Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will get my MX in June and I'm trying to find a way to plan long distance routes that would predict where and when to stop for charging.

This app looks very promising.

Few questions:
1. Once I finish planning in the app, how can I export my route to Tesla navigation? Is it even possible? Could find the answer in FAQ. If it's not possible, what is the recommended approach?

2. Does the app takes into account usual traffic? In most cases same distance will take different amount of energy depending on traffic.

Thank you.

Caught up with this, as, as usual, notifications here didn’t show me it was active. It has to bubble to the top often enough to get noticed. :D

I’m wondering if Google et al. are shooting themselves in the foot. If all small app users (like EVTO and and TeslaWaze) leave them, does that really have no impact on them? I know they are monstrous but pricing themselves out of the small app market seems nuts.

1. Once I finish planning in the app, how can I export my route to Tesla navigation? Is it even possible? Could find the answer in FAQ. If it's not possible, what is the recommended approach?
Yes. If you have a subscription you can export the segments stops to you devices calendar and from there the Tesla app will show them on your cars calendar. All you have to do is touch each one and the navigation will be loaded with that waypoint.
2. Does the app takes into account usual traffic? In most cases same distance will take different amount of energy depending on traffic.
Well it does today but it won't in V3.3 because Google has raised their prices so much I will be using historical averages vs time based results. So if you plan a trip through an urban area you will get the same result no matter what time you travel.:(

Well the above statement is not 100% correct. It might change based on weather and upstream conditions, but not because of time of day traffic.

Take a peak at the tutorials and the compiled help. You can get lost in all of this information.
Digital Auto Guides | Bringing mobile technology to both classic and emerging automobiles.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if Google et al. are shooting themselves in the foot. If all small app users (like EVTO and and TeslaWaze) leave them, does that really have no impact on them? I know they are monstrous but pricing themselves out of the small app market seems nuts.
Trust me. They don't care. I have spent a lot of time on this with them.

I suspect that all they really want is their logo on the map at the level they have deemed to be limited impact. And then those entities that really use their services will pay what Google thinks is their fair share. Those of us in the middle will find other alternatives.

For the last few days I have been using www.graphhopper.com to provide my matrix results and they are at or a bit cheaper that Googles current prices so we know it can be done. While the results are not as "accurate" as Google's, they are well within the tolerances required for EVTO and other factors such as driving style, traffic and weather will overshadow any minor differences.

Now I just hope Google does not go deeper in their quest to be a profit center for all aspects of their business. I lived through this with another multinational over the last 20 years and it was one of those things that dramatically changed that company, and IMHO, not for the best.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The other day a potential user asked me for a simple overview and I realized that I did not have a basic first timers tutorial.

EVTO First Trip Tutorial

While its a basic single segment trip with only one charging stop you probably would not even need EVTO for, it does help explain some very simple concepts you can use to build upon a more significant planning exercise. You might even find a trick or two that is new to you.;)

Just a note that EVTO was indispensable on my recent towing trip. I seem to have the settings dialed in for my rig and driving style, as it was incredibly helpful planning when, where, and how long to stop.
Super. Thanks to you for all the data you have provided too. Along with others who tow various rigs we are starting to get a handle on the characteristics used within the model. It's not trivial to set up and learn some of the nuances, but once you get the feeling it does seem to get pretty close.

Hi,

I am new to the app and was wondering if it can adjust for enabling/disabling "range mode"? I don't see an option in the app but perhaps I missed it.
As @BerTX mentioned, range mode is both subtle and can do more harm than good if not used correctly. You can search TMC for more input but here is my take: Only turn it on while en route and make sure you turn it off when you arrive at a charger. And really the only time it seems to help me is in colder months to lessen the battery heating (assuming you have a MS/MX).

For EVTO you would have to use the Power Factor -5 setting to simulate it.

More tips and tricks can be found here:

EVTO Additional Information

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
As @BerTX mentioned, range mode is both subtle and can do more harm than good if not used correctly. You can search TMC for more input but here is my take: Only turn it on while en route and make sure you turn it off when you arrive at a charger. And really the only time it seems to help me is in colder months to lessen the battery heating (assuming you have a MS/MX).

For EVTO you would have to use the Power Factor -5 setting to simulate it.

More tips and tricks can be found here:

EVTO Additional Information

Very helpful, thanks. I drive an S75D. I am traveling tomorrow from Fort Worth to Childress, TX and it is supposed to be super hot outside (hi temp = 106F) . It looks like I can make it if I charge to 100% and drive ~65mph. Would you recommend leaving range mode off?

Would you recommend leaving range mode off?
You can turn it on but I am not sure it will have more effect than raising your cabin temp a bit and slowing down. Use the navigation feature and monitor your consumption and adjust speed if needed to stay in the SoC window. EVTO includes winds and temperature if you set the trip date/time correctly. For that part of TX the navigation battery display should be pretty consistent once you are on the road for awhile.

Good luck and make sure you have a backup plan (alternative charger) in case things are different than you planned for.

Reactions: BerTX and jrad6515
Just a little tease:

ms_segment_suggest.jpg