving for 10 years, and have never once had a flat tire.

Try driving in DFW (Texas). Going three months without a flat is record breaking.

Spare tires? Does ANY new cars come with a spare tire? It's like 10 years since most manufacturers got rid of the spare tire. Which is good, because it makes no sense at all to drive around with the extra weight, and waste of space. And do people constantly blow their tires? I've been driving for 10 years, and have never once had a flat tire. In the extremely rare event of a flat tire, I would probably just rather wait for a tow truck instead of risking my life while swapping myself. In case you are going on a very long trip out in nowhereland you could just throw in a spare for that specific occation.

Plenty of cars come with spare tires. I was looking at an Audi S4, and it 100% had a spare, and I'm pretty sure it was a full size spare tire.

IIRC, my 2002 E39 M5 didn't have a spare nor run-flats either. The article is a little misleading for sure, and likely falls in to the click-bait category. Only about half of the points are valid, and it is quite suspect that a SVP at Time owns a 60, and then concedes he just bought another one.

Knock on wood-I haven't had a flat tire despite construction debris and loose nails all over the neighborhood. I do agree with him that cup holder is a problem, expensive parts and repairs, no center consoles, can't really make a long distance trip without getting preoccupied with chargers, poor GPS with no alternate routes etc. I haven't had a rattle yet. Does anyone have a moldy-musky smell in the Model S? I can't figure out whether it is the residue of "rain" or some kind of "electrical" smell.
My real question is-Is it really a 100K car or are we paying for the initial investments of the company on technology? Other than a huge battery running a car-is it worth an additional 30-50K over the competitor cars? If I am driving only 6 miles everyday, am I better off with a Leaf or BMW electric?
Looking at the resale value-you take a beating if you try to sell your Tesla. Tens of thousands disappear in a year! When I bought Model S, I really believed that this would be my last car. I am not sure now.