Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyance with the J1772 adapter getting locked in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
When I unplug a public J1772 charging station plug from the adapter, unless I immediately pull the adapter out (within a couple of seconds?!), the adapter gets locked in. This is as desired, of course, so that someone doesn't make off with the adapter.

One annoyance is that the adapter stays locked in even if the car itself has already been unlocked. This should be fixed, I suppose.

But, at that point, on most occasions, the charging popup on the touchscreen says "OPEN CHARGE PORT" rather than "UNLOCK CHARGE PORT"! And, pressing that doesn't do anything!

The mobile app - if I can use it at that time - says the same thing usually but, I may have seen UNLOCK instead of OPEN on the mobile app in some of these instances. What gives?!

When all this happens, the only way to get the adapter out is to bring the station's charging plug back, plug it in, unplug and pull the adapter out quickly after. Annoying, to say the least.

Are any others seeing this? I'm on 4.5 (.61).

When you push the button on the J1772, don't pull the handle out of the adapter. Grab the adapter with the other hand and pull BOTH of them out of the car. Then pull the adapter off the J1772 paddle. This works 100% of the time... anything else just causes frustration.

When you push the button on the J1772, don't pull the handle out of the adapter. Grab the adapter with the other hand and pull BOTH of them out of the car. Then pull the adapter off the J1772 paddle. This works 100% of the time... anything else just causes frustration.

+1 Doug, I've been doing it that way for a long time now, especially since I built my own 75A J-1772 OpenEVSE, and I bought a spare J-1772 to Model S adapter I keep on the setup...

I've got into the habit of using the "Charge Port" button under the controls UI, which unlocks the port and let me pull out the entire adapter assembly. Then I'll just pull the adapter off the plug.

Pulling both out with the handle button pressed would be quicker, though. Or, at least, it wouldn't require getting into the car to push buttons on the dash first. Might give that a whirl.

strange, ive never had to push the button to release the charge port...

after the car has been charged i do the following and it always releases...

1) right hand holds the J1772 with thumb on release button
2) left hand holds the J1772 adapter
3) thumb presses the J1772 release button
4) you should hear a loud "Click" from the car releasing the solenoid
5) simultaneously pull the Adapter and J1772 gun out at the same time
6) remove adapter from J1772 gun.

its less complicated than it sounds. i should post a video the next time im by a charger

And if you've ever wondered what the inside of the J1772 adapter looks like, here you go. The other day I went to unplug the adapter from the car and the locking pin was still engaged. It separated in the middle. It looks like I could just glue it back together but Tesla service said they didn't want me to do that and to just stop by the service center for a replacement (which I'm going to do today).

J1772.jpg