TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Annoyed by steering mode deletion in P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by zmansbr, Jan 11, 2015.

1. zmansbr

zmansbr Member

I haven't seen many specific posts on this other than some casual mentions.

Why did Tesla decide to remove the steering mode setting? I love my P85D. My only gripe with it is the lack of steering sensitivity setting like I had in my P85+. The fixed setting on the D is somewhere between normal and sport on my former P85D. Its just too light and soft. Don't get me wrong - its not a handling problem - its just a personal preference. There is something about that harder force that I'm used to on my former cars that I liked about the Sport setting.

Was there some functional reason for deleting this? I asked the sales person at my dealer and they simply didn't know - something about the steering sensitivity adjusting based on speed so you don't have to adjust it. Hooey. Of course sensitivity should adjust with speed regardless of the setting. That doesn't mean there can't be different settings.

Tesla, please bring back the steering mode setting!

2. andydoty

andydoty Member

This may have something to do with the autopilot functionality. Specifically the motor that operates the steering wheel while autopilot is engaged. It would be interesting to know if the steering systems where changed between the P/S series the D series.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

They were. On my test drive I noted the difference when reversing into a park space and was told there's an additional servo (I know that's not quite the right term but you get the point).

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

I wonder if this change is related to the "D" or the AutoPilot aspect? An "additional servo" could be related to AutoPilot.

5. Vger

Vger Active Member

This was my first guess based on the reports here. Here is the disambiguating question: There are a bunch of non-D's out there now with the autopilot hardware. Do they lose the setting also, or only the D's? If it is only the D's, maybe it has more to do with the interaction of front-wheel drive (torque steer) with the electrically-operated steering.

6. MY T

MY T Member

I have a P85+ with autopilot function and have steering wheel options so it's probably not avalible on the D for another reason.

7. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

as long as they don't fix it to "sport" Im happy. "comfort" is more my style.
    if they change this, they need to make it so users can select there prefrences like before.

8. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Steering modes are back on P85D vehicles as of v6.1 (2.2.113) as seen in this thread:
    New software update past 6.1 - Page 2

Figured I'd post this hear so that people finding this thread will realize this has been resolved.

9. ExhilR8

ExhilR8 Member

I just tried the new "sport" steering setting on the P85D an I love it. Coming from the world of sports cars and race cars, the high resistance feels more like direct steering, and the very tight turning ratio makes it possible to do 90 degree corners without moving either hand on the wheel. Much better for my tastes.