Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angry no Homelink and now no premium connectivity:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paid premium $ for Model Y Performance. Garage door opener, now extra. Premium connectivity requires monthly fee now! No am/fm radio in a Tesla! Makes we want to drive around with a transistor radio on the seat and explain why to everyone that asks! My friends Civic has both features! My 100k Tesla shakes me down for this stuff. Its a disgrace! Should have kept my 3!
Anyone else inscensed? Will SERIOUSLY look at E-tron, I-pace and others next time! If non-tesla charging network improves, it will be a no brainer!!! NOT impessed Elon! Build it into the purchase price...you're a premium brand for god sakes! Or used to be...

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and Velcade
umm.. premium connectivity has been "extra" on model Ys since they existed, and has not been a part of model 3s for free since september of 2018.

I am going to guess that you are either a model S or X owner who got those things included in the price, or, alternatively a model 3 owner from before September of 2018 (when the performance model 3 cost 66k without FSD, vs 57k without FSD now.

This is like complaining that BMW 3 series did not come with a backup camera until the government made them put one in. You had to pay extra. Hyundai's came with it standard, but BMW did not.

Same exact complaint, so framing this as "Tesla!" is misguided.. but people love to do it anyway.

Paid premium $ for Model Y Performance. Garage door opener, now extra. Premium connectivity requires monthly fee now! No am/fm radio in a Tesla! Makes we want to drive around with a transistor radio on the seat and explain why to everyone that asks! My friends Civic has both features! My 100k Tesla shakes me down for this stuff. Its a disgrace! Should have kept my 3!
Anyone else inscensed? Will SERIOUSLY look at E-tron, I-pace and others next time! If non-tesla charging network improves, it will be a no brainer!!! NOT impessed Elon! Build it into the purchase price...you're a premium brand for god sakes! Or used to be...
(1) I believe the Homelink has never been included in any of the Model Y trims, but I understand your frustration that any car, let alone a $100K car, does not include this as a standard feature. My Prius (albeit a higher trim), and my wife's SUV, both had Homelink included as standard, so I appreciate your frustration about it being an extra cost.

(2) Doesn't the Performance come w/ one-year of premium connectivity included? I have the standard range, and I only got 30 days of premium connectivity. Disappointing, but I knew that at the time I purchased my car. Also, with the new software, I just use my phone's hotspot as needed.

(3) On my Y, I am pretty sure I've got FM (not sure about AM). Did Tesla remove this for newer Model Y's? What I do wish the Y had was SiriusXM (rather than having to stream through the app),

Reactions: alexcue
(1) I believe the Homelink has never been included in any of the Model Y trims, but I understand your frustration that any car, let alone a $100K car, does not include this as a standard feature. My Prius (albeit a higher trim), and my wife's SUV, both had Homelink included as standard, so I appreciate your frustration about it being an extra cost.

(2) Doesn't the Performance come w/ one-year of premium connectivity included? I have the standard range, and I only got 30 days of premium connectivity. Disappointing, but I knew that at the time I purchased my car. Also, with the new software, I just use my phone's hotspot as needed.

(3) On my Y, I am pretty sure I've got FM (not sure about AM). Did Tesla remove this for newer Model Y's? What I do wish the Y had was SiriusXM (rather than having to stream through the app),
Y is recently 1 year old. Ford also showed up at my house yesterday with a prybar to rip out Homelink and replace the Bose Stereo with a Fisher Price unit on my $85k F150. Unsure why I'm concerned. Its the new norm. apparently. Luckily my 10 year old Civic still has all these features...

• Funny
Reactions: JLOC

New member with 9 posts...

You could have saved $10,000 by buying my gently used MYP for $90,000 if you wanted... I have a hard time believing you own any Tesla if you think a MYP costs $100,000.

Also, anyone who previously owned a 3 would know that the MYP would not come with an AM/FM radio, free for life premium connectivity, or Homelink. I not only doubt you own a MYP, I doubt that you previously owned a M3.

Keith

remium connectivity has been "extra" on model Ys since they existed, and has not been a part of model 3s for free since september of 2018.
Ordered by June 30, 2018 was the cutoff date. Some of those were still being delivered in September.

I have a hard time believing you own any Tesla if you think a MYP costs $100,000.
The OP is in Canada, so he is not quoting US dollars.

The premium connectivity being free for only one year is clearly stated in the online design configurator. The lack of homelink is a little more obscure, but amply discussed on the forums.

Ordered by June 30, 2018 was the cutoff date. Some of those were still being delivered in September.

The OP is in Canada, so he is not quoting US dollars.

The premium connectivity being free for only one year is clearly stated in the online design configurator. The lack of homelink is a little more obscure, but amply discussed on the forums.

Does a MYP cost almost $80,000 USD in Canada? If so, I feel sorry for our brothers to the North and retract my accusations of being a fake poster.

Keith

From my understanding, Homelink involves a licensing payment so it's not free for Tesla. Since a lot of incentives are "MSRP" based, Tesla made it an option so they can lower the retail price and make it easier for the models to qualify for incentives based on retail price. It's not much but every penny counts when you're trying to lower the retail costs.

Brands are increasingly moving to subscription models. For example, my previous (luxury) BMW had CarPlay, next one was subscription based despite nearly every Honda, Hyundai, and other mainstream manufacturers including it for free. I think we’re going to see a lot more subscription options as car features become more firmware/software controllable, since that way the consumer can make their option decisions on their own time and not at the dealer lot (and can remove ones they might not need or like later).

As for Homelink I’ve seen it included as part of a trim/package option more often than I’ve seen it standard, even in luxury cars. Most times, that particular trim/package happens to be one the dealer specs for all of the cars on their lot. But $300 for a package that includes homelink isn’t unique. What is different is the extra steps you have to go through to get it from Tesla. Not efficient, but certainly not a cost issue in my opinion. I just decided to make Siri Shortcuts for my opener and it’s been fine without homelink. I’d just as easily use a clicker (which I have in the console as a backup).

None of the OPs complaints should have been surprises if they did their research before spending their hard earned dollars on the car. If those concerns were dealbreakers, then they shouldn’t have purchased. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Hellpops
Good job on the pre-purchase research. :cool:

Agreed, just seems petty for a premium brand.

I see this complaint a lot here, but... again... unless you dont consider a BMW / Mercedes / Porsche in the same space as tesla from a "premium brand" perspective, ALL the german car manufactuers make you pay extra for basically EVERYTHING.

They bill it as "giving you choice flexibility" but what it also is, is "pay extra for almost everything" I drove BMWs for almost 20 years before my model 3, and have custom ordered several from the factory. The base price for my wifes X3 M40 was like 51k, but "optioned up" it had an MSRP of 68k.

This is not a "Tesla" thing, and in fact the more "premium" the brand is, the MORE they tend to do this, not less, at least until you get into truly rarified air brands that make stuff bespoke.

As I also said, your EXACT same complaint exists on every BMW forum, ever... especially by the people in the 3/4 series forums (5 and 7 series owners consider those people plebians). Even in 5 and 7 series, you can add 10-15k in options costs easy, so your claim about "seems petty for a premium brand" is misguided.

Premium brands make you pay MORE, other brands try to attract you by giving that stuff for free, like hyundai, kia, etc.

Agreed, just seems petty for a premium brand.
I agree, seems like a money grab to me. Unfortunately, if you want it in the 3 and Y, you now have to pay for it. I ended up ordering it. I have a clicker and an iPhone app as well to open the garage, but it's not ideal for me since my wife loads all her crap in to the storag area. Also, has anyone noticed there is no spare or tire repair kit in the car? Most cars that don't include a tire have the repair inflator. Looks like Tesla offers free tire repair service so it's not needed. Still would like a pump - sucks having to pay $50 or more for one.

Looks like the garage door opener is now $325. Wasn't it $350 at one time?

BMW pulled a similar thing a few years back trying to charge a subscription service for Apple Car play. It pissed off a lot of there customers including me.

I still like the car, it's not perfect, but not too bad in my opinion even though there are few omissions.

I think if Tesla included Homelink as standard and charged $350 USD extra, nobody would have complained (I'd be shocked if anyone paying this much for a car would care about another $350). So its a bit baffling that they made it an accessory. Having said that, I bought the Homelink module and really like it. I've seen/read elsewhere that it doesn't open the garage reliably on the auto-open setting, but mine has worked 100% of the time so far. It's pretty cool to have the Homelink buttons show up on screen as you pull up to the programmed location (I have the buttons programmed for my house and my mom's house), so for me it has been worth the money.

I was not aware of the lack of AM in this car prior to taking delivery. While that's kind of weird, the only AM station I've ever listened to is the one that broadcasts the local baseball team's games. The team really sucked this year so I've barely been paying attention, thus not missing the AM radio. Hopefully they move the baseball broadcasts back to FM in the future, then I would never need AM radio again.

I don't know, I've owned my MYP for almost a month now, and I'm not really finding anything to complain about. I'm loving it so far.

New member with 9 posts...

You could have saved $10,000 by buying my gently used MYP for $90,000 if you wanted... I have a hard time believing you own any Tesla if you think a MYP costs $100,000.

Also, anyone who previously owned a 3 would know that the MYP would not come with an AM/FM radio, free for life premium connectivity, or Homelink. I not only doubt you own a MYP, I doubt that you previously owned a M3.

Keith

(personal opinion post, not moderation content)

I wanted to take a second to address this post as well.

All members will low post counts are not trolls, or attempting to troll. Having been a moderator here for a bit now (about a year) you get very good at spotting troll posts vs people who are just frustrated, or want to get something off their chest.

This OP appears to me to be someone who is frustrated that some things are not included that they would like to be included, or expected to be included, or used to be included, but they do not come across at all as a troll or plant, low post count or no.

On TMC there can be a very quick "rush to judgement", especially for new members or people with very low post counts that have a complaint. We can disagree with the complaint, but I would ask that we take a step back and assume that the person is posting to make an opinion known, or get feedback or even "rail at the moon", vs thinking that they are making the post specifically to sow discord (which is what trolling is).

So, OP, while I do not agree with your particular position, you are certainly not the only one with this position, and I do not think you are attempting to troll or anything. I just think you are complaining about something that bothers you.

(personal opinion post, not moderation content)

I wanted to take a second to address this post as well.

All members will low post counts are not trolls, or attempting to troll. Having been a moderator here for a bit now (about a year) you get very good at spotting troll posts vs people who are just frustrated, or want to get something off their chest.

This OP appears to me to be someone who is frustrated that some things are not included that they would like to be included, or expected to be included, or used to be included, but they do not come across at all as a troll or plant, low post count or no.

On TMC there can be a very quick "rush to judgement", especially for new members or people with very low post counts that have a complaint. We can disagree with the complaint, but I would ask that we take a step back and assume that the person is posting to make an opinion known, or get feedback or even "rail at the moon", vs thinking that they are making the post specifically to sow discord (which is what trolling is).

So, OP, while I do not agree with your particular position, you are certainly not the only one with this position, and I do not think you are attempting to troll or anything. I just think you are complaining about something that bothers you.

I agree. It was the "it shouldn't be this way after spending $100,000 on the car" that made me suspicious. I retracted my troll accusation (too late to edit my first post) after finding out how much Tesla is charging for a Model Y Performance up in Canada in Canadian dollars...

Keith

Reactions: jjrandorin
I suppose the best takeaway might be that buyers need to make sure they understand what they're getting before plunking down significant dollars (Canadian or US). Where I think that the OP went wrong was in not understanding what was being purchased. Assuming the car wasn't purchased as a demo, there were weeks if not months between order date and delivery to do due diligence and avoid such surprises.

Tesla vehicles offer some distinct benefits but there are also some omissions that are atypical for vehicles in the price range. If those are deal breakers, you may want to look elsewhere. Just because Car A is in the same price range as Car B, it doesn't mean that they're gonna have the same bells and whistles. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my BMW lacks some gizmos that were available on a much less costly Hyundai.

Reactions: DanDi58