Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying CNN article...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheap shot to compare a vehicle that exists and has hundreds of thousands of owners to a potential system...coming out "soon" and nobody has independently evaluated.

Mostly just a press release that writers have picked up to produce some headline grabbing easy articles.

It doesn't matter. Have you read a Tesla Owner's evaluation of the autosteering in the other EVs from Audi, Porsche, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, Jaguar?

I'd post about it, but it would just be a flamewar. Most the people here would naturally assume I've never driven a Tesla or the other makes unless I report the AP system is flawless and all the other autosteering systems are 100% bad.

Is there such a thing as an "untrue fact"? If it's untrue, then it's not a fact, right?

75095980.jpg

Reactions: Andy_STL
Hi, I love CNN...don't get me wrong.... but they just posted an article about the Ford MACH E and it's new autopilot coming next year...

Welcome to Gell-Mann Amnesia.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.
– Michael Crichton (1942-2008)

Gell-Mann Amnesia | Epsilon Theory

Holy crap, really? I almost spun my Model 3 into a pole first time I overrode autopilot when it was new. I disabled lane departure assistance with the same reason, the "nudge" was far stronger than other system from Toyota that I tried. It tried steering me into a bicyclist one too many times.

Not requiring the driver to touch the wheel is an obvious advantage of a system like this, which can set a lower threshold for disengagement because we don't need to have our hands hanging on the wheel. Why exactly is this article annoying? Someone dared say something unflattering about our beloved Tesla?

You must've missed this one:
Toggling up on the drive selector also disables AP

Well, there's PBS, and if you get it, there's CBC. At least CBC is prohibited by Law from spouting false narrative, unlike US networks.

APNews is pretty centrist. Most of their stories are picked up by other news outlets and republished, so they don't have too much of a direct audience that they have to placate.

Also, if you use Chrome, there is a plug-in that I use called the Media Bias Fact Check, which will tell you immediately whether the site you're currently browsing has a left / right / center slant. It's extraordinarily useful when you follow a link in a forum to a site that you don't normally visit, so you can see what you might be subjecting yourself to. Not all sites are rated, but the major ones are.

Don't worry about it, ford needs to sell cars too :) Let the customers decide what they like. Maybe some other manufacturers will get better than Tesla so we don't have to deal with terrible quality control anymore when we buy our next cars. Can't stay on top forever right?

The only way 'news' has a serious effect on EVs is when the ultra left hammers Elon Musk and demand nobody buy Teslas.
Like when Elon was set to join the US industrial conference, or when he said the coronavirus isn't the worst thing that happened to planet earth.

Once Ford actually releases a working product to the market, there will be thousands of YouTube comparison videos that will highlight the pros and cons of each. Until then people can say that Ford is better that Tesla, but there is no side-by-side comparison data to base that claim on. At the end of the day, a lot of the pros and cons are going to be based on review bias and personal preference. If Ford's Auto Drive disengagement is slightly better than Tesla's but all other aspects are clearly worse, then would you still want to buy the Ford product? Probably not, based on one feature option being better. But until both products can be compared side-by-side all of this is just speculation and conjecture.

Even if this isn't a product one can buy today, it's not wrong to state that their design goals are different and use AutoPilot as a comparison. It's the driver assist suite you're most likely to know about without owning a vehicle with it after all.

AP (specifically autosteer) absolutely requires a bit of a tug to get out of. Yes, you can bump the stalk, tap the brake, etc. - the point is if you're trying to make a steering correction, the natural reaction is to... steer. Not bump a stalk. Great design comes from adapting to human intuition, not forcing new behaviours.

The article was entirely fair in my opinion. If Ford doesn't deliver we can all hop on them then. It's not like Elon delivers on everything he says in the timeline he expects, even on this very subject!