Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, that's what I figured I needed to do. Works well, but noting that you have to manually add that charger as away point in each trip you want to use it in (it's not automatic). Given the number and variety of public charging points, I expect this is probably for the best.
But you can make it a favorite and simply reuse it over and over again instead of hunting it down and retyping everything.
Another suggestion: For the default (free) version, if you select "reverse route" you get a dialog box reminding you that multiple active trips are only for the subscribed version. How about adding an option to replace the current route with its mirror image? I don't necessarily want to save the two trips, but rather compare the energy usage and charging options for the two directions. I think this would be useful in both default and subscribed situations
You should like V1.1.3 that was just published to the stores. :)

A few notes on V1.1.3:
  • There is extensive new help in this version with more on the way.
  • Many of the menu items refer to Trip Segments instead of trips. For those that do not have the Pro version, just ignore the Segment word, as all of your trips just have one segment
  • On the map popup menus, the text buttons have been replaced with iconic buttons. This was because I was running out of space for the text buttons. See the (?) icon for an explanation on the other buttons, but everything is still functionally the same as before.
There may be one or more small updates before the major update that removes the need to optimize each segment. That version will be named V1.2.

Just grabbed v1.1.3 for iOS. Has EVTO always had the Google Street View button for chargers? That's pretty nifty, although of course it can only show chargers that have been photographed by the Google mapping fleet, and for some reason there aren't street views available for all the Superchargers. (Fresno is an example of stale data, and Dublin and LA/Hawthorne are examples of not having street views.) I figure that's out of your control though. Wonder if it'd also be useful to have a link to the Tesla page for each Supercharger from the map pop-up?

One thing I keep forgetting to mention: On the first page (the one with the picture of your Model X), it was surprising to tap on the "hamburger" menu (well that's what the UI guys at my work call it) and have a menu drop down from the opposite edge of the screen.

I continue to be impressed with this app. It did a great job planning out our Bay Area <-> San Diego trip last week.

Bruce.

Just grabbed v1.1.3 for iOS. Has EVTO always had the Google Street View button for chargers?
Brand new surprise for Pro owners. Enjoy.

I can't tell you the number of times I have circled around superchargers in new areas that were tucked around buildings or behind trees. :confused:

One of my UI experts suggested it.

Brand new surprise for Pro owners. Enjoy.

I can't tell you the number of times I have circled around superchargers in new areas that were tucked around buildings or behind trees. :confused:

One of my UI experts suggested it.

Me too! Circled enough that my wife said "oh look, there's a gas station, and one on the other corner, too!" o_O

Love the auto street level rotate based on phone compass rotation, and that it can be toggled off if needed. Buy the UI guy a beer or three!

One note though: Sucks phone battery life big time! Since I don't drive without the phone plugged in, not an issue. But just tried it and was surprised to see a 20% low battery warning popup. Seconds later I was down to 18%. Toggled rotate off and it held at 18%.

Will this app also be available in the Europe App store soon?
I think it's ready but am waiting for one of my EU testers to comment about the latest version and the new superchargers that were deployed recently. He has modeled trips all over Europe. Mostly it's solid but it had (has?) some quirks so be a bit patient when you get it. Hopefully tomorrow.

For basic direct routing it should be solid. Where it has run into issues is some of the more complex out and back trips. We also ran into a few places where Google choked on some addresses that Tesla supplied.

Will this app also be available in the Europe App store soon?
I want to give you an update on this. We ran into an issue today testing some routes. For some reason we are getting unexpected distances from the London Tower Bridge SC to other destinations. Now trying to figure out why this is. I am going to look into the details tomorrow. It may be just that SC or be systemic in the logic. Too early to tell yet.

The good new is that the fix will not require a refresh of the app so once we have it figured out it should be easy to turn on Europe (providing the fix is under our control).

• Informative
Reactions: stickybit
FYI, aesculus -- the "Developer Website" on your app page contains a typo (link is to digitialautoguides.com, which afternic.com is offering for sale).

One suggestion for long (multi-day) trip planning:

Add a "max leg duration" setting to automatically drop editable waypoints along the route that account for charge time.

Use case: with max leg duration set to 10 hours, the initial route from Houston to Fort Lauderdale might add waypoints in Loxley, AL & Whittier, FL (resulting in legs of 10, 10, and 2 hours). I look at the route and decide I can make it to Crestview, FL the first day and edit the waypoint (for extra credit, by dragging it along the route) to Crestview and the trip recalculates. Remainder of trip is now around 8 1/2 hours (<10 hits), so the second waypoint is removed as unnecessary and I'm good to go.

I have to do this iteratively now and it'd be great to have it automated.

FYI, aesculus -- the "Developer Website" on your app page contains a typo (link is to digitialautoguides.com, which afternic.com is offering for sale).
Thanks. I thought I had fixed that weeks ago. I fixed it again but it could take some time to update. I will keep an eye on it.
One suggestion for long (multi-day) trip planning:

Add a "max leg duration" setting to automatically drop editable waypoints along the route that account for charge time.

Use case: with max leg duration set to 10 hours, the initial route from Houston to Fort Lauderdale might add waypoints in Loxley, AL & Whittier, FL (resulting in legs of 10, 10, and 2 hours). I look at the route and decide I can make it to Crestview, FL the first day and edit the waypoint (for extra credit, by dragging it along the route) to Crestview and the trip recalculates. Remainder of trip is now around 8 1/2 hours (<10 hits), so the second waypoint is removed as unnecessary and I'm good to go.

I have to do this iteratively now and it'd be great to have it automated.

Interesting idea. I will add it to the list of considered enhancements.

There is another approach to this that is not quite as elegant perhaps as yours. Segment the trip. If you have not seen this idea here it is:

Trip Optimizer Tutorial | Digital Auto Guides

Note the running elapsed time in the Trip/Segment Summary dialog to help you with this.

I'm trying to use this to see how it would have made a long trip from IL to MT. It tells me I have to break it up in segments.

I used Find a scenic drive or plan a road trip with myscenicdrives.com (MySD) to help with is actual roadtrips that cover more than 1 day. It would be useful if EVTO would do that!!

In MySD you can let it generate stay over stops based on either time or distance (an advanced option lets you set those per day).

Additionally you can force some stops that it did not auto-generate. When I went from IL to MT via Custer, SD for the Tesla MeetUp I needed to stop for 2 nights. The first graphic below is how I forced that 2 night stop.
i.imgur.com/zaNuqi6.jpg
zaNuqi6.jpg

This is an auto-picked overnight stop.
i.imgur.com/D5EuPHM.jpg
D5EuPHM.jpg

This is settings general tab where in MySD that you pick you have an Electric car so you have some charging input information.
i.imgur.com/7iBSSy3.jpg
7iBSSy3.jpg

This is settings days tab where you can pick that you want days auto-picked via distance (miles).
i.imgur.com/cwArVWE.jpg
cwArVWE.jpg

This is settings days tab where you can pick that you want days auto-picked via time (or distance (miles))
i.imgur.com/O91dN2j.jpg
O91dN2j.jpg

This is settings days tab and 'advanced' area where you can pick that you want days auto-picked via time (or distance (miles))
i.imgur.com/X6c8e3C.jpg
X6c8e3C.jpg

I'm trying to use this to see how it would have made a long trip from IL to MT. It tells me I have to break it up in segments.
What is the message you are getting to require you to break it into segments? That only happens when you have over 25 or so stops in one segment.

If you pick a spot to segment the trip it will pause as long or short as you want it to. It can be the next day or whenever you want to start the trip again. You can even loop back to your starting point

Can you go into the Feedback Report and send the trip to me to look at? Just give me some info in the email like above so I can see what you are trying to accomplish and I will look it over and either provide suggestions, edit the trip or fix bugs if needed.

What is the message you are getting to require you to break it into segments? That only happens when you have over 25 or so stops in one segment.

If you pick a spot to segment the trip it will pause as long or short as you want it to. It can be the next day or whenever you want to start the trip again. You can even loop back to your starting point

Can you go into the Feedback Report and send the trip to me to look at? Just give me some info in the email like above so I can see what you are trying to accomplish and I will look it over and either provide suggestions, edit the trip or fix bugs if needed.
Thanks much for the quick feedback and offer. I am using the Pro option. I can't seem to recreate the message now. I am pretty sure it mentioned going over 23 or 25 stops. I was also trying a to go from IL to WA earlier today. If I can recreate it I will send it via feedback report.

Did you see the other information in my post on how MySD will automatically split it into days by time or distance? See last 3 pictures/images. It had a 'Flexibility' dropdown that was by miles but you could do something to make the stop be by a supercharger. Manually creating segments is cumbersome by comparison. Consider an auto-segment feature. Like waypoint auto vs manual. Add a waypoint+segement. TIA.

I am pretty sure it mentioned going over 23 or 25 stops.
That would be it.
Did you see the other information in my post on how MySD will automatically split it into days by time or distance? See last 3 pictures/images. It had a 'Flexibility' dropdown that was by miles but you could do something to make the stop be by a supercharger. Manually creating segments is cumbersome by comparison. Consider an auto-segment feature. TIA.
It's been added to the enhancement list.

Oddly I have had three of these types of requests in the last week so you are not alone.;)

Some of the debate the design team is having is how to determine where to call it a stop. The when is not so hard. It's the where. In the case of MySD you are already stopping for some reason other than juicing up your car. With the Tesla car and EVTO ALL of your stops could just be for charging unless you add additional waypoints.

Do we add another waypoint randomly? Use one of the superchargers? Ask the user in real-time? Tag extra waypoints as places you are willing to stay at?

We will look at how MySD does it too but if you have some thoughts on how you would like this to work, please let us know.

If you would like you can either send us the trip after you craft it and tell us how we should have done it automatically for you, or send us the origin/destination and the places you think you would like to stop at and we can take a stab at the trip planning and send you back our version. Just send it via the Feedback form so we have all the extra info that goes along with the trip.

Reactions: scottf200