Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anheuser-Busch Ordered 40 Tesla Semi Trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Budweiser beer owner Anheuser-Busch has ordered 40 Tesla Semi trucks, according to The Wall Street Journal.

James Sembrot, the company’s senior director of logistics strategy, told WSJ the company has aggressive goals for efficiency and believes Tesla could be an important part of the plan.

According to the article:

Anheuser-Busch spends about $120 million on fuel each year for its dedicated fleets and long-haul transportation by for-hire carriers moving beer between breweries and wholesalers, Mr. Sembrot said. The company wants to reduce its carbon footprint by 30% by 2025, and has invested in alternative-fuel vehicles, such as leasing delivery trucks that run on compressed natural gas. It is also in discussions with Nikola Motor Co., which is developing hydrogen-electric semi-trucks.

Anheuser-Busch plans to use the trucks for shipments to wholesalers within 150 to 200 miles of its brewery locations. [Updated] Tesla trucks are available in two versions – a 300-mile range and a 500-mile range.

Other companies that have announced plans to order the Tesla Semi include DHL, Fortigo Freight, J.B. Hunt, Walmart, Loblaws and Ryder. The Tesla Semi is scheduled for production in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not, right? Unlikely the chargers cost $30k and assuming multiple trucks to the same destinations, that could represent significant savings. On the other hand... spending the extra on the trucks gives considerable flexibility for route expansion.

Actually I think a DCFC capable of the ~500kW that’s needed to recharge while unloading will be quite a bit more than that.
It wouldn't necessarily need to be that powerful...

Remember a truck takes 30-60 minutes to unload so even at 50% the driver could easily make it back to the bottling plant.

How? The truck will be empty. Everybody seems to forget that these trucks could probably go 800-100 miles empty so a full charge wouldn't be required to go home just a quick boost...

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
Or 300-mile range, which would likely be what they're buying if they are using it for 150 to 200 mile runs. Why assume they're getting the higher-range version?

Even if they did have a charger at both ends consider degradation over time, weather, construction detours, the unknowns. I sure wouldn't buy the bottom range version for a 200 mile round trip run if I wanted the vehicle to handle my needs for many years to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put fast chargers at the delivery points
so they can grab a charge while they're being unloaded and save a ton of money on the trucks
I noticed some time ago that they already have a Solar Plan and Windmill at their Fairfield brewery and tasting room:

Anheuser-Busch Co - Solar farm .jpg

Anheuser-Busch Co - Windmill - Ground View .jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Peteybabes
yahooo!!!! notice Nikola claims several orders/reservations but none of them have been made public or nobody has said they reserved one...

it's happening y'all!

The good news here is that this is not a test order of a few trucks to test them out. If you go in with 40 to 50 in than the decision makers are very much confident of the positive $ impact.

The maintenance costs are drastically lower on an electric. Minimal powertrain, much less brake wear. For high mileage, short haul commercial applications these things will take over. The bean counters will win.

I am with whoever said that chargers will not be cheap. The power draw will likely require a large battery, unless like anheuser there is already high voltage 3 phase power on site. Interested to see how it all plays out. I am guessing we will see lots of them hauling out of the port of LA to rail heads, if they ever make it to production that is. There is some pretty stiff competition in this segment and major outfits that actually know how to build vehicles at scale volume are not going to be sitting idly by.