Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
The EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla is an application created to help you optimize your long-range travel with the Tesla Model S, Model X and Model 3 cars. The application helps you plan your trip by cataloging your starting and destination points, as well as any required stops (waypoints) you identify along the way. The application is available for both Apple and Android mobile devices and is free.

The application takes into account your car's characteristics such as model, battery, charger, wheels, motors and tires along with your driving style. During planning the application collects en-route weather, determines elevation gains/losses, uses wind speeds, temperatures, speed, charging capabilities and your state of charges to help you discover the optimal trip with the least amount of total time expended.

You can save your trips* to be used over and over again, compare trips to each other using a variety of provided charts and graphs.

Standard (Free) Features Include:

• Optimized routing based on time
• Map based planning
• Automatic charger allocation and charging times
• Add stopover and charging waypoints of your own
• List of Tesla Superchargers to pick from
• Automatic weather forecasts for route
• Weather energy calculation (temperature, wind, road conditions and precipitation)
• Dual cabin conditioning (Model X)
• Rolling resistance energy losses
• Elevation energy gains and losses
• Supports Model S, X and 3
• All battery types and degradation
• All car features and options
• Support for both phones and tablets
• Utilize waypoint favorites for quick planning
• Charger Dislikes list for Superchargers to avoid when possible
• Supercharger amenity icons
• Manage trips (store, delete)
• Simple one press reset trip time, calculate and go
• Rate trips
• Future trips and delayed start times
• Imperial and metric units
• Automatic location detection (can be turned off) for trip origin
• Help on each panel and feature
• Graph energy (SOC) for the trip by distance
• Chart average energy consumption details by leg
• User adjustable power factor for different energy consumption models
• User tailorable start of trip SOC
• Adjust the reserve (minimum destination arrival) SOC
• User tailorable payload (weight of passengers and cargo)
• List the trip waypoints and move the map to each location
• Review the entire trip through a detailed planning briefing
• See and use non-Tesla chargers en-route (USA Only)
• Create custom charging waypoints
• Share trips with other EVTO 4 Tesla users

* Planning more than one trip at a time requires a small yearly subscription fee. There is a 30 day free trial for this feature.

Currently the Pro features include:

• Additional optimization by minimum distance, energy or stops - TBA
• Minimum waypoint stop times
• Adjust minimum SOC by waypoint
• Return to last charger feature
• Reserve energy at destination for local travel
• Multiple car support (up to 5)
• Automatically integrate the trips into your calendar and navigation
• Compare trips with charts and tables
• Create master trips spanning multiple days/routes (trip segments).
• Create Out and Back trips
• Export trip details for use in other programs (CSV)
• e-Mail trip itinerary
• Manage trips (store, delete, archive, restore, copy and reverse route)

Information on how to acquire the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla can be found at:
tesla_to | Digital Auto Guides

A detailed tutorial can be seen at:
Trip Optimizer Tutorial | Digital Auto Guides

A set of FAQs can be found at:
EVTO for Tesla – Frequently Asked Questions | Digital Auto Guides

Chris Couper

main_panel.jpg

auto_chargers_require.jpg

auto_chargers_start.jpg

trip_summary.jpg

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

It's not clear from your notes if it has the ability to set a departure time/date. I assume it can, since you seem to have thought of everything else! This would be important for weather data adjustment.

Also I hope you have better performance data for the software-limited battery cars than other trip planners. I have to use another car description in EVTP -- the MS60D data is just disastrously wrong there.

Looks good! Found where to say what Tesla I have but I feel that should be done initially when setting up the app. Also could default options when you select certain ones - i.e. model X = only dual motor, etc

Would be cool if we could see a weather/wind/elevation summary for each segment

It's not clear from your notes if it has the ability to set a departure time/date.
Yes. And the little clock on the front does this with one button. Resets date/time to current, fetches new weather forecasts and recalculates the entire route.
Also I hope you have better performance data for the software-limited battery cars than other trip planners.
Both fixed and sw defined batteries are supported. Still a bit of work in progress. Uses different calculations for distance and charging times.

Yeah, needs some work. Within 5 minutes, it forced my Android phone to reboot. I have NEVER had an app do that before.
Not cool. If you could share the trip (main menu, current trips, share) with me that caused this ([email protected]) I will try it on my Galaxy phone. Please include the details of your car and where you were in the app when the crash happened. Also if it happens the same when you restart or if it was unique.

Never had it crash on my Android nor from my beta users. Anything is possible though.

Last edited:
Also could default options when you select certain ones - i.e. model X = only dual motor, etc
Good suggestion on default values when you change the car type. I will add it to the list.
Would be cool if we could see a weather/wind/elevation summary for each segment
You can see this on both the individual waypoint pushpin popup and also from the Trip Details under the menu.

Thanks for making this. So far trip predictions look good. Manually moving the trip path would be nice, but is that even available to mobile google maps? Pleased to see some non-Tesla chargers showing up along a dicey route but then did not find a particular chademo location. How is that integrated?

Not cool. If you could share the trip (main menu, current trips, share) with me that caused this ([email protected]) I will try it on my Galaxy phone. Please include the details of your car and where you were in the app when the crash happened. Also if it happens the same when you restart or if it was unique.

Never had it crash on my Android nor from my beta users. Anything is possible though.

I'll send the conditions, as best I remember them. I just jumped in and started using it without knowing how to set up the car selections. Maybe the beta testers did something silly like follow directions... :rolleyes:

After using for a time, I really like it. There are a few rough points, but those are minor. The trip summary is pretty unreadable on a small screen. Everything is truncated and no real information is displayed.

Also, I can't find a way to do relative speed adjustments. I saw one place in the FAQ where Power settings were mentioned to allow for trailer towing. but I did not see any settings like that where it said to look. I saw nothing in the Help.

Last edited:
My first thought is that it needs waypoints.
You can add all the waypoints you need. Either press on the map or use the Add Waypoint menu item. They can be charging or non charging stops.

You can also change the waypoint order too from the Trip Summary menu item.
lack of ability to freely move a route (like on Google Maps)
This is something to consider but as soon as you Optimize, it will force a route on you based on charging needs. Google Maps is tuned for ICE cars without these types of restrictions.

Note you can also put a non charging waypoint along a desired route and then check the SOC chart to make sure your car can handle it. The pushpin colors will also give you a heads up immediately if your route will not work.

Reactions: gowthamn
Pleased to see some non-Tesla chargers showing up along a dicey route but then did not find a particular chademo location. How is that integrated?
I am using NREL for non Tesla chargers in the USA (other geos are TBD). Hold this thought until the V1.1 if you are on iOS. There was some sensitivity with regard to the route and finding alternative chargers that is fixed in V1.1. At Apple waiting for approval.

You can add all the waypoints you need. Either press on the map or use the Add Waypoint menu item. They can be charging or non charging stops.

You can also change the waypoint order too from the Trip Summary menu item.

This is something to consider but as soon as you Optimize, it will force a route on you based on charging needs. Google Maps is tuned for ICE cars without these types of restrictions.

Note you can also put a non charging waypoint along a desired route and then check the SOC chart to make sure your car can handle it. The pushpin colors will also give you a heads up immediately if your route will not work.

oh I see now thank you. Looks pretty interesting actually, let me do more testing with it and get back to you. Do you get the option to tweak charging times, in case you would prefer more charge at a supercharger than the app offers?

This is something to consider but as soon as you Optimize, it will force a route on you based on charging needs.
I should mention this is why there is both Calculate and Optimize menu items. If you want the app to drive the charger choices use the Optimize menu item. If you want to drive, just add/change waypoints. The calculate function is actually done in both cases automatically. The only reason for using the Calculate button is if you want to refresh the weather data or you made changes to your cars settings.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200