Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angus Taylor won’t drive an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Firstly
He's overstated his km's by near on a factor of 2, that or his ICE uses slightly less than 50% of what the manfuctures claim (this is bases on his fuel claim)....I call BS

Secondly
He has claim a lease payment that would cover the cost of a Model S, the Model S being twice the cost of this ICE....something doesn't add up even if you say his claim of lease including rego, insurance and serving.....I call BS.

Summary
Angus Taylor is an absolute lair, if caught telling outright lies it should be instant dismissal...of course we'd loose half of parliament on all sides of political persuasion....sounds ideal to me.

Angus Taylor has the official title of Minister for reducing emissions but has spend his hold time in that position pushing fossil fuels and putting hurdles in front of renewables, he claims under his guidance Australia will reduce emissions by using technology rather than targets yet Angus has no time for technology such as EVs. Angus should have the title of Minister for Hurdles.

I saw Dale Stanbrough's estimate of kilometres a day in the comments. His estimates were way off.

It doesn't take into account commuting to parliament. 4 round trips per sitting week is about 15,000km/yr - and that assumes zero side trips to anywhere else in his electorate those days. Of course, any Tesla can handle a simple daily round trip from Goulburn to Canberra, and even a bunch of the competitors too. Especially given it'd be a piece of cake getting chargers or GPOs installed in parliament house. So those days aren't a concern.

And it also assumed that MPs only work 5 days a week during 30 weeks per year. I'd assume 6 days, though even 7 is realistic. MPs are expected to show up at the opening of a bottle of wine.

So assuming
60,000km total
Less 15,000km for commuting
Leaves 45,000km

30 weeks x 6 days working = 180 days driving

45,000km / 180 days = 250km/day (very reasonable for Goulburn - a city that's 100km from everywhere)

Driving hours/day at average of 80km/h = 3.1

His electorate covers Camden to Boorowa and down to Bungonia. Goulburn is dead centre. Any trip to anywhere in his electorate outside from Goulburn is easily 100-150km each way. And heaven help if he has to get from Camden to Boorowa in the same day, and still get home from Boorowa afterwards. He could put in a little charge at the single-stall NRMA charger at Picton, which is one street back from the old highway. Or, if it's occupied, detour into Goulburn and stop at either charger there. But MPs are always running late anyway. I doubt he'd feel comfortable stopping or detouring, even for 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an unnecessarily hostile attitude. But it's also a fairly big electorate. And while there are chargers, they're all kinda inconveniently located off-highway. Mittagong, Goulburn and Yass include long old-highway detours. Maybe if either of the twin servos at Pheasant's Nest (next to the underpass), both of the twin service centres at Marulan, and the enormous service centre at Yass Junction, all had top-tier chargers installed, it'd be different. We're still a few years away from that level of infrastructure maturity.

Last edited:
Reactions: pts260 and Hovean
I'd be surprised if Taylor has visited Boorowa more than a handful of times in his entire parliamentary career.

Perusing the august pages of the Boorowa News leads me to believe his most recent visits may have been 2016, 2017 and April this year.

Firstly
He's overstated his km's by near on a factor of 2, that or his ICE uses slightly less than 50% of what the manfuctures claim (this is bases on his fuel claim)....I call BS

Secondly
He has claim a lease payment that would cover the cost of a Model S, the Model S being twice the cost of this ICE....something doesn't add up even if you say his claim of lease including rego, insurance and serving.....I call BS.

Summary
Angus Taylor is an absolute lair, if caught telling outright lies it should be instant dismissal...of course we'd loose half of parliament on all sides of political persuasion....sounds ideal to me.
Only half? It would be more than that, and even more at a state level.
politicians can blatently lie for personal gain, and yet if a business does that its called false and misleading conduct, and fines apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman
I saw Dale Stanbrough's estimate of kilometres a day in the comments. His estimates were way off.

It doesn't take into account commuting to parliament. 4 round trips per sitting week is about 15,000km/yr - and that assumes zero side trips to anywhere else in his electorate those days. Of course, any Tesla can handle a simple daily round trip from Goulburn to Canberra, and even a bunch of the competitors too. Especially given it'd be a piece of cake getting chargers or GPOs installed in parliament house. So those days aren't a concern.

And it also assumed that MPs only work 5 days a week during 30 weeks per year. I'd assume 6 days, though even 7 is realistic. MPs are expected to show up at the opening of a bottle of wine.

So assuming
60,000km total
Less 15,000km for commuting
Leaves 45,000km

30 weeks x 6 days working = 180 days driving

45,000km / 180 days = 250km/day (very reasonable for Goulburn - a city that's 100km from everywhere)

Driving hours/day at average of 80km/h = 3.1

His electorate covers Camden to Boorowa and down to Bungonia. Goulburn is dead centre. Any trip to anywhere in his electorate outside from Goulburn is easily 100-150km each way. And heaven help if he has to get from Camden to Boorowa in the same day, and still get home from Boorowa afterwards. He could put in a little charge at the single-stall NRMA charger at Picton, which is one street back from the old highway. Or, if it's occupied, detour into Goulburn and stop at either charger there. But MPs are always running late anyway. I doubt he'd feel comfortable stopping or detouring, even for 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an unnecessarily hostile attitude. But it's also a fairly big electorate. And while there are chargers, they're all kinda inconveniently located off-highway. Mittagong, Goulburn and Yass include long old-highway detours. Maybe if either of the twin servos at Pheasant's Nest (next to the underpass), both of the twin service centres at Marulan, and the enormous service centre at Yass Junction, all had top-tier chargers installed, it'd be different. We're still a few years away from that level of infrastructure maturity.

You know the guy has lied when you work out the fuel claim....he'd be lucky to get 35,000'ish on the amount he claimed on his fuel bill...he's a BS artists always twisting facts and I call him deplorable and will not lose sleep in doing so....

While he probably is, I'd rather pretend, err, assume, that people are being honest. And then maybe call them out later, when they're demonstrably wrong, or have committed proven misdeeds. Though probably only about something important. Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself & think about it when an election is coming. Moot point though, as I haven't lived in Goulburn since mid last decade.

Always speaking and acting with hatred and spite is unbecoming.

While he probably is, I'd rather pretend, err, assume, that people are being honest. And then maybe call them out later, when they're demonstrably wrong, or have committed proven misdeeds. Though probably only about something important. Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself & think about it when an election is coming. Moot point though, as I haven't lived in Goulburn since mid last decade.

Always speaking and acting with hatred and spite is unbecoming.
I'd say accelerating the transition to renewable energy and electric transportation is very important to the country. I don't know what's to be gained by a large time gap between assuming someone is honest and checking the facts of what they are saying. It's not a moot point that you don't live in Goulburn - this man represent the whole country and the details of what he is saying is easily fact checked no matter where you live.

It is not hateful or spiteful to call someone out when their claims differ wildly from the truth.

In a democracy you get the leaders you deserve.

If you want different outcomes, convince the voters that your ideas are better. Channelling hatred just makes you look crazy. Government is important, but government isn't key to peoples opinions or their buying decisions.

I'm driving 50 Uber rides a weekend showing ordinary people how fun a Tesla is & answering questions & getting them over all their EV hangups. One of them was even a local run when passing through Goulburn. Remind me what you're doing?

Last edited:
In a democracy you get the leaders you deserve.

If you want different outcomes, convince the voters that your ideas are better. Channelling hatred just makes you look crazy. Government is important, but government isn't key to peoples opinions or their buying decisions.

I'm driving 50 Uber rides a weekend showing ordinary people how fun a Tesla is & answering questions & getting them over all their EV hangups. One of them was even a local run when passing through Goulburn. Remind me what you're doing?

Near on 50 people have bought Tesla's through my referrals (more if I starting pushing my referral code earlier than I did), on our 3rd Tesla and are a total EV family, I have 40 panels on the roof and a Tesla battery, I don't eat meat and grow a lot of our own veggies....maybe I am not doing enough to be able to call out someone being dishonest when they are making wild false claims when in involves EVs/our environment? Remind me what you're doing apart from paid joy rides?

I don't mean to sound rude, but you're "Remind me what you're doing?" was kinda rude....

Last edited:
When you get a thumbs down on "speaking and acting with hatred and spite is unbecoming", stuff it, it's game on.
The only thumbs down you got from me was just now on a few of your posts, it’s just means I disagree with you...no more...not a personal attack like you seem to think is justified for even those that didn’t give you a thumbs down....

Moving on now...my issue with with Angus not you....

When you get a thumbs down on "speaking and acting with hatred and spite is unbecoming", stuff it, it's game on.

Angus Taylor is worse than politician. He is a CORRUPT politican. He does things not for the good of the country, but for what can feather his and his donor's nests the best.

With the help of Barnaby he sold water rights for millions of dollars more than it was valued at by his own government departments. To a company he founded in the Cayman Islands. A terrirtory which doesn't disclose information on it's companies. He says he no longer has anything to do with it. Yeah, right!

He used his position to hold talks to benefit his family / brother's company.

He is deliberately holding back environmental projects / opening gas power stations against all recommendations.

He is corrupt. His goverment is corrupt. He deserves to be hated.

Maybe our hatred can be instilled in some family members and friends and make a difference.

It is pointless 'waiting for the next election' to make a difference. Do you think the Australian electorate gives a *sugar* about the handling of the bushfires? Sports rorts? The handling of the rape in parliament? Other women's issues? All they will care about is whatever 3 word slogan the LNP come up with 2 weeks before the election. AXE THE TAX, RETIREE TAX, or whatever.

Corrupt politicians deserve to be hated.

/rant

And that's something the courts and/or the local preselectors and/or the voters can deal with. And probably ought to, if there's any truth to that.

It is pointless 'waiting for the next election' to make a difference. Do you think the Australian electorate gives a *sugar* about
No, I don't think anyone really cares either.

People have their motivations. Themselves, their family, and their friends, all come first. What's right isn't what matters in a democracy. You need enough people to get excited for the future you believe can happen. And I believe that's the exact opposite of the prevailing attitude of doom and destruction.

If people genuinely believe the future is hopeless and we're destined to bequeath our grandchildren a wasteland, people still won't vote for your guy.

I won’t give my opinion of Angus Taylor here as I want the conversation to remain polite.
Suffice to say I spent a day handing out How to Vote cards at Tallong for an independent in Angus Taylor’s electorate In the last Federal election. I’ll do the same for anyone who runs against him in the next election.
Talking to people coming to vote only convinced me more that people vote according to their perceived tribe or team and truly independent voters are rare.