Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I drove Oslo-Arezzo. The trip is approximately 2300km. I would have loved for the trip planner to suggest possible overnight stays along the way at places with destination chargers. Would have saved me from a lot of googling and calling.

Last year I drove Oslo-Arezzo. The trip is approximately 2300km. I would have loved for the trip planner to suggest possible overnight stays along the way at places with destination chargers. Would have saved me from a lot of googling and calling.
This is the 4th such related request this week. Is this a conspiracy?:)

We have jotted down this concept as an enhancement. Not sure where it could go yet but keep the ideas coming.

Reactions: snellenr
Everyone should check their 'about' within the app to see if they are on 1.1.2. They have a bug that doesn't allow it to get updated. Opps.
I had to update my phone and tablet and then specify the details for my car again, then redo my trip.
There is a bug in V1.1.2 that is not recognizing updates to the app. That will be fixed in V1.1.4.
... I would suggest you remove the app and reinstall from Play to get V1.1.3
<snip>
If you have other trips you can share them with yourself and import them after you reinstall.

Last edited:
This is the 4th such related request this week. Is this a conspiracy?:)
We have jotted down this concept as an enhancement. Not sure where it could go yet but keep the ideas coming.
@aesculus , I think it is requested because it is a critical feature. It is one of the biggest pains in long distance trip planning and even if it were not implemented perfectly it would be better than having to manually do it. More thoughts on this in a later post.

While, EVTO, has some unique features like the calendar additions, the basics of routing is already done in the cars nav, or with www.evtripping.com or www.evtripplanner.com or www.abetterrouteplanner.com . Long trips, in my experience, are not done adhoc so it is done from home with advanced planning. That is the beauty of the evtrip* sites.

While EVTO does have segments, they are clumsy and inflexible. For example, it is not obvious how to remove a segment stopping point once you have added it. I looks like you have to start the trip planning over!

Some of the debate the design team is having is how to determine where to call it a stop. The when is not so hard. It's the where. In the case of MySD you are already stopping for some reason other than juicing up your car. With the Tesla car and EVTO ALL of your stops could just be for charging unless you add additional waypoints.

Do we add another waypoint randomly? Use one of the superchargers? Ask the user in real-time? Tag extra waypoints as places you are willing to stay at?

We will look at how MySD does it too but if you have some thoughts on how you would like this to work, please let us know.
Find a scenic drive or plan a road trip with myscenicdrives.com (MySD) stops at chargers too. It let me pick Tesla chargers. These were all my waypoints.

THEN it lets you choose your day stops. I showed you these and highlighted the key points. Did you guys look at that?

It lets you pick your day stops by either distance (i.e. miles/km) or by time. IN ADDITION, you have a flexibility option which is a is terms of miles (say 30 miles) or time (say 60 minutes). If one of your waypoints (ie. supercharger) is WITHIN that flexible time then it picks that as you stopping point. Otherwise it just picks the place on the map and adds a "to do" entry for you to resolve (ie. to pick a place to stay which will add a another waypoint).

So you could just do something like they are but default to large flexibility values and/or add at "snap to supercharger" (next | nearest) option.

Example in MySD going from Rochester, MD to Buffalo, WY. I'm using the Time example but if I used the "Split Days By" Distance it works similarly. ALSO note that on the *individual* waypoint I can *explicity* state that I am staying 1 (or more days) and it will take that into consideration ... that is it will take the overall "Road trip settings" to figure out the next stop automatically (after the one I explicitly stated at a given waypoint).

Note Day Stop icon houses are before charging stops as I only had a flexibility of 5 minutes:
i.imgur.com/Vg34ZOF.jpg
Vg34ZOF.jpg

Next I use the 'overall' Road trip settings agin to chagne the Flexibility option to 30 mintues and it automatically "snapped" to my Supercharging locations. Note my "To Do" still has me locating hotels but they are now by the SCs.
i.imgur.com/4gFpz3A.jpg
4gFpz3A.jpg

Everyone should check their 'about' within the app to see if they are on 1.1.2. They have a bug that doesn't allow it to get updated. Opps.
I had to update my phone and tablet and then specify the details for my car again, then redo my trip.
The trick I used to preserve my favorited waypoints was to create a crazy route that included them all, then export it to myself. Uninstall and upgrade, then import the route. You can re-favorite the waypoints by simply walking the route, clicking the hearts. The car settings got lost, but easy to re-set.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
V1.1.3 I see a refesh problem with non-Superchargers. Make a new trip from the splash screen menu Plan a Trip. Show other chargers along the route with the (NA centric) socket icon. Make a new trip from the map page menu or splash page. Show other chargers again. This time they reappear along the original route, not the new route. Restarting the app does not lose the most recent trip but does reset the route of other chargers to the new trip path.

V1.1.3 I see a refesh problem with non-Superchargers. Make a new trip from the splash screen menu Plan a Trip. Show other chargers along the route with the (NA centric) socket icon. Make a new trip from the map page menu or splash page. Show other chargers again. This time they reappear along the original route, not the new route. Restarting the app does not lose the most recent trip but does reset the route of other chargers to the new trip path.
That is (supposedly) fixed in V1.1.4. When you get it let me know if not using the Feedback Report.

Did you optimize (select Auto on the New Trip dialog or use the Optimize from the menu) ?
Um, I just did "Plan a Trip" -> added my details, roundtrip, no destination charging, Auto -> Calculate

The route pretty much matches what I imagine I'd need to take, supercharger suggested also makes sense, though not at -4% SOC.

If I do an optimize segment, it actually seems to route me in a pretty strange (and long) way.

The parameters:
Car: Model X 100D, SOC at start 100%

Start: WholeFoods, Knoxville, TN
End: 900 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN.

Love to see the trip. Use the Feedback Report on the main menu and just copy the comment above and I will check it out.
Well, I just noticed there's a new version (1.1.4, so I assume I was on 1.1.3 before), I updated to it and now when I do new trip - it always aborts with "map services being slow", when I do resume trip to edit destination/start points, there's no option for roundtrip (or I don't see it).

when I do resume trip to edit destination/start points, there's no option for roundtrip (or I don't see it).
The Round Trip option was when you made the trip. But to see the segments of a round trip, use the little map icon which should have a red (2) next to the map for a round trip.

And don't forget you have to optimize the trip segments in order from start to finish. I am working on removing that requirement for the next release, V1.2.

The destination icon on the map will be white as a hint that segment needs to be optimized.

The Round Trip option was when you made the trip. But to see the segments of a round trip, use the little map icon which should have a red (2) next to the map for a round trip.
When I made the trip - I could not really make it because of the maps error (something that did not happen in 1.1.3 5 minutes before the update).
So when I do resume, the trip is empty and I need to populate the start/end points, but no way to tell it it's a roundtrip.

Screenshot_20170422-012511.png

btw, I managed to restore the old trip from previous trips folder.

The destination is green, so implies it was optimized already I assume.

I am not sure what "restore purchages" would do for me - I did not really purchase anything yet.

Edit - pressed "restore purchases" anyway and it's been spinning "Verifying Orders" dialog for like 5+ minutes already.

Screenshot_20170422-013059.png Screenshot_20170422-013106.png

Last edited: