Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip planned with manually added Bristol, TN SC since TMC knew it was working before the Tesla map was finally updated. What is the best way to change that stop to an automatic (optimized) stop (no icon to red A icon)?

Trip done. Lessons learned. Missing 200lbs in the payload setting does not make a significant difference but changing the Power Factor from 0 to 0.5 changes the prediction error for kWh used from undershooting by 10-20% to being very close to perfect. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
When using the trip calculator, anyone tried using the check button "Plan as Round Trip"? I was calculating a trip from Ceasar Palace, LV, NV to Zion National Park.

I chose destination having no charger, but on the round trip it calculate the assumption i will be leaving Zion with 100% battery. The setting I have is 90% SOC and 25% Reserve SOC.

From Ceasar Palace, it asked me to stop by St George and arrive at destination with 58% battery. I would assume for round trip, it would start from that destination at 58% to calculate my way back to Ceasar Palace.

1.png 2.png 3.png

I chose destination having no charger, but on the round trip it calculate the assumption i will be leaving Zion with 100% battery. The setting I have is 90% SOC and 25% Reserve SOC.
The algorithm in V1.1.9 has some issues in a few circumstances. Ideally it should have had you hit St George in both directions. You will have to add the additional one manually on the return segment.

The next version will handle this much better.

The next release of EVTO will have better support for offline use. You will not be able to change the route or optimize, but you will be able to get to all the trip data so even when you are not within cell coverage, you will be able to access all of your trip information and charging requirements..

You will also be able to see the waypoint information too but unfortunately because of Google licensing restrictions, I will not be able to show the map background, just the waypoints and route.

Reactions: DaddyP713
The functionality is near complete. Maybe a few more weeks on that. Then I will need to get enough stable trips under all the testers. Maybe two weeks of that. And then a week for Apple?

This is a BIG release (version). Loyal early adopters will be handsomely rewarded.

Hopefully 30 days.

Any chance you've added an "avoid tolls" option to avoid having to manually add waypoints to route?

Toll roads and highways not always interesting when looking to take the road less traveled.

Parting thought: The Google map feature of dragging a route would be a handsome reward :)

Any chance you can get the app to work on a chromebook that runs android apps? The app does not show up in the play store when using my chromebook. Can the app be side loaded for now? Where can one get the apk?
I'll put it on the list of investigations. Right now the two pieces that I know could cause issues are the touch and lack of GPS support. Not that the app couldn't work without these, but they are currently expected.

You can take up a discussion with me on this via [email protected]

Thanks aesculus for the fast reply. I'll switch this thread over to [email protected] but some quick feedback. I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro which has both touch and a gps. I'd be happy to test it out for you as I am about to go on a cross country trip and love your app and would really like to use my chromebook :)

Question that I might have missed the answer to... where does the Supercharger info actually come from? I know you mentioned above that there's external Supercharger info, but do you really have to manually add the data or is the source Tesla or supercharge.info or it's codeword? :D

For example, the new Grasonville, Maryland site is up on the Tesla Nav, but isn't on the Tesla.com Find Us (for some weird reason). I just refreshed/optimized a trip I have in EVTO to Oxford, Maryland (Eastern Shore), and Grasonville SuC doesn't show at all. Also deleted the trip and re-created it, no change. Also restarted the app and saw it 'load Supercharger data' but still no change for that SuC.

Was wondering how new SuC's 'appear' for the app 'normally/automatically'. Thanks!

I have an unofficial listing of Tesla charging sites I pull the data from. From this list I create a file that is both loaded on the device and is used by the server in determining which chargers to allocate to the trip when optimizing. This list is generally updated by Tesla weekly and then it might be a week before I update it so it could be a two week delay.

When the app starts up it checks to see if chargers have been updated (the message you referred to) and if there is a new one, it downloads that list to use until the next one is created. Note if you change your region in Settings a new list is downloaded too. The app only keeps a copy of your regions chargers.

The last update I did was on August 29th and Grasonville was still listed as pending with no additional info (address, amenities, actual lat/lng). This is probably the same list the Tesla Find Us uses. Clearly the car uses a different list.

BTW the North America list is mostly superchargers with a few standard chargers. Missing are the Tesla destination chargers. The next version of the app will provide both superchargers and Tesla Destination Chargers and a way to filter the display so you can see one or the other or both. There are about 4k destination chargers so you will need that filter. Auto charger allocation will only include superchargers.

I have an unofficial listing of Tesla charging sites I pull the data from. From this list I create a file that is both loaded on the device and is used by the server in determining which chargers to allocate to the trip when optimizing. This list is generally updated by Tesla weekly and then it might be a week before I update it so it could be a two week delay.

When the app starts up it checks to see if chargers have been updated (the message you referred to) and if there is a new one, it downloads that list to use until the next one is created. Note if you change your region in Settings a new list is downloaded too. The app only keeps a copy of your regions chargers.

The last update I did was on August 29th and Grasonville was still listed as pending with no additional info (address, amenities, actual lat/lng). This is probably the same list the Tesla Find Us uses. Clearly the car uses a different list.

BTW the North America list is mostly superchargers with a few standard chargers. Missing are the Tesla destination chargers. The next version of the app will provide both superchargers and Tesla Destination Chargers and a way to filter the display so you can see one or the other or both. There are about 4k destination chargers so you will need that filter. Auto charger allocation will only include superchargers.
Thanks for the details, and looking forward to the new update (in general) and the Destination Charger list!

Quick update on the status of the next version of EVTO:

We have run into quirk in the app with a beta tester in Europe who has a bug in creating new trips. So far this is the only user and none of the rest of the beta users have the same issue. We are honing in on why this is happening to clear it up before the release, even if it is isolated. Once that is done we will submit the app to the stores for release.

There are over 500 bug fixes or improvements in the next version and it will be called Version 2.0.

Stay tuned for additional announcements and a special offer for TMC users as we near the release.

BTW new superchargers were added yesterday including the set to get AU users to the Hornsdale event.