Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angry Dodge Hellcat owner sets 7 rules of ownership, with a nod to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This clown doesn't actually own a hellcat, he test drives one or his friend of a friend etc owns one. It's rather ridiculous how some idiots who don't even own the car, get so insulted with the mere thought of losing a drag race.

The slow Hellcat Challenger owner wants a rematch with the Tesla

The slow Hellcat Challenger owner feels pretty bad that he had embarrassed the muscle car community with his poor performance in a race with Tesla. He has spent the past few weeks practising. He is now ready for the rematch.

Since becoming the most famous Hellcat Challenger owner who wasn’t a celebrity beforehand, the owner of this new Mopar muscle car wanted to show that he could get down the track. According to the details, the owner of this Sublime Hellcat Challenger got into the 11s with the stock tires, but he wanted to go even quicker. With the addition of a set of Nitto 555R street tires, he has been able to get away from the starting line much more quickly, and the result is a quarter mile time of 10.86 at 127 miles per hour.

Needless to say, the owner of the Hellcat Challenger in the video below is ready for the Tesla Model S P85D owner to come back for another run. Now that the Challenger has better tires, he will be able to turn a quarter mile time that the Tesla couldn’t dream of hitting without significant modifications – even if the P85D gets some drag radials of its own. Last time, the Tesla beat the Challenger driver. This time, the Challenger driver knows what he is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The slow Hellcat Challenger owner feels pretty bad that he had embarrassed the muscle car community with his poor performance in a race with Tesla. He has spent the past few weeks practicing. He is now ready for the rematch.

If the conditions are just right, the Hellcat should/will beat the Model S P85D in a quarter mile race, most of the time. I predict that the P85D will still beat the Hellcat off the line, and maybe be quicker for the first half of the quarter mile, but then the higher top speed potential of the Hellcat will come into play and it should be able to pass the "D" before the finish line. We have to remember, the Hellcat is purpose built to get low quarter mile times, that is its reason for being,... period. That's what it is made to do and it is good at that. If Tesla motors ever were to build a car optimized to be fast on the drag strip, it would beat just about any stock car ever made on the planet. It is amazing that a four door sedan can beat a McLaren F-1 in a zero to sixty contest, but that is what it was purpose built to do. With that in mind, we should not expect a Tesla "D" to beat a Hellcat on the Drag strip every time, BUT,.. it is realistic to expect it to win in a zero to sixty contest most of the time.

Quarter mile,..Hellcat.
quarter_mile race.jpg

Zero to sixty,..P85D.
0 to 60.jpg

If the conditions are just right, the Hellcat should/will beat the Model S P85D in a quarter mile race, most of the time.
I think most of the time, with stock tires vs stock tires, the P85D will beat the Hellcat. The Hellcat will beat the P85D under perfect conditions, but that will not be "most" of the time, esp. if you have the manual version. It's extremely hard to launch properly. Even MotorTrend only ran a 11.7 even though Dodge officially claims 11.2.

With drag radials is how the Hellcat can beat the P85D every time, since it can run a 10.8 time.

I think most of the time, with stock tires vs stock tires, the P85D will beat the Hellcat. The Hellcat will beat the P85D under perfect conditions, but that will not be "most" of the time, esp. if you have the manual version. It's extremely hard to launch properly. Even MotorTrend only ran a 11.7 even though Dodge officially claims 11.2.
With drag radials is how the Hellcat can beat the P85D every time, since it can run a 10.8 time.

I agree with your statement. Getting a perfect launch in a Hellcat while under pressure, knowing that half of the Internet is watching, that can only make it even more difficult than it already is to begin with. I just didn't want to come across like a Tesla fanboy, not grounded in reality, as some of us are perceived by the musclecar crowd. If you go by the numbers and the specifications, if you have a perfect driver, perfect conditions, and all the mechanicals of the car are set up perfectly, including all the computer settings for launching, etc, when all of that stuff is perfect, then the Hellcat should win every time, but as you said, that is unlikely. But regardless of all that, I'm certain that the P85D will smoke the hellcat when the yardstick is the 0 to 60 times. I do feel bad for the Hellcat driver, because the computer controled traction system on the Tesla is amazing and it makes it so easy to launch with maximum torque regardless of the traction conditions. I drive an all wheel drive 2010 Subaru WRX and I sometimes trick muscle cars into a stoplight race while it's damp outside or snowing or any kind of low traction conditions, they don't have a chance, sometimes they forget that fact and then they're amazed at how I can take off at full power even when it's raining. But I would be careful about becoming too overconfident of a model SP85D victory when the rematch happens. It probably will win, but it could go either way so we should be prepared for any outcome.

Last edited:
There is some confusion in my mind as to how much traction is needed for a maximum launch from a stop in a Tesla. I know that if you turn off the traction control, the Model S will spin the tires easily on
dry pavement, (see the DragTimes video link below.)
So I thought it logical to assume that a P85D using very sticky compound tires, like this drag tire, it's a Mickey Thompson 3751R 225/50R15 ET Street Drag Radial

Mickey Thompson 3751R 225-50R15 ET Street Drag Radial.jpg

Would be faster, because the traction control could then deliver more torque to the wheels without spinning them. But then I saw this YouTube video of a "D" getting a time of 3.3 seconds zero to sixty in the RAIN!
DragTimes video of a Tesla burnout.

If a "D" can do a 0 to 60 run in the wet in 3.3 seconds, then maybe tire traction isn't the limiting factor after all, perhaps there is some other limitation in the battery pack or the amount of current the motors and controllers can handle. It is a mystery to me, do any P85D owners know, can you turn off the traction control in that model? What happens, does it spin the tires? Has anyone equipped a P85D with Street/Strip performance tires like the Mickey Thomsons shown in the picture and tested the acceleration?
extreme aceleration2.jpg

I've posted this elsewhere....
My P+ would leave what I can best describe as "bar code" on the pavement from the rears following a hard launch. The feedback loop for slip and power adjustment is so fine that you get these small strips of pavement then rubber where the tires lost grip then pavement and repeat. Fast forward to my PD and I get nothing, nada, not even a little rubber on the ground. Traction control requires slip. No slip, no TC. So I believe there is sufficient weight combined with four tire patches being driven that the PD can put down 460 KW of power without slip. If it aint a slippin then there is no need for sticky rubber or at least that is my position.

Wow. 0-60 in 3.3s on wet pavement is insane.

(Which I guess is appropriate, considering. :) )

I just hope it doesn't get drivers into trouble - presumably the car is no better at turning and stopping on wet pavement than most others are.
Walter

If Elon was to give forum member Otmar a P85D for the mission to hot rod it, IMHO it would always beat the Hellcat. Just by doubling the current output of the inverter/controller, the peak hp goes from 691 to 1382 hp. Even in a car as heavy as the P85D, that amount of hp should be good for a low 9 second pass.

I'm fairly certain that selecting "Insane" mode just allows the controller to ramp to a higher amperage. P= I X E. If we know E is 375 volts and P = 515 kW (691 hp), then the controller must supply 1375 amps. If Otmar tweaks the controller for 2750 amps, bingo 1382 hp.

BTW, Otmar has already designed, built, and sold many 2000 amp DC controllers to the EV marketplace.

Last edited:
Here's a P85 burnout w/TC completely disabled via the "tc"fuse pulled.
I understand what Lola and Todd Burch is saying about the PD and how drag slicks won't help (b/c they are waay smarter than I am). But after watching the vid above, I wonder if a P85D w/the TC fuse pulled wouldn't do a burnout. Would that then mean if you had good enough drag slicks you could theoretically achieve a better 0-60 on a P85D? (I'm not good w/this stuff so forgive me if my logic is flawed)

Here's a P85 burnout w/TC completely disabled via the "tc"fuse pulled.

I understand what Lola and Todd Burch is saying about the PD and how drag slicks won't help (b/c they are waay smarter than I am). But after watching the vid above, I wonder if a P85D w/the TC fuse pulled wouldn't do a burnout. Would that then mean if you had good enough drag slicks you could theoretically achieve a better 0-60 on a P85D? (I'm not good w/this stuff so forgive me if my logic is flawed)

it would be nice to see some experiments done, like testing the acceleration with high traction tires and seeing if there is any improvement at all. We need to find out if the acceleration is traction limited, or power (current) limited. From what I'm seeing on videos posted on the Internet including the P85D being run on a dynometer, it seems that the acceleration is limited by the amount of current put out by the batteries and the motor controller.

Ah, I forgot about power limiting, I bet you are right. So the power has to be split between the front motor and the rear, so I guess maybe the p85D wouldn't necessarily do a burnout w/the TC completely disabled.