Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we obviously won't know for certain until a new S60 gets out in the wild - but we know that the software locked S40s had the top portion locked off. I'd expect to see the same again - which would mean that 100% charging the new S60 would happen quickly and be perfectly safe for longevity.

in a discussion with tesla sales, they indicate that always charging @100% will affect your warranty if you should have early battery degradation. I guess big brother is watching how often to charge and at what percentage. Hope I'm wrong.

in a discussion with tesla sales, they indicate that always charging @100% will affect your warranty if you should have early battery degradation. I guess big brother is watching how often to charge and at what percentage. Hope I'm wrong.

Was that in connection with the new 60 specifically?

For 99% of the cars they've delivered, that makes perfect sense. The available evidence suggests it won't make sense for the refreshed S60.

Can you elaborate on what you see as the relevant distinction between "content" and "capability"?
Sure, the D has specific content (parts and software) that does not exist in the rear motor only car...and is more capable because of that content. In that case the value associated with the additional cost is evident. Additionally, the car costs more to produce, so it makes sense that it costs more to buy.
I understand the market position of the 60, but it's got a whiff of b.s. to it.

Also agree this is smart move by Tesla--I would expect this might also siphon off some impatient Model 3 reservation holders that were looking at higher end configs.
I am impatient but I hope something better. I can't imagine how much this is going to be worth once the model 3 hits the road. I know some say "it's not the same car", "it's luxury" etc but we are not talking about a high end model S with ludicrous mode here, we are talking of the lowest end mode with a range lower than the model 3.

I think that's how Tesla's going to collect the 'upgrade fees' -- some people will jailbreak their batteries but it'll void the warranty, and most people won't want to void the warranty. Lots of people will probably jailbreak the cars after the 8 year warranty is up, but does Tesla really care at that point? Probably not.

I am a huge AWD fan (from decades of driving in Canada), but frankly, I don't get why more people don't get the "non-D" base models. Why not use that money for a few other goodies? Cool color, wheels, pano roof, etc...
Rear-wheel drive cars are pretty good in 2016. Especially this one!

One often reads that "luxury-car buyers expect to have all-wheel drive". I am the bargain basement guy around here I guess!

WTF?:
  • I can't get over the feeling that this is Tesla ransomware. What's the cost to Tesla of releasing the full capacity? Close to nothing, right? Maybe the battery retains a little more capacity for resale. I guess "market value" will be the justification for the $8500 ransom. Leaves a bad taste.

Well, in any product line you always pay more for additional features. They have R&D costs to develop the battery technology and they have a pricepoint to protect. They're not in the business to give you something for nothing.

I am impatient but I hope something better. I can't imagine how much this is going to be worth once the model 3 hits the road. I know some say "it's not the same car", "it's luxury" etc but we are not talking about a high end model S with ludicrous mode here, we are talking of the lowest end mode with a range lower than the model 3.

If you are looking at pure performance, sure, but with a 0-60 of 5.5 sec and a 210 mile range, its pretty close to the Model 3 specs, with more room and a hatchback, which might be more important to some folks. Until the Model 3 pricing is out, its going to be hard to tell what the true pricing delta between cars is.

Sure, the D has specific content (parts and software) that does not exist in the rear motor only car...and is more capable because of that content. In that case the value associated with the additional cost is evident. Additionally, the car costs more to produce, so it makes sense that it costs more to buy.
I understand the market position of the 60, but it's got a whiff of b.s. to it.
If you're including software in "content" then the upgrades -- which involve changing the software -- are content as well as capability.
If it turns out to be more cost-effective (in some weird, complicated way) for Tesla to physically deliver unused content to you before
you choose to pay to realize the capability it enables, why does that bother you?

So Tesla just beats the magic 200 mile range with the 60. That might tempt some Model 3 reservation holders who planned to add a lot of options.

It may also entice people considering a Chevy Bolt. Its base price will be around $37,500 (Chevy says as low as $30k after tax credits) but once you add some options that make it more like the 60, how close will the price difference be?

I just finishing ordering my 60 just now! I was actually planning on getting a loaded Bolt later this year but I started looking at some MS CPOs. This change got me off the fence and into a MS. Now I just have to wait for my car!

So now do I have a dilemma? Put a $1000 deposit on a CPO S60 last month but still awaiting delivery. Car has been shipped so I'm obligated to pay the $1500 shipping if I decide to walk away or move my deposit to another car... Do I stay the course on the 2-year-old 60 or consider ordering a new one?

CPO (P34xxx), built 3/2014, 51K miles, $89,520 new; priced at $51,800 plus $1500 shipping is $53,300 plus tax.
Blue Metallic Paint (darker, discontinued), Pano, Tan Nappa, Premium Interior Lighting, Parking Sensors, Fog Lamps, 19", Obeche, Tech Pkg, UHFS, Smart Air, Supercharging, Paint Armor

Building a 60 outfitted similarly is $77,250 plus tax. Minus $7500 tax credit, so roughly $70,000 net.
60 RWD, Multi-Pattern Seats, Premium Upgrades ($3000), Smart Air ($2500), UHFS ($2500),

Nice to have:
Add $2500 for Next Gen seats
Add $2500 for Autopilot Convenience Features

I could forego air suspension (subtract $2500), so nets at $73,500.

The AP is very nice, no doubt, but I don't know if that plus the unlimited mileage battery warranty and a few other upgrades are worth $20,000 to me. And when my Model 3 reservation comes up I may trade/sell the S at that time... If I buy the new car and then move to the 3 in two years I'll take a huge hit on depreciation, much less on the CPO car.

I think I answered my own question, but always interested to hear the collective wisdom of this board.