Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyed by ticking/clunk/rattling noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,
I have been enjoying my model 3 alot until I encountered the noise/rattling issue from rear. It happened when driving over not so well polished road (ticking noise) and when turning left into steep driveway (clunk).
Tesla SC was helpful diagnosing and resolving these issues, altho I haven't fully validated the fix yet. I can update you guys if requested.
Ticking noise seems related to torque applied at rear suspensions which SC said they checked/re-torqued.
Clunk noise seems related to suspension cover touching suspension aero guard, resolved by adjusting aero guard within the tolerance.
Quick advice - video record the symptoms, it helps both parties when explaining/replicating the reported issues.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
Guys,
I have been enjoying my model 3 alot until I encountered the noise/rattling issue from rear. It happened when driving over not so well polished road (ticking noise) and when turning left into steep driveway (clunk).
Tesla SC was helpful diagnosing and resolving these issues, altho I haven't fully validated the fix yet. I can update you guys if requested.
Ticking noise seems related to torque applied at rear suspensions which SC said they checked/re-torqued.
Clunk noise seems related to suspension cover touching suspension aero guard, resolved by adjusting aero guard within the tolerance.
Quick advice - video record the symptoms, it helps both parties when explaining/replicating the reported issues.
So, did you follow your own advice and record the video of the problem? If so, upload it, and share the link.
Words really don't do a good job of describing sounds. And if the SC fixed the issues, then you are all set!

The tick on acceleration/turning is caused by lack of lubrication on the splines of the driveshafts going into the wheel hubs.
You can fix it yourself in about 30 minutes. Happened to me, did my research on the cause and found a vid on YT on how to fix it.

Reactions: Evoforce
I had the exact same issue and I found the source!!!! Here's what it was on my '21 M3 SR+

There is an adjustment screw on the hinge mechanism for the trunk that makes contact with the hinge itself. I noticed a small amount of paint worn away. I placed a small piece of medical tape over the adjustment screw, and viola! Sound is gone. I will be making a service request for a permanent fix, but at least I no longer have that annoying click/tick sound. It was driving me NUTS!!! See pics for reference and please excuse the dirt ... I was in between washes.

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: .Slug and yhc21
I had the exact same issue and I found the source!!!! Here's what it was on my '21 M3 SR+

There is an adjustment screw on the hinge mechanism for the trunk that makes contact with the hinge itself. I noticed a small amount of paint worn away. I placed a small piece of medical tape over the adjustment screw, and viola! Sound is gone. I will be making a service request for a permanent fix, but at least I no longer have that annoying click/tick sound. It was driving me NUTS!!! See pics for reference and please excuse the dirt ... I was in between washes.
Wow that's impressive, how did you come up with that diagnosis and decide to put a tape over it? I'll also take a look at those hinges myself, altho the noises are gone after the servicing. When you send the car to SC, get them inspect and resolve all possible issues that may exist, like what they did for me with suspension torque and aero guard etc.

Wow that's impressive, how did you come up with that diagnosis and decide to put a tape over it? I'll also take a look at those hinges myself, altho the noises are gone after the servicing. When you send the car to SC, get them inspect and resolve all possible issues that may exist, like what they did for me with suspension torque and aero guard etc.
Before I took delivery of my M3, I was doing a ton of reading up on it and had read someone's story about this exact issue and how they "fixed" it with tape. I had forgotten all about it, and when my "ticking" had started and I was trying to track it down, I suddenly remembered. Sure enough... it was my issue as well.

Reactions: yhc21

I just signed up to say thank you very much, I've had this exact issue for the last month and couldn't work out what it was. Had my head in the boot with the seats down while my wife drove on a closed road, and all sorts of other wonderful whacky things to try and work this out. I knew it sounded metallic! Soon as I opened the boot and saw it matched your photo ;; boom! Threw a little tape on for now and it's nice and quiet again. Appreciate it.