Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, my bad, I thought I was billed originally already, lol. Too bad there's no way for it to say that explicitly (that it's the end of the grace period); it sounds like an annual renewal. Happy to pay!

Don't feel too bad, I got confused by this as well. Perhaps Apple's billing system doesn't have a good way to express the concept of a free trial.

Bruce.

Reactions: boaterva
We've just updated EVTO to version 1.1.6, a maintenance release. Please update to stay current with the latest features. You can download the latest release from the App Store or Google Play.

You may have been following a thread about the upcoming 4th Annual Sounds of Silence Rally. EVTO is a perfect planning companion for "what-if" road trips. So…

I've just posted an advanced route planning tutorial on our website, using EVTO to plan a three-day trip from the Bay Area to the Sounds of Silence Rally (May 19th-20th) in Custer SD. The tutorial explores using EVTO to lay out a trip with automatic charging stops, as well as building the trip incrementally in segments, day by day, with overnight stops in Winnemucca NV and Billings MT. You'll find our Sounds of Silence tutorial here.

You can also explore other Tips & Tricks and FAQs at our website.

We're working hard on the next release of EVTO with some exciting new features coming your way. You can get a sneak peek at our new charger graphics in the tutorial. We implemented this change in response to an excellent suggestion from an EVTO user, and we're delighted with the new look.

As always, if you have any suggestions for EVTO or Tips & Tricks requests, please send them our way. Our goal continues to be providing the indispensable trip planning companion app for Tesla owners.

We've just updated EVTO to version 1.1.6, a maintenance release. Please update to stay current with the latest features. You can download the latest release from the App Store or Google Play.

You may have been following a thread about the upcoming 4th Annual Sounds of Silence Rally. EVTO is a perfect planning companion for "what-if" road trips. So…

I've just posted an advanced route planning tutorial on our website, using EVTO to plan a three-day trip from the Bay Area to the Sounds of Silence Rally (May 19th-20th) in Custer SD. The tutorial explores using EVTO to lay out a trip with automatic charging stops, as well as building the trip incrementally in segments, day by day, with overnight stops in Winnemucca NV and Billings MT. You'll find our Sounds of Silence tutorial here.

You can also explore other Tips & Tricks and FAQs at our website.

We're working hard on the next release of EVTO with some exciting new features coming your way. You can get a sneak peek at our new charger graphics in the tutorial. We implemented this change in response to an excellent suggestion from an EVTO user, and we're delighted with the new look.

As always, if you have any suggestions for EVTO or Tips & Tricks requests, please send them our way. Our goal continues to be providing the indispensable trip planning companion app for Tesla owners.
Really nice effort on your post and your humorous and usable tutorial. Clearly you put in a lot of work into what you do.

Minor - Your 1st stop in your post is 'Winnemucca NV' but in your tutorial is 'Elko [NV] Supercharger'. I'm guessing you went back and forth in your testing on where to stop.
Minor - You left out the screen capture of your 2nd segment/day. It is a pretty long day. I realize you wanted your 3rd day shorter to arrive earlier.

This is a good test case for your future work on segments. In the tutorial you didn't take your initial trip and use the tool to break it up into 3 segments. That is a few more steps and not as simple. As well, another test after doing this is to pick Bozeman, MT for your second day, then do the steps to remove it, and change it to Billings, MT. This shows a bug where it is having trouble removing it (I get merging dialog but it doesn't go away) and I need to shut down the app and start again. I did a test with myscenicdrives which automatically picked Bozeman as my 2nd day but that was only because it tried to make the 3 days even vs your requirement of wanting a shorter day. I get it. myscenicdrives also doesn't automatically route through SuperChargers. I used your tool to add them as waypoints. i.e. myscenicdrives did understand 'supercharger Bozement, MT' as a waypoint and found it.

I know I give you a hard time about multi-day trips, but I do appreciate your work, efforts, and tool. Clearly a lot of time has been spent on all you are doing. Thanks.

I know I give you a hard time about multi-day trips, but I do appreciate your work, efforts, and tool. Clearly a lot of time has been spent on all you are doing. Thanks.
Thanks. Credit for this tutorial really needs to go to my UI guy who will get the feedback and make changes as appropriate.

We are working to get these segmented trips, and all trips, easier to use and more accurate. That will be coming in V1.2. It's a bit like my own personal AP1 > AP2 transformation. ;)

Yeah. That's weird. If you do it from Chrome it works (shows all my apps under the Digital Auto Guides family in iTunes web). If you do it from Safari it tries to load music from me in the iTunes app (I don't have any, at least none that you would want to listen to :)).

So I was able to update the link so if you are using it from an iOS device, it will prompt you if you want to go to the iTunes Store instead of taking you to my music (blank).

Thanks for spotting this.

I've been playing around with it this weekend, testing out a trip to the eastern shore of MD and another to the Outer Banks. One language usage that I have a question about is the 'stops' count.

On what would normally be called a non-stop trip (you left, you arrived, no charging or other stops on the way), the app shows 'one stop', meaning the destination I assume.

Shouldn't this follow normal usage (as in aviation) where 'stops' are intermediate only? A non-stop flight does stop at the destination. ;)

Or is there a reason for this usage in the app?

Btw, nit-pick, app looks great and the FAQ is good. I need to go through the tutorial mentioned up-thread to see how that is.

Tesla has brought back the Sunday Drive (sometimes there is a bakery stop in there, but not always).
Speaking of Sunday drives, we've just posted a basic tutorial to help you plan one: Route Planning: A One-day Scenic Drive. This tutorial demonstrates the creation of a short trip beginning and ending at the same location, predicting energy requirements along the way. EVTO makes it easy to plan a leisurely one-day excursion.

If you haven't tried EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla (EVTO), it's a free download for iOS and Android. We're continuing to work hard, developing new features and polishing user interactions to make EVTO the preferred route-planning companion for all Tesla owners. If you're already an EVTO user, you can help us by taking a moment to rate the app.

Check out our EVTO website for a growing list of Tips & Tricks and other informative posts.

As always, please drop us a line with suggestions for future tutorials, or just to say hi.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200 and Gwgan
I just posted a small maintenance release (V1.1.7) that addresses a bug fix in the Waypoint Inspector when you manually added a supercharger by address.

We are still actively working on the next major update for EVTO. No definitive date set yet as the team of volunteer developers and beta testers want to put as much effort into insuring a quality release as we can. In the meantime, continue to send us feedback reports and comments. This has been very helpful in solidifying the requirements and isolating issues.

In segment details how is mph decided? It's much lower then speed limit on that road sometimes.
What if I want to drive faster? How much more charge do I need?
The app uses Google's estimated driving times for each turn instruction. So if you have 5 turn legs before you get on a highway and 5 to get off, there could be 11 different legs that get calculated. Since the 10 legs surrounding the major leg are going to be slower, you will never see the maximum speed for a stretch of travel between waypoints. The speed and travel time for the distance between waypoints is a sum of these legs.

The power estimated is derived from these estimates along with weather and elevation. You can also influence the power consumption by adjusting the power factor in the Edit Trip Details panel. While this does change the speed internally, it does not change the travel time, hence you will notice the speed or travel time change on the app. In the future we will adapt the app to show the changes to speed and travel time too.

Some low priority "nice to have" features:

• To consider time it takes to get out of the car and plug the the charger and then remove the charger and get out of the super charger.
  • Battery degradation percentage: A text box where the user can enter how much percent the battery has degraded so that the app can take that into account.

Some low priority "nice to have" features:

• To consider time it takes to get out of the car and plug the the charger and then remove the charger and get out of the super charger.
  • Battery degradation percentage: A text box where the user can enter how much percent the battery has degraded so that the app can take that into account.
You'll be happy to know that both are supported currently.
  • The first one is built into the app and is 5 minutes total overhead per charging stop.
  • The second one you will find in My Cars on the main menu. Look at the 90 SoC % Rated Range setting.

Please forgive me if answered already (I read page one and page 15), but can this app be loaded on my Laptop PC to set up and plan the trip, saved, then login from the Tesla touch screen? Or do I have to just use it on my I-phone 5?
No. It's an app for iOS and Android. It cannot be used on a web browser.

There is a request for a feature (sometime in the distant future) to be able to show the trip on the Tesla touchscreen, but not change it.

So I decided to try figuring out this app again for a trip I'm taking this weekend. We are going up to the north Georgia mountains for the weekend. I may not be able to charge at all until I get back so wanted to see what that would look like taking into account the drive up, all the driving around and the drive back.

I started by putting in the drive up as the initial trip. Then I added segments for each additional destination all the way through until the drive back home for a total of 8 segments. I couldn't find a screen that would show me where my SOC would be at each stop. When I went to the final segment to see what my SOC would be when arriving home it had set my initial SOC for the segment home back to 100% but there were no chargers in my trip anywhere. Not sure what is going on.