Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Model X lease for 3 years; those seats are not leather seats; you can wipe anything off of them. When I turned it in the white seats were still as good as new. They also don't wrinkle as leather seats do; don't get me wrong, I LOVE leather seats and still miss them, however, Tesla seats are very low maintenance.
It is amazing that some still "LOVE" leather seats as it suggests that massive ignorance remains pervasive on this topic, despite years and years of evidence of just how toxic and evil it is.

A random list of informative sites may help; let's begin with 2006 from the UN FAO:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

From 2008:

The process of tanning leather is incredibly toxic. Most is chrome tanned, which results in carcinogenic chromium (VI) being pumped into the water table. While most factories in Europe and America can no longer get away with this practice, the same cannot be said of the vast leather industry in China, where many bags, jackets, and shoes begin life - including many bound for the luxury market. While leather can be tanned used non-toxic vegetable dyes, chrome tanning is faster and produces a flexible leather that's better for high-end bags and coats, so there's no incentive for factories to switch.

And the basics of all this are covered here:

www.meat.org

In closing, the vast majority of us were lead to believe an amazing amount of things by our parents that were/are flat out wrong. Best to correct that faulty thinking ASAP . . . .

if i were to believe the individual contributors to carbon dioxide, i feel it would add up to more then 100 percent. lol

Nope. I just checked. It's still 100%. The 18% allocated to agriculture is just combined between CH4 and CO2 for total share of GHG. You're probably confusing the with the share of a sector. For example beef is ~25% of agriculture GHGs. Which is insane.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 5.41.04 PM.png

Reactions: aubreymcfato
All I can say is that ignorance is bliss. You have (checks profile) 2 years of experience with Tesla and I have (checks profile) 12. I have watched Tesla go from a whatever it takes to be the best company to a whatever is cheapest company. Removal of the dedicated rain sensor, removal of radar, removal of ultrasonic sensors, removal of stalks, removal of half of the steering wheel, removal of passenger lumbar support, vinyl interiors, and on and on and on and on. Every single one of these decisions has made the car worse than it was before the change. Every single one.

Moderator note: The first 7 messages in this thread were moved from an unrelated discussion in a different forum.

While I agree with many in the list above, you are obviously unaware of the likely additional cost of the "vinyl" interior, but the greatly reduced environmental cost.

Leather is toxic on many levels, to the people that work with the skins, the massive environmental cost, and, of course, to the sentient being that die as a result.

This came out over a decade ago, but since so few can live with cognitive dissonance, well, it didn't get much attention at the time (2006). It should now, however, as our planet fills up with GHG's:

Key fact:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Proppilot
While I agree with many in the list above, you are obviously unaware of the likely additional cost of the "vinyl" interior, but the greatly reduced environmental cost.

Leather is toxic on many levels, to the people that work with the skins, the massive environmental cost, and, of course, to the sentient being that die as a result.

This came out over a decade ago, but since so few can live with cognitive dissonance, well, it didn't get much attention at the time (2006). It should now, however, as our planet fills up with GHG's:

Key fact:

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006
@TSLA Pilot How about a nicely textured cloth option then? That would be far nicer than vinyl IMO. I assume there's no high quality cloth option because it would be more expensive, and doesn't fit with their cost-savings-at-all-costs strategy.

To be fair the leather in our older Tesla feels so thickly coated it almost feels like vinyl - but it is less sweaty after a long ride, and it has held up well probably thanks to said coating.

Last edited:
@TSLA Pilot How about a nicely textured cloth option then? That would be far nicer than vinyl IMO. I assume there's no high quality cloth option because it would be more expensive, and doesn't fit with their cost-savings-at-all-costs strategy.

To be fair the leather in our older Tesla feels so thickly coated it almost feels like vinyl - but it is less sweaty after a long ride, and it has held up well probably thanks to said coating.
It's not vinyl (pvc), it's polyurethane (pu).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Key fact:

Cows aren't raised exclusively for leather, they are raised as food. No part of the animal is wasted. Polyurethane is a petroleum product and does not decompose (leather does). Polyurethane can also be more prone to tear than leather. Not saying that makes leather a slam dunk winner either, it's just to show that neither product is superior in all ways, and choices to use one material vs. another are just a small part of the overall equation of whether something is "green" or not. I care a lot less about their choice of interior materials than their other cost-cutting design choices.

Cows aren't raised exclusively for leather
Yup. There's so much info about this on the internet ... a lot! There's probably an answer to which is greener, leather or PU but the answer will not be found at TMC. So I just cherry picked one sentence that supports @beatle , this cherry does not address anything else.

Approximately 99% of the hides and skins used for leather are a by-product from the food industry.​

It came from Leather Naturally - How is Leather Made? | Leather Naturally | Leather Manufacturing Process

Cows aren't raised exclusively for leather, they are raised as food. No part of the animal is wasted. Polyurethane is a petroleum product and does not decompose (leather does). Polyurethane can also be more prone to tear than leather. Not saying that makes leather a slam dunk winner either, it's just to show that neither product is superior in all ways, and choices to use one material vs. another are just a small part of the overall equation of whether something is "green" or not. I care a lot less about their choice of interior materials than their other cost-cutting design choices.
Well, in addition to the huge environmental costs, there are massive ethical and moral costs, as in, do you wish to pay for, and support, the evil that is that animal agriculture?

Anna Lappe says it best:

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

Your parents, like mine, likely didn't share these details when you were growing up. It's what you do after you learn the consequence of what use to be random, careless choices that matters most; choose well:

Reactions: play150