Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it the 20700 cells that are going in the Model 3 or still the 18650?

The software limited battery capacity doesn't sound like a very intelligent plan up front as Tesla is still paying a $ per KWH on product that the customer is not paying for unless they enable it. Unless the margins are high enough selling 75KWH of capacity to a customer at the price of 60 KWH.

Maybe this is a test for the Model 3 to streamline production by putting the same hardware on all cars and options such as sound, performance, range, charging speed, supercharging, autopilot, etc. all being software limited options

Last edited:
isn't this worst for 75D purchases?

If the 75D cost $70K before and now it costs $74,500 with the battery upgrade on the 60?

The funny thing is assuming it's the same battery, you can just set your 60kWh batter to 100% charge (knowing there's an extra 15kwh)
whereas 75kwh owners would normally set their car to 80% charge.

I'm sure I have a few things wrong here....

This is an absolutely brilliant strategy that Tesla is using... you have to consider this from a few perspective.

1. Potential to convert Model 3 desperate owner to Base Model S
  2. Potential to convert other owners to an entry Model S today
  3. All Lease return will now automatically becomes 75 kwh and autopilot activated increasing the resale value of used car.
  4. Over the air purchase is more profitable.. as it is cash and not baked into a lease / finance.

These strategies are all in align with our consumer shops.. we shop online and like to lease stuffs..

Doubt this would be feasible or how it would work and what cost would be, but would be cool if you could just pay a "rental" to be able to unlock the full capacity on as-needed basis. A 60 would fulfill 99% of my driving, but the few times a year for longer road trips would be nice to have the extra range and would be hard to justify the $8500 (or $9000 after delivery) upfront.

If the 75D cost $70K before and now it costs $74,500 with the battery upgrade on the 60?

The funny thing is assuming it's the same battery, you can just set your 60kWh batter to 100% charge (knowing there's an extra 15kwh)

From a pricing perspective, this is how I see it too-- effectively a price hike on the 70/75 models. Initially, I was frustrated with this, but on further reflection seems like a good strategy to allow more people in at lower price of entry (60kwh) with optional upgrade later.

I'm selling my 60 in a couple of weeks when my X comes in. I don't know if this announcement is good news or bad news for me.

Pretty sure it is NOT good for current S60 owners looking to sell, unfortunately. A base NEW S60 will be $58,500 after factoring in the fed tax credit. And the new 60 offers waaaay more features than the classic S60s. Good for people looking to pick up a used classic 60, though.

for me website show price 67,200

I think you don't have the referral links.

66K base barebone S60. + $1.2K for document fees = your $67.2K

If you use referrals, you get $1K off the price. So effectively $66.2K.

On the note of the software limited S60/S60D.

I think it can be beneficial to some. Since it's limited, you can always charge to 100% your S60/S60D and not have to worry about battery degradation. On S75/75D, you have to charge to 80%-90% to reduce battery degradation. That equates to 60KWh or 67.5KWh. If you are those type of person that always charges to 80% of capacity, you can get the S60/60D and charge to 100% everytime without ever worrying about battery degradation.

Moreover, those CPO S60 from 2013/2014 are effectively worth less than $40K now IMO because of all the extras you get from buying a SW limited S60/S60D.

The 70 was 71,500 as of April. The 75 upgrade was $3000, so exactly the same price.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and pmich80
Used to be 69.9k according to Wikipedia without supercharging enabled..

Just looked at my MVPA for my 2013 Model S 60...Base price was $57,400 + $10,000 for the 60kWh battery upgrade (from 40kWh)...so $67,400 with no other options (and another $1170 for delivery fee, final inspection etc.) PLUS, I paid another $2000 to enable supercharging and have no power folding mirrors, tech package, heated seats and other sensors. So this new S60 is really a great deal, and I'm happy that Tesla is actually reducing the cost for new customers AND giving them a better vehicle.

From a pricing perspective, this is how I see it too-- effectively a price hike on the 70/75 models. Initially, I was frustrated with this, but on further reflection seems like a good strategy to allow more people in at lower price of entry (60kwh) with optional upgrade later.

I agree because now i'm urgently trying to figure out a way to potentially skip waiting for my model 3 and get a model S. If only they could get the cost down to under $75,000 CDN for a base model, the car would qualify for a huge $14,000 tax rebate in Ontario.

I just tweeted Elon to see if he could get a car version priced under 75 here to be eligible. LOL

Doesn't it have the 75 battery . . . maybe not enough people were upgrading from 70 to 75. This makes a bigger difference.
It does. An after delivery option is available for 9K.
Crazy they put that huge battery in there that might never get paid for.
Would help resale since you can get a big mileage boost if you buy it used.

Attachments

• 75D option.png
    75D option.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 65
This is a wonderful idea. It is an offer to those hundreds of thousands of people on the waiting list for model 3. This interation of the 60 will be a wonderful car at a very good discount. It will perform the same as a 75 for local travel and will work much better than the old 60 for supercharger travel. It will supercharge faster than the old 60, and utilize the bottom of the battery for supercharging, making it charge faster than the 75, for the same number of miles. This is a good deal for the buyer. It also expands model S's addressable market. Well done!

Moreover, those CPO S60 from 2013/2014 are effectively worth less than $40K now IMO because of all the extras you get from buying a SW limited S60/S60D.

They may have to rethink their CPO pricing. Would you rather have this: 60 kWh Model S P12169 | Tesla Motors
or a new S60 for $4k more (after rebate)? You would not get leather, tech, and air suspension. But you get a brand new car with AP hardware + option to upgrade and option to upgrade battery. Not to mention all the over-time standard improvements that have been added.