Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sdorn brought me an interesting trip that had a bunch of days with small out and back trips in an area with no superchargers. He treated each day as a separate segment which is exactly what he should do. He just needed to manually adjust each day's start time to ensure the weather was correct and carry over the energy remaining from the prior day to the start of the next day. I ran it through the next major version of the app and it will automatically reallocate the energy as well as start the next segment on a default time of day, next day, in the settings. So all of this will be much simpler then.

@sdorn brought me an interesting trip that had a bunch of days with small out and back trips in an area with no superchargers. He treated each day as a separate segment which is exactly what he should do. He just needed to manually adjust each day's start time to ensure the weather was correct and carry over the energy remaining from the prior day to the start of the next day. I ran it through the next major version of the app and it will automatically reallocate the energy as well as start the next segment on a default time of day, next day, in the settings. So all of this will be much simpler then.

Thanks for helping me work through it at 1 in the morning.

Last night I downloaded the app and tried to use it. I could not figure out how to add my home address into favorites. Also, each time I tried to set up this Friday's trip it would route me the most direct, when I need to go another way. I finally figured out to set up the Supercharger I wanted to use on a "Add Waypoint". Still, I had to keep starting over by clearing out old with starting new, entering my home address again, as well as destination address. After about 6 or 7 times I finally gave up. It would be nice to have a "How to use" help.

Last night I downloaded the app and tried to use it. I could not figure out how to add my home address into favorites. Also, each time I tried to set up this Friday's trip it would route me the most direct, when I need to go another way. I finally figured out to set up the Supercharger I wanted to use on a "Add Waypoint". Still, I had to keep starting over by clearing out old with starting new, entering my home address again, as well as destination address. After about 6 or 7 times I finally gave up. It would be nice to have a "How to use" help.
It's in the FAQ in the app, but it's one of the less obvious features.... :D I've found the best way is to create a trip, enter the address(es), then go to that endpoint/waypoint, click on the pin, and you will see the (empty) heart symbol as one of the options in the info box. Clicking on it will 'fill' it and create it as a favorite. The 'manage favorites' items will let you delete them.

I'd like to be able to enter them in the 'manage' area, also.

Great app.

Just waiting on the option to adjust the speed to 5 mph over the speed limit (my cruising speed on interstates) like you can do on evtripplanner.com.
Once you add that feature, I will purchase.
Actually you can't do exactly that in EVTP, either. The route planners all use average speed data, not speed limits. I wish they would/could use speed limit data, but I don't think it is readily available.

But I agree that a speed factor might be a good addition. While using EVtripplanner, I tend to adjust the speed factor and check the speed predicted until it matches reality. A speed factor for each leg of the trip might be even more useful.

Just a tease of an update as we are in the final stages of updating EVTO for the next major release. Most of the functions are coded and we are now in extensive test mode.

temp.jpg

Reactions: IdaX and Mattzilla
Looking forward to the new update! Sorry if someone else has already asked this, but is there a setting for round-trip? I'm trying to see how a trip from home to the airport to back home would look in the planner but I don't see a way to do this. Thanks!

Looking forward to the new update! Sorry if someone else has already asked this, but is there a setting for round-trip? I'm trying to see how a trip from home to the airport to back home would look in the planner but I don't see a way to do this. Thanks!
If you have the Pro version yes. It's in the New Trip dialog.

Reactions: Mattzilla
Looks very flexible. Will the software still limit the values based on the car's published maximums, or will it go with our numbers? I like to play "what if..."
Not exactly sure if I have your question correct but here goes:

The app is not constrained by any EPA or other range metric. It uses the available battery capacity as stated by Tesla and refined by your setting in My Cars for its current capacity. Then the app uses a slew of things to figure out how much energy you need to get from waypoint to waypoint such as wind, road conditions, temperature, precip, elevation, cabin temp, drive distance and speed. No use of estimated ranges are used. It's all raw science such as rolling and wind resistance, weight of the car, cabin heating/cooling etc.

It is conceivable, and I have been called out on it by users, that you can certainly achieve much more distance than the rated range. This is one reason that the Segment Details uses the term ER (Estimated Range) vs RR.

The app is not constrained by any EPA or other range metric. It uses the available battery capacity as stated by Tesla and refined by your setting in My Cars for its current capacity. Then the app uses a slew of things to figure out how much energy you need to get from waypoint to waypoint such as wind, road conditions, temperature, precip, elevation, cabin temp, drive distance and speed.
Ok, so if I tell it my 90% range is, say, 350 miles, it won't use that in the calculations, right? (The use case is to do what-if experiments for a possible future car purchase.)

Ok, so if I tell it my 90% range is, say, 350 miles, it won't use that in the calculations, right? (The use case is to do what-if experiments for a possible future car purchase.)
No. It will use that in the calculation. It will limit the capacity of available power. Hence how far you can go and how much the battery will charge to in kWh.

If you want to try different battery types just pick a different battery size in My Cars. By default any time you change the battery size it will default to 100%. You have to manually override the life of the battery with your 90% charge if you no longer get 100% efficiency. This is the one place rate range is used. I used to ask for the actual life percent but most users wanted it done by the way the car reported rated range at 90% charge.

And if you change the battery size you will either have to reoptimize or just make a simple change like going into Edit Segment Details and pressing Save. That will not change the chargers selected but will force a recalc using your new battery.

I updated the chargers today. If you exit the app and reload it you should see a longer start time while it updates the chargers from the cloud. Includes:
  • All new chargers as of last Friday
  • Any change to the stall counts have been applied
  • Changes to the amenities have been applied