Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to create a tutorial on the battery heating capability. While it's a bit late for it this year, in the beta users and my experience, it can make a big difference in cold weather predictions. Up to 10% battery capacity is not unusual. Since most like to operate within 5% tolerances, this could be a game changer for some trips.

Of course keeping with the EVTO theme it has a lot of nuances depending on not only the temperature but where you charge, the charger type, if you start out pre conditioned, where en route your are and if you use Range Mode or not. There is only one checkbox in Edit Trip Details to turn this off or on, but lots going on behind the scene.

There is some fairly extensive help on the appropriate screens but it is not cut or dry. Add to that there is NO documentation from Tesla on this and we had to discover what WE THINK is going on from many posts on TMC and a number of beta users who logged extensive trips in moderately or very cold weather.

Also under the cover there are two calculations that are not trivial:
  • Cold soaking - ie starting with a cold battery
  • En route battery heating
So while there is only one item turn turn on/off the feature, what you have selected elsewhere or what the weather is doing could have an impact that you may not be totally aware of. Kind of like the car. :)

Hence why it's labeled experimental.;)

Reactions: Gwgan
By now you should have been updated to EVTO 3.0. If not look for the update.

A few of us worked on a tutorial to help explain the new battery heating feature.

Tesla Winter Driving | Digital Auto Guides

Thanks for the work on presenting this data in a good looking app. I'm a supporter and user of your app and have found that it makes trip planning quick and painless. Pennsylvania to South Carolina and back used to have a 3 hour stretch before a new SuC was opened and I was able to tackle that portion confidently within two weeks of getting my new-to-me MS85.

Does your app take into calculation elevation changes? I subscribed to your yearly pro service to check it out.

I feel like elevation change is something teslas navigation doesnt take into account. For example, driving from Los angeles to san francisco . The grapevine elevation change is so great, it really eats up battery. I estimate it uses about double the power going up. My car estimate is never correct when going through that.

Also, any thought into linking up with my tesla account? This way it can get real time information from the car and recalculate the route if necessary.

Does your app take into calculation elevation changes? I subscribed to your yearly pro service to check it out.
Yes it does. And it also takes into effect speed, wind, precipitation, driving style, car profile ...

You can get more info on how it works here:
EVTO for Tesla – Frequently Asked Questions | Digital Auto Guides

Look at the 4th question for example.

I feel like elevation change is something teslas navigation doesnt take into place. For example, driving from Los angeles to san francisco . The grapevine elevation change is so great, it really eats up battery. I estimate it uses about double the power going up. My car estimate is never correct when going through that.
I hear you on the hills. I take my car into the Sierras to go skiing multiple times a week. It takes 45% of my battery to go up and only 10% to go back home.:)

The Tesla navigation system does take into account elevation but it can be masked quickly by recent driving or changing conditions. For example it uses your last 30 miles of consumption to try to guess how your trip might evolve going forward. This is OK if everything remains the same. But if you slow down or speed up, encounter wind or precipitation, drive more aggressively, draft etc., all of this goes out the window. EVTO tries to do a lot more to determine your projected energy consumption, and down to very small steps, not just per trip.

This is the biggest reason I created EVTO. I got really frustrated following the trip arrival estimates. They either made me stop much sooner than I should have to charge or put me in a hard spot when I found out I would arrive with far less energy than it predicted.

Reactions: ohmman
A user discovered a bug today when creating a new Round Trip. It appears EVTO is not setting the return segments data correctly when the trip is created. This will be fixed in V3.0.5

For now you will have to immediately follow up with a Refresh Auto Chargers after the trip is created if you choose Auto as the calculation method. If you chose Manual because you wanted to set the return segments date/time or something else, you are already covered.

Is it possible to fix the popup that always comes up stating I have a subscription. It comes up everytime I open the app on my android phone.
I did not realize this was doing this. I will fix it in the next release.

Can you use the Feedback Report on the main menu and send me a screenshot of the offending popup so I make sure I am targeting the right message?

Hi, I'm checking out EVTO before a big road trip. I have loaded a frequent trip for me (my home in Flagstaff AZ to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and a return), to compare the predictions with my experience.

I notice the SOC chart is a straight line from beginning SOC to ending SOC. In reality, the BIG descent into the Verde Valley and the BIG climb back up really changes the SOC from a straight line. When you start the downhill, you are in regen almost all the way down.

The Tesla SOC calculations reflect this big valley, but it seems that EVTO does not. Can you comment?

Last edited:
Butting in here since I happened to be looking at trips in EVTO when I saw this post, the Consumption graph shows a constant value for each leg of the trip, one quite a bit higher than the other. The slope of the SOC graph of each leg is consistent. The elevation change is not consistent, with a peak on the middle. Is EVTO showing a an average for the legs?

F6AEE30D-45BC-4B12-B60F-508DA23591F6.jpeg

Is EVTO showing a an average for the legs?
@Gwgan . Thanks for the interesting question. The answer is sort of, but it depends.

EVTO uses the elevations at each change in routing (a step). So if a trip is made up of many waypoints, each broken into different legs which are made up of steps, this is the unit of granularity. Google determines these steps. Speed is also set within each of these steps.

So it could be that you drive 100 miles without stopping or making a directional change and that would be the average. In general this is usually not a problem because the elevation change value often averages out, the regen effect is high and other factors such as weather influences, speed, driving style etc wash out the effect.

But if you do encounter a situation where you go up a mountain pass and then descend to the same elevation again within one of these steps, and the change is very large, it could skew the estimate EVTO provides. In this case I would recommend adding a manual waypoint (easiest to create by pressing and holding on the road segment at the mountain pass point). This will then capture the true elevation change and also potentially benefit the model with another weather set. Currently EVTO uses the weather at all waypoints and does an average weather estimate between the two waypoints for the step in the middle.

You can get more details of how EVTO works under the covers here:
EVTO for Tesla – Frequently Asked Questions | Digital Auto Guides

Hi, I'm checking out EVTO before a big road trip. I have loaded a frequent trip for me (my home in Flagstaff AZ to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and a return), to compare the predictions with my experience.

I notice the SOC chart is a straight line from beginning SOC to ending SOC. In reality, the BIG descent into the Verde Valley and the BIG climb back up really changes the SOC from a straight line. When you start the downhill, you are in regen almost all the way down.

The Tesla SOC calculations reflect this big valley, but it seems that EVTO does not. Can you comment?
I went backwards and answered @Gwgan question first and I hope it answered yours too.

Remember the car is showing actual consumption and EVTO is estimating for planning purposes. In the end of the day the goal is to get with 2%-3% of the battery for each waypoint.

I did not realize this was doing this. I will fix it in the next release.

Can you use the Feedback Report on the main menu and send me a screenshot of the offending popup so I make sure I am targeting the right message?

I'm getting the same on an iPhone.

Also having crashes when zooming in to a route to add a waypoint. Didn't know they could be added by pressing and holding on a segment, which is why I'm now noticing the crashes when zooming in to test adding a waypoint.

iPhone X IOS 11.3. - Screenshot sent.

Also having crashes when zooming in to a route to add a waypoint. Didn't know they could be added by pressing and holding on a segment, which is why I'm now noticing the crashes when zooming in to test adding a waypoint.

Crashes <> GOOD

If you could use the same Feedback Report you used for the popup and also attach the trip (Active Trip checkbox) I can check in on the crash. Also just describe where you did the press just in case.

Crashes <> GOOD

If you could use the same Feedback Report you used for the popup and also attach the trip (Active Trip checkbox) I can check in on the crash. Also just describe where you did the press just in case.

Didn't realize I wasn't on the latest. Just updated, and still getting the subscription message (just replied to your mail).

However, the crashing issue with Ver 3.0.4 is resolved with the same trip and centered on the same location(s) I had been trying!

I'm getting the same on an iPhone.

iPhone X IOS 11.3. - Screenshot sent.

I'm not able to manually add a waypoint by pressing and holding on the route. All I get is a pop up with the Drive Time.