Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying Seat Memory - or am I doing it wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my phone unlocks the M3 I share with my wife, it seems irrational that the seat memory ignores the presence of my phone and absence of my wife's phone and simply moves the seat to the last used position after Easy Entry is cancelled by hitting the brake.

Ideally, the presence of a Bluetooth LE signal from my phone and the absence of a Bluetooth LE signal from my wife's phone would move the seat to my position after Easy Entry. If both phones are present (or neither) then the current behavior would make sense.

You could turn off the Easy Entry mode on both your profile and your spouse's profile. That way the seat wouldn't automatically move on you when you press on the brake pedal. Just manually select your name (and optionally the Easy Entry mode when you exit the car) and you'll remove all the rush in trying to find your name in the pulldown menu.

I feel like my seat setting alters itself. I have to re-save it every 2-3 times I enter the car. It gradually moves backwards and tilts the back of the seat backwards also.

Different issue than the OP though.

This was a major issue for me when I first got the car. The seat memory restore doesn’t always function correctly. Turning off easy entry and never letting another human being touch your seat again will solve the problem.

Reactions: Dante
I feel like my seat setting alters itself. I have to re-save it every 2-3 times I enter the car. It gradually moves backwards and tilts the back of the seat backwards also.

Different issue than the OP though.

I felt the exact same or thought I was just going crazy. I do know the wheel definitely doesn't go all the way down because after my setting restores, I can always move it one notch lower in the settings - this might be intentional but my seat definitely feels to land a bit further back sometimes.

Reactions: McFlurri
From what I remember the card keys can be tied to driver profiles but not phones. I tweeted Elon to add driver profiles to the phone app but I guess he didn't see it :( I said I couldn't get in the car without manually moving the seat after my wife drives with her tiny dinosaur arms. I suggested disabling it while driving so she couldn't squish me remotely.

• Funny
Reactions: iMoe
This was a major issue for me when I first got the car. The seat memory restore doesn’t always function correctly. Turning off easy entry and never letting another human being touch your seat again will solve the problem.

+1 "easy entry" is painfully bad if you share the car with someone who is of a measurably different body type that yourself. I had to turn it off for that reason. Not sharing the car is not a viable option.

Just make sure to select your profile before hitting the brakes and changing gears and you'll be fine.

Therein lies the problem - if the car detects my phone's BT to unlock itself, it should be brain-dead obvious whose profile should be selected for driving position adjustment. Alas, it does not do that. You can make that selection manually, but that is an PITA.

BMW sort-of does that with associating driver profile to individual keys, so you get your car to adjust to your settings automatically if you grab "your" keys and touch the door handle. Remembering which one is "yours" before grabbing one is a nuisance, but it works well otherwise.

Should be a simple fix for Tesla to apply, if they can prioritize development accordingly.

a

Therein lies the problem - if the car detects my phone's BT to unlock itself, it should be brain-dead obvious whose profile should be selected for driving position adjustment. Alas, it does not do that. You can make that selection manually, but that is an PITA.

BMW sort-of does that with associating driver profile to individual keys, so you get your car to adjust to your settings automatically if you grab "your" keys and touch the door handle. Remembering which one is "yours" before grabbing one is a nuisance, but it works well otherwise.

Should be a simple fix for Tesla to apply, if they can prioritize development accordingly.
Tesla does it with the fob for the S and X. Not sure if the fob for the 3 has that functionality.

It shouldn't be that hard to add it to the app. My guess is eventually they will.