Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying noise at high speeds on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey! Hope everyone is doing well.
Here I am with another question, rather a mystery for me this time.
Skip to the QUESTION part if you are not interested in my little trip which I will mention shortly as I am very very happy with my car.
I feel like sharing. :)

I just had a 2750km trip by myself with my 2016 p90d Model S which I owned for couple of months now. It was a blast.
First from Eindhoven Netherlands to Linz Austria. Spent 2 weeks visiting the alps and then continued to Istanbul with a 1800km trip. 1 driver. No breaks except supercharging.
I did this route more than 10 times with BMW, chevrolet, volvo etc.. But it was never this easy, fun to drive and it was MUCH MUCH less tiring.
The feeling of power on the highway, safety of Autopilot, ahh it was a joy.
Autopilot also saved me and the car from a runaway deer on the highway in midnight, not once but twice!
I mean I saw both of them and I could break on time even if Autopilot didn't, but Autopilot saw them even before me and definitely the guy before me.
I am sure he was mad in the beginning but then he was impressed like me 😅

Ok, enough love, now the QUESTION:
When I bought my car, it had had an accident from front passenger side. I think he did hit a curb hard.
So I replaced the subframe, skid bar, a control arm, cleaned and powder coated the scratches here and there below the car and it was all good -in reasonable speeds-.
Now that I passed through roads with no speed limits, I wanted to push the car a bit. And I immediately realized a noise and vibration starts around 150km/h and increases with the speed. I was surprised because both alignment, and tire balancing were done before the trip.

So in Austria I visited a mechanic who said the culprit was the halfshaft. (halfshaft boot was torn from the previous accident but I repaired the boot and kept it). He said it was very slightly bent, which would cause the vibration and noise.
So after seeing the mechanic, I ordered a new halfshaft (triscan) and also threw in a wheel bearing (Meyle) just incase and got them replaced in Austria.
Once he removed it, he said bearing is also not good so I did good by ordering it. (not sure if he said that to make me feel better lol)
Speeds of 150-160 was ok after that but I couldn't test it faster in Austria.

On my way to Istanbul, I tried 200+ and there it was again. Especially very loud after 200km/h.
Please see the video and I am sorry for the music, that was stupid of me. But it is quite easy to hear after 200km/h of speed. And I didn't want to try it again after that video.
After the replacements, now it is more like noise rather than vibration.

Anybody has any clue what this noise could be caused by? I can't tell from which side it comes from due to all the wind noise. And it is not really noticeable on lower speeds.
Could it be that the left side bearing is also dead? Or left side halfshaft? (there is no accident damage on the left side)
Or could it be that I have crappy tires?
(they are 6 months old or so, Michelin Pilot sport 3, and wheels are brand new 19" ATS Superlight wheels.)

I will go to a mechanic to check the tire balance and aligning again just incase today. But I don't wanna throw in money replacing parts blindly.
And mechanics here very likely will take advantage of me since this car simply gets way too much attention here..

I appreciate your input and have a lovely Friday / Weekend!

Especially hearable after 00:20 seconds.
Video link: 20210527_195852.mp4

Edit:
- No noise on slow speeds
- No noise when you jack the car and turn the wheel by hand
- No noticable noise when driving around 100-120km/h
- No pulling to sides when driving
- No pulling to sides when breaking
- No noise while turning curves
- Very slight vibration on streering wheel on high speeds

Last edited:
Both wheel bearings and front right half shaft have been replaced. Trunk leveling rubbers are checked and re-leveled.
Issue is not fixed..
Tesla Eindhoven says they can't diagnose it as they are not allowed to drive that fast..
It's very loud but hard to hear on the video due to wind noise. Most noticable after 00:25.

After 180km/h, it's unbearably loud..

Honestly sounds like a wheel bearing. I’m replacing my right rear this weekend and in the research I’ve done your car could have a rear wheel bearing gone bad.

Thank you for the info, I thought so too in the beginning but I doubt it now :/
Wheel bearings are tested with finish balancer and they show no sign of vibration / noise.
There is also no play on the wheels when you try to wiggle them by force.

There is a similar noise coming on much slower speeds, starting right from 0km/h and very noticeable.
It sounds like the dreaded milling noise, but a bit quieter.
Mix of a milling and an electric whistling kind of noise which is much louder when the car is in Range Mode.

All in all it looks like the Drive Unit. Made an appointment in Italy / Milan service.
Hopefully they can diagnose and fix it for good.

Interesting thread, buying a used accident car is always kinda tricky.
Sounds like you've almost got it sorted out.

Years ago when I lived in France and drove a Golf GTI, I often made fun of the NL drivers in MB200D's. They liked to drive slow because it made the country seem bigger.
Ya could just drive slower and NL will seem bigger!
Sell the Model S and buy a used MB200D...hahaha!
I apologize in advance, for my bad joke!

Interesting thread, buying a used accident car is always kinda tricky.
Sounds like you've almost got it sorted out.

Years ago when I lived in France and drove a Golf GTI, I often made fun of the NL drivers in MB200D's. They liked to drive slow because it made the country seem bigger.
Ya could just drive slower and NL will seem bigger!
Sell the Model S and buy a used MB200D...hahaha!
I apologize in advance, for my bad joke!
Allllllmost.
Remaining issues:
- Sway bar creaking like an old mattress (bought a second hand one with just 3000 something kilometers on it, will be installed before drive unit change)
- Left rear door handle acting up, getting worse by the day
- A mysterious metal-to-metal hitting noise from left front wheel on bad roads
- A mysterious vibration between ONLY ~150 and 160km/h speeds

Hopefully these will be fixed in November and then I am golden..

Lol about driving slow, in NL, by law we can go max 100km/h during the day anyways.. 💩

Reactions: PointHope
Allllllmost.
Remaining issues:
- Sway bar creaking like an old mattress (bought a second hand one with just 3000 something kilometers on it, will be installed before drive unit change)
- Left rear door handle acting up, getting worse by the day
- A mysterious metal-to-metal hitting noise from left front wheel on bad roads
- A mysterious vibration between ONLY ~150 and 160km/h speeds

Hopefully these will be fixed in November and then I am golden..

Lol about driving slow, in NL, by law we can go max 100km/h during the day anyways.. 💩

Thanks to @Gtech:
Sway bar is replaced with a low mileage second hand part and old mattress noise is gone.
Left rear door handle is repaired
2 front control arms replaced with newer versions
Fixed the mysterious tire rub issue and steering box knocking.
These changes also fixed the vibration issue around 150-160km/h.
All credits to @Gtech.

AND wait for it..
After a fiasco in SeC Milan (I would never go back to them again) and several discussions between Milan and Eindhoven, finally Service Manager of Eindhoven took the matter over and immediately recognized the noise and ordered the drive unit. Parts are in now and I gave the car for repairs to SeC Eindhoven today.

Remaining:
- Test in Italy and see if the metal-to-metal knocking noise is also gone (Dutch roads are too perfect)
- Winter tires are horrendously loud, be patient and go back to summer tires asap..

Reactions: Gtech
Update:

Tested the ride with the new drive unit on a trip from Netherlands -> Italy. ~1800km one way.

The loud noise that starts 156km is non-existent.... UNTIL 195km/h. The very same noise now starts at 195km/h and it gets extremely loud from 205km/h.
Once again, it is clearly coming from the rear side of the car. Since it is not doing that anymore UNTIL 195km/h speed, I guess the culprit was the previous drive unit.

But now I want to be optimistic and think that this time it is the winter tires. So I will have to wait until the winter tires are swapped with summers and test again. And this time go to SeC in Germany who can test on the Autobahn with no speed limit.

The noise is completely identical so I am afraid the new drive unit is also humming.
What is the possibility of a revisioned rear drive unit to be still faulty?

I wonder if there are other model S p90d drivers' experiences at very high speeds.

Update:

Tested the ride with the new drive unit on a trip from Netherlands -> Italy. ~1800km one way.

The loud noise that starts 156km is non-existent.... UNTIL 195km/h. The very same noise now starts at 195km/h and it gets extremely loud from 205km/h.
Once again, it is clearly coming from the rear side of the car. Since it is not doing that anymore UNTIL 195km/h speed, I guess the culprit was the previous drive unit.

But now I want to be optimistic and think that this time it is the winter tires. So I will have to wait until the winter tires are swapped with summers and test again. And this time go to SeC in Germany who can test on the Autobahn with no speed limit.

The noise is completely identical so I am afraid the new drive unit is also humming.
What is the possibility of a revisioned rear drive unit to be still faulty?

I wonder if there are other model S p90d drivers' experiences at very high speeds.
I had my noisy humming sound P85 drive unit replaced under warranty, sorry to say but the new "refirbished" has more sound defects wining noise and the humming noise is already comming back after one month, the refurbished driveunits are junk, tolerances not correct in any of the gears it seems, that costs money and time for tesla, they will tell you it is "within specification" until you run out of warranty. Thank you Tesla!

I had my noisy humming sound P85 drive unit replaced under warranty, sorry to say but the new "refirbished" has more sound defects wining noise and the humming noise is already comming back after one month, the refurbished driveunits are junk, tolerances not correct in any of the gears it seems, that costs money and time for tesla, they will tell you it is "within specification" until you run out of warranty. Thank you Tesla!
Sorry to hear that :/
My replacement solved my problems with the DU related humming noise.

I’m on third drive unit and each refurbished model was smooth and quiet. The first one whined, like yours. The second one was great for 120,000 miles and then started leaking coolant internally. The latest seems great, maybe 30,000 miles and 18 months old.