Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

annoying rattle near the left side rear view mirror is driving me nuts!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my P85 but this annoying rattle near the left side rear view mirror is driving me nuts. Can't enjoy the car as much now with the sound in my head. I took it to the service center twice. The most recent time they took the entire door apart. I thought it had been fixed, but it's still there. Sometimes comes and goes, often with temperature changes. I'm guessing it's some expansion and contraction of plastic parts that cause this, but really have no idea. I live in Southern California, but guessing this isn't just an issue of climate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kirk

When it happens, are you able to put your hand where you think it's coming from and see if it makes a difference?
I get a couple of rattles in that area too. One is more around the dash (confirmed with my hand test), and the other one around the door has a higher frequency and I think (not confirmed) it could be from the power window switches (there could be a tiny spring in there or something like that). My rattles are much much more prevalent when the road is a bit rough (which happens a lot here in NorCal), even on the freeway: I guess the 21" tires do communicate "road feel" pretty well!

My P85 (Oct '14 build) has a slight rattle that sounds like it's coming from there, but I think it's actually inthe steering column. Haven't had it checked out yet, but with the glass windows, sounds can reflect and appear to come from a different place than where they're really originating.

Thoughts:

1) Definitely fiddle with your hand while driving to see if you can find a place to stop the rattle. (KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!)

2) Try moving your head around as best you can to see if it helps you to pinpoint the sound. (KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!)

3) The service center should be able to hook up microphones to detect the source of the sound if (1) and (2) don't help.

I love my P85 but this annoying rattle near the left side rear view mirror is driving me nuts.

First of all, welcome to the forums.

As interesting as this is, I wouldn't really call it "News." :) Seriously, you posted in the the "News" sub-forum, so if I were you, I'd write to one of the moderators and ask them to move the thread to an appropriate sub-forum, where you're likely to get a lot more help. They may see the thread on their own and do it, but your writing to them would probably speed up the process. If you wanted to take this approach, you could just send a private message to "bonnie" or "NigelM." (There are other moderators, but those are two I know off the top of my head.)

[...] I'd write to one of the moderators and ask them to move the thread to an appropriate sub-forum, [...] you could just send a private message to "bonnie" or "NigelM." (There are other moderators, but those are two I know off the top of my head.)
And as luck would have it, you picked the two moderators who just recently handed in their magic wands and took early retirement. Mods for the News section are TEG, Doug_G, AnOutsider

I've noticed two rattles so far with my S85, but they only come up under certain road/speed conditions. Freeway speeds with very rough surface.

The louder rattle seems to be coming from pretty far behind me, sounds like possibly a loose wire in the rear lift gate. That one I've been aware of for a week or two now.
A new one I noticed just this morning seems to a very "light" or "fine" rattle in the drivers side door. Only noticed it for one stretch of highway this morning then couldn't spot it again. Will be on the lookout (hearout?) for it again though.

Haven't notified the service center yet, I think I'll wait for the car to "settle in" a little more to see if anything else gets loose then hopefully they can address them all.

Is the service center pretty good at finding and fixing these rattles?
My last car, I had to take it in a few times for very obvious rattles that they could never "reproduce" when they had the car before they finally addressed them.

Is the service center pretty good at finding and fixing these rattles?
My last car, I had to take it in a few times for very obvious rattles that they could never "reproduce" when they had the car before they finally addressed them.

They'll work with you. I actually had my car in on the 2nd week I had it to fix some of these. Went for a ride with one of the techs. We couldn't get one of the rattles to reproduce during that ride. When I went to pickup the car we went for another ride. They thought they had the rattle we couldn't reproduce fixed but it showed up on that ride (go figure). I decided to wait to have them work on that issue, we couldn't figure out where it was coming from at that point. On the way home I figured out it was coming from the headliner and pushing on it made it go away. It still comes back occasionally but not very often or very loud. I had a clicking sound coming from under my back seat that they did fix but it came back a few days later.

So I'd say somewhat mixed results. They are very willing to look into fixing them. The question is how willing are you to hand them the car and let them work on them?