Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You then have three options:
  • The quickest, but least accurate is just to do one trip from Las Vegas to Zion and add Hoover Dam as a waypoint. This doesn't work. When I try to add a waypoint it just flashes the screen and shows the "New Trip" screen and changes the whole trip. A one way trip. You could make another trip From Zion back to Las Vegas.
  • The other way, assuming you are returning to Las Vegas is to do a continuation trip. Do the same as above, but then continue your trip from Zion back to Las Vegas on another segment. That way the weather will be set for a different day. Also this would be best if you actually end up going to more places than just Zion. Again doesn't work as described above.
  • You could do an out and back trip from Las Vegas to Zion and add Hoover Dam on the outbound segment. I don't want to go back to Las Vegas after Zion. Is there another way?
Trip Optimizer Tutorial | Digital Auto Guides

Please see my notes above in PURPLE.

First I want to say I love this app and I love what you are doing. I may be reporting issues, but this is only to help make this great app better.

I find that the continuation feature is really buggy. Sometimes when I plan a new trip the continuation feature isn't available. Also, when I try to optimize the new leg of a continuation trip the route doesn't optimize the last leg, but rather only optimizes the first leg. The last leg is there but in grey.

First I want to say I love this app and I love what you are doing. I may be reporting issues, but this is only to help make this great app better.

I find that the continuation feature is really buggy. Sometimes when I plan a new trip the continuation feature isn't available. Also, when I try to optimize the new leg of a continuation trip the route doesn't optimize the last leg, but rather only optimizes the first leg. The last leg is there but in grey.
Understand. Right Now You Have OPTIMIZE Each Segment IN Order.

Use little map icon to move between segments or touch gray route.

I want to provided you with an update on EVTO:
  • Currently over 500 installs have been made in North America - Thank you
  • There is a major update at Apple waiting on approval for UI and bug issues - hopefully early this week
  • Europe and AP are undergoing some testing - there was some data for superchargers in those regions that needed scrubbing and we are still finding some minor issues. Hopefully that will end soon and allow us to deploy to those regions
  • A few users are experiencing some random crashes on iOS. I have the logs and am looking for the reasons but nothing identifiable yet.
  • A major issue is with the Pro version not allocating enough energy on out and back trips before the first destination - you can usually fix this by bumping up the required arrival SOC so the departure has enough energy to get to the next charger on the return segment
  • I am working on a way to just optimize once for all segments of out and back and other continuation trips in the Pro version. This might take a few weeks but I am hopeful that a solution is at hand. This should also fix the departure SOC problem so the fix might solve both issues

Version 1.1.2 has just been released to the App Store and Google Play.
  • Increased accuracy
  • Improvements to User Interface
  • Bug Fixes
Up next (hopefully late next week) will be Version 1.1.3 which is targeted to include:
  • Significant User Interface updates
  • Some simplification of the application
  • Improved Help
  • Improved Multi-segment Trip capabilities
  • A surprise new feature for the Pro version.

Version 1.1.2 has just been released to the App Store and Google Play.
  • Increased accuracy
  • Improvements to User Interface
  • Bug Fixes
Up next (hopefully late next week) will be Version 1.1.3 which is targeted to include:
  • Significant User Interface updates
  • Some simplification of the application
  • Improved Help
  • Improved Multi-segment Trip capabilities
  • A surprise new feature for the Pro version.
Unfortunately, neither SOC nor Consumption work now.

Just took a Sunday drive on mostly hilly rural roads with a brief charge in the middle. I used manual waypoints to direct the route along the intended scenic path. Predicted consumption of every leg was within a couple percent and the trip as a whole also ended within a couple percent of predicted. There was a mix of over and under speed limit, AP1, manual driving, HVAC on/off, and construction. I was able to use the calendar export to show Tesla navigation directions and energy consumption leg by leg, it is an ok workaround for not having waypoints on the in-car system. Confidence builder run on well known roads. Next trip will be into unknown territory.

I am confused about setting desired SOC. Tutorial says in the waypoint edit panel "You can adjust the Minimum SOC by moving the slider to the value you would like to have when you leave this waypoint." but in the app it says "Minimum Arrival SOC (%)".
Using a two-leg trip with a 2-day destination layover. No superchargers in range but some CHADEMO chargers.
After I arrive at my chargerless destination I will be able to run out to a charger for a bit the day before heading home and can also stop at a charger briefly just after getting underway. Along the return route there is a later stop where I must charge to 100%. How do I play around with departure SOC at the destination and at the first outbound charger? This impacts how much time I will spend charging to 100% (or as close as I can get on CHADEMO).

You have a couple of choices. If you are using the two leg (segmented trip), the easiest thing to do is to go to Edit Details on the 2nd leg and push the starting charge up as high as you want.

If you really want to be exact about it you can add a waypoint on the 2nd leg just after your destination/origin pair and charge there. That would let you account for the charging time.

The app should figure out how long you need to charge there to get to your final destination if you optimize. Optimize the first leg and then optimize the second leg. Hopefully V1.1.4 will only have you optimize one time if everything goes as planned. Right now you have to do them in order because they transfer the SOC over to the next leg(s).

You have a couple of choices. If you are using the two leg (segmented trip), the easiest thing to do is to go to Edit Details on the 2nd leg and push the starting charge up as high as you want.
I am using a two leg trip but do not see an option to set the starting charge in the second segment Edit Details screen.

If you really want to be exact about it you can add a waypoint on the 2nd leg just after your destination/origin pair and charge there. That would let you account for the charging time.

This makes sense since I can stop on the way out of town and charge for a while but the setting is for the minimum arrival SOC, not the desired departure SOC, if I set it to 80% optimization makes it 100% which is too much—I only want to slow-Ish charge to 100% once and must do that at the next stop.

The app should figure out how long you need to charge there to get to your final destination if you optimize. Optimize the first leg and then optimize the second leg. Hopefully V1.1.4 will only have you optimize one time if everything goes as planned. Right now you have to do them in order because they transfer the SOC over to the next leg(s).

Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it seems to me that the arrival SOC (above minimum) is the unknown and what I want to set is the departure SOC .

Heading out tomorrow into the charging desert that is northwestern Maine. Not only are there no chargers along the way but there is no cell signal either. It would be nice if EVTO could save maps for a specific trip to the iDevice on request so even if there are no live updates to the predictions at least there is a reference to the plan.