Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd, did not show up on the list of apps needing updating but there was an update button in the App Store when I searched for it specifically.
Did you do the old 'pull down from the top' in your list? I find many apps don't show automatically with an update but when I refresh it that way, many show up. I have no idea what the auto-refresh interval is for the iOS App Store (I assume we're taking about.... :) ).

Reactions: bmah
Did you do the old 'pull down from the top' in your list? I find many apps don't show automatically with an update but when I refresh it that way, many show up. I have no idea what the auto-refresh interval is for the iOS App Store (I assume we're taking about.... :) ).
Yes, pulling down to refresh is a habit. Yes, iOS App Store; I use auto-updates for the iPad (few applications) but like to see what is happening on the iPhone (workhorse).

Here is the answer for the teased graphic:

EVTO Multi-Segment Trips | Digital Auto Guides
Ah, got it. Thanks.

I did look at the on-line docs on my phone, but figured it was too small and market action was too hectic and gave up. Much better on a big screen. :)

I did hit the bed icon, but the trip I had open was too short. Now I understand why.

When I first saw the tease, I thought the concentric circles were indicative of a day trip, either out and back or one way only, from a charging stop, kind of like the circle one can toggle on in the superchafger.info site when given a range. Thought that would be difficult though given it wouldn't be able to take into consideration any given route and elevation changes.

This will come in handy after my wife retires and we can finally do some multi state trips. Can't wait.

Thanks for a great addition to the Tesla experience!

When I first saw the tease, I thought the concentric circles were indicative of a day trip, either out and back or one way only, from a charging stop, kind of like the circle one can toggle on in the superchafger.info site when given a range
It's sort of like that, but based on your daily endurance value (hours). There is a corresponding waypoint to waypoint time in My Cars that is used during the Refresh Auto Chargers to only add chargers that are within your waypoint to waypoint travel time.
Thought that would be difficult though given it wouldn't be able to take into consideration any given route and elevation changes.
It is difficult and I will admit some parts are a bit of a swag. It does take into account all consumption variables but has to guess how much charging you might need for a given route. That is where it can get a bit weird. It is more accurate when there waypoints already added to the trip than just a origin and destination, but even in that case it seems to work well enough to give you an idea of where you should call it for the night.

We will have to see how it works over time and based on feedback I will refine it if needed over time.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
A recent forced update by Google has caused a problem with EVTO if you go back to the main panel and return to the map in iOS, not Android (naturally). Next time you open a dialog to edit it will jump back to the main panel. I have an issue open with Google but I am not holding my breath it will be fixed timely or at all. It's going to take some time to see if I can hack what they screwed up.

In the meantime if this happens to you just close EVTO and then reopen it. All should be OK until you go back the main panel again. :(

I had to temporarily turn off the destination chargers in EVTO because of a server problem not returning the charger updates.

I am working on the issue but nothing is coming together yet.

Next up is trying to solve a serious Google Maps issue that results in the app returning to the main panel when you open a dialog. Google has been looking at it for months but I fear they will throw in the towel at the end of the month and not let me use the version that actually works since it's out of support.:(

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F and boaterva
I found a fix for the destination chargers and it is out for beta testing now. Hopefully 3.7 will pass muster and be released this week. This also fixed a bug when importing huge trips (which I doubt anyone but me and one other person experienced).

Now onto the Google maps issue for iOS users that causes the app to automatically jump back to the main panel when you open a dialog after visiting the main panel. Google had allowed me an extension of the older maps API version while they were investigating the issue but today they have turned it off. :(

I am pursuing my own hack for this issue but so far all roads have been a dead end. More work going on by me today and Google is still investigating it too.

So for iOS users that experience this issue, just close the app and restart it and it will be good again until you go back to the main panel or go to Segment Details (ie leave the map screen).

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
What was the fix?
There was no fix but I do now have a hack. Google discovered a bug that was reported to Apple a number of months ago. They are uncertain why their code exposed the bug but now I know what it is and can hack around it. They are still pursuing a possible fix on their end but in the meantime I have a work around that the user will not see.

I just sent a beta release out and if it passes muster I will then update the production version next week with this fix and a slew of updates for other features.

Reactions: Gwgan
Version 4.0 was just released in the stores. Here are the salient features:
  • Updated color scheme
  • Improved dialogs
  • Updated car features
  • Refined energy calculations
  • New charger selection algorithm
  • New charger types
  • Bug fixes
  • Improved performance
As usual if you find a bug or an issue, please use the Feedback Report item on the main menu. If it's trip related, then select Attach Active trip and I can work through any issues.

Other than maintenance releases, this will probably be the last feature release until late Winter or early Spring. I am going to have to completely rewrite EVTO because the current platform it's built on is a bit long in the tooth and no longer mainstream. This causes support issues and much more working on debugging core framework issues then I want to spend on. Plus the UI could use a bit of modernization and it may also relieve a few bugs that occasionally pop up.

And if you have any ideas for features you would like to see considered for V5.0 and beyond, send me a Feedback Report comment.

upload_2018-10-8_11-43-4.png

I am experiencing some issues with EVTO an finding places when creating new trips or trying to change an existing waypoint location.

The issue is with Google and a ticket is open. Somehow a buffer is getting filled up during the day and does not clear out until EOD PST. Hope to get this resolved this week.

BTW iOS users may have noticed the waypoint icons no longer have a label like S in them. Another Google bug that was causing crashes during zooming for some users. Removing the labels solved the memory leak Google is having. They probably won't return until next spring based on Google dev cycle.