Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying article on "Weight Problems" with EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read this article in CNET and was frustrated at the either unintentional blind spot or the overt mischaracterization of EVs as causing a variety of issues because they are heavy...While a Model 3 may be about 3,500 pounds, it is the SUVs and pickups that are vastly heavier (4,000-5,700 pounds), and far surpass sedans in volume, which are causing the majority of issues on the roads in the US. To call out EVs for this problem seems way off target.

I saw that article and had exactly the same reaction! There is some truth to the EV weight problem, but that blanket characterization is extremely wrong.

If CNET wants to be progressive about this, how about pushing for taxing vehicles based on their weight? Doesn't matter if EV or not. I believe some countries or jurisdictions already do this (outside the USA). And let's ditch the stupid idea of giving trucks and SUVs bigger EV subsidies than sedans/hatches/wagons (was in the last House version of the BBB bill). That's just asinine.

The Model 3 is a great example of keeping weight down on a long-range (i.e. large-ish battery) EV. It's essentially the same weight as comparable ICE cars! And from what I've seen all Teslas are on the lightweight side vs other similarly-sized long range EVs.