Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyed that app/car seem to treat Friday evening as the "weekend" even though my power company does not.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my Model Y end of June. Signed up for a Time Of Use plan with my power company, and just recently it started. Not sure what the app has in the past, but I noticed that it seems to indicate it can charge during "Off-Peak" hours, either "All week" or "Weekdays".

My peak price time is 3-6pm Monday through Friday, and all weekend is off-peak or super-off-peak. So, it looks like when I tell it the end of the off peak is 4:30 am (super-off-peak ends at 5am), it appears that it will start charging at 11pm or maybe 1am, depending on how much energy it needs.

All week, it has been waiting until late, just as expected, but today, Friday, it decided to start charging as soon as I got home and plugged it in, around 5:10pm. I can only conclude it must think that Friday evening is part of the weekend. So I just paid for about 50 minutes of charging (I think something like ~18kWh) at the peak rate.

Humans (Americans at least) might indeed largely treat Friday evening as the beginning of the weekend, but the power company does not. What's up?

So I got my Model Y end of June. Signed up for a Time Of Use plan with my power company, and just recently it started. Not sure what the app has in the past, but I noticed that it seems to indicate it can charge during "Off-Peak" hours, either "All week" or "Weekdays".

My peak price time is 3-6pm Monday through Friday, and all weekend is off-peak or super-off-peak. So, it looks like when I tell it the end of the off peak is 4:30 am (super-off-peak ends at 5am), it appears that it will start charging at 11pm or maybe 1am, depending on how much energy it needs.

All week, it has been waiting until late, just as expected, but today, Friday, it decided to start charging as soon as I got home and plugged it in, around 5:10pm. I can only conclude it must think that Friday evening is part of the weekend. So I just paid for about 50 minutes of charging (I think something like ~18kWh) at the peak rate.

Humans (Americans at least) might indeed largely treat Friday evening as the beginning of the weekend, but the power company does not. What's up?
Agreed! Tesla needs to give us custom time for off-peak. Let us input from what time to what time each day of the week.

Reactions: sleepydoc
What time does off peak start for you in the evenings and how big is the difference between off peak and 'super off peak?' You're not the only one to want more granular control over charging. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't have it right now. I think they probably just tried to keep it more simple but that means less control. For now, the easiest solution might be to wait to plug the car in.

Have you checked with your power company to see if they have any EV charging programs? My electric CoOp has an off peak program that uses a clipper creek charger connected to the WiFi. When they commissioned it they set it up so it only allows charging between 11 PM and 7 AM. In return I get a significant break on my charging rates. It's also more convenient because I can plug the charger in whenever I want and the car will start charging when the charger kicks on at 11:00.

What time does off peak start for you in the evenings and how big is the difference between off peak and 'super off peak?' You're not the only one to want more granular control over charging. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't have it right now. I think they probably just tried to keep it more simple but that means less control. For now, the easiest solution might be to wait to plug the car in.

Have you checked with your power company to see if they have any EV charging programs? My electric CoOp has an off peak program that uses a clipper creek charger connected to the WiFi. When they commissioned it they set it up so it only allows charging between 11 PM and 7 AM. In return I get a significant break on my charging rates. It's also more convenient because I can plug the charger in whenever I want and the car will start charging when the charger kicks on at 11:00.
Super off peak is 9¢, off peak 11¢, on peak 31¢ I think

Granularity might be nice, but Friday is not a weekend, according to any power company that I know of, so in the screen that deal with charging during off peak times, the weekday schedule should be used on weekdays. That's the annoyance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for future, I think if I select "All week" it will be fine, I'll just be slightly more likely to have to manually start charging on Saturday and Sunday, if I want to charge during the day

Super off peak is 9¢, off peak 11¢, on peak 31¢ I think

Granularity might be nice, but Friday is not a weekend, according to any power company that I know of, so in the screen that deal with charging during off peak times, the weekday schedule should be used on weekdays. That's the annoyance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for future, I think if I select "All week" it will be fine, I'll just be slightly more likely to have to manually start charging on Saturday and Sunday, if I want to charge during the day
Off peak starts at 6pm, super off peak at midnight

I find this annoying as well. To workaround the issue, I just set it for off peak charging all days. If I need to charge right away on the weekend, I just click -"start charging" in the app after plugging in. It'd be nice if they'd fix this.

Yeah - I tried that and it seemed to work one week, but then it seemed to start charging one time just recently, so I just pulled the plug because I was busy and didn't want to fiddle with it. Then, I ended up with it not charging one night because of that... MIGHT have been due to the departure time thing, but again, I was busy and didn't want to fiddle with it

I've settled on the simpler "just charge starting at midnight" thing - scheduled?

Sigh...

This is so ridiculous!
I am very surprised that there aren’t hundreds complaining about this. I contacted Tesla service several times and they seem surprised as well, calling it a bug.
My electric company has a very simple schedule for on/off peak: every evening after 7pm, and all day on weekends.
Seems like it should work flawlessly with the Tesla system APART FROM FRIDAYS. For some reason, that is impossible for me to understand, the “weekend” at Tesla starts sometime during the early hours of Friday 🤷🏽🤷🏽🤷🏽
Maybe is a subtle hidden push for a 4-day work week……

Reactions: rwojo
I use Schedule Departure. 5:45AM. It has never started charging before 11:00PM. This is 7 days a week so no issues. Usually 20to 30% each night. About 16 to 32 kWh a night. 48 amp charging.
The only time it charged during the early evening was after an update last year.

From Tesla, Think of Scheduled Charging as "When do I want charging to start?" compared to Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging which is "When do I want charging to be complete?"

Scheduled Charging can be used together with Scheduled Departure Preconditioning but not with Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging.

Scheduled Charging/Scheduled Departuresettings are automatically saved for each location.

This is so ridiculous!
I am very surprised that there aren’t hundreds complaining about this. I contacted Tesla service several times and they seem surprised as well, calling it a bug.
My electric company has a very simple schedule for on/off peak: every evening after 7pm, and all day on weekends.
Seems like it should work flawlessly with the Tesla system APART FROM FRIDAYS. For some reason, that is impossible for me to understand, the “weekend” at Tesla starts sometime during the early hours of Friday 🤷🏽🤷🏽🤷🏽
Maybe is a subtle hidden push for a 4-day work week……
Yes ! I wish the scheduling was a bit more useful. Let me schedule for week days, and weekends separately. I can push a button on my watch, and have my car fart - but the scheduler tool is something from the 1980s.

I use Schedule Departure. 5:45AM. It has never started charging before 11:00PM. This is 7 days a week so no issues. Usually 20to 30% each night. About 16 to 32 kWh a night. 48 amp charging.
The only time it charged during the early evening was after an update last year.

From Tesla, Think of Scheduled Charging as "When do I want charging to start?" compared to Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging which is "When do I want charging to be complete?"

Scheduled Charging can be used together with Scheduled Departure Preconditioning but not with Scheduled Departure Off-Peak Charging.

Scheduled Charging/Scheduled Departuresettings are automatically saved for each location.
That’s not the problem.

Yes ! I wish the scheduling was a bit more useful. Let me schedule for week days, and weekends separately. I can push a button on my watch, and have my car fart - but the scheduler tool is something from the 1980s.
What is the most ridiculous and frustrating thing to me is that if there wasn’t the option at all, I could even understand it better….but placing a switch that allows you to do “Off-peak charge only during weekdays!!!” Oh and we also let you tell us when it’s on-peak and off-peak!! Oh yeah just…we consider Friday a weekend day. So yeah, on Friday your car will start charging as soon as you plug it in. During the other 4 week-days though, we know exactly what you want, don’t worry. Just, you know, Friday. It’s the weekend. 😳 😳 😳 😳

What is the most ridiculous and frustrating thing to me is that if there wasn’t the option at all, I could even understand it better….but placing a switch that allows you to do “Off-peak charge only during weekdays!!!” Oh and we also let you tell us when it’s on-peak and off-peak!! Oh yeah just…we consider Friday a weekend day. So yeah, on Friday your car will start charging as soon as you plug it in. During the other 4 week-days though, we know exactly what you want, don’t worry. Just, you know, Friday. It’s the weekend. 😳 😳 😳 😳
This make absolutely no sense. Especially now the app has the ability to precisely set the rate plans for charging. Why can't it just use that information to schedule the charge on weekdays and weekends?