Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying to Full Press Break to Avoid Rolling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to double tap the brake once you come to a complete stop. This engages the hold feature. Then you just have to let go of the brake entirely. Once you are ready to go again, just press on the gas pedal and to drive. The hold feature automatically disengages when the accelerator is pressed.

Didn't know double tap engages hold. Learned something new!

Will try this out!

Reactions: aerodyne
It's not a double tap it is just a second full press when you have come to a complete stop. The press doesn't have to be firm just most of the way down. You will see the hold icon light up. Then you can take your foot off the brake. It is very convenient on a hill not to have to hold the brake pedal down the whole time.

I'm pretty sure the two-press is only if you have creep on.

I have a 2019 Raven Performance also and I barely touch the brake to come to a stop after regen gets me to a few mph. After a second of gentle pressure, the H(old) indicator comes on and I can move my foot. Never needed to press the pedal more than a small amount. Maybe your brakes need to be bled? Do you have good stopping power otherwise, like if you try to stop quickly at speed? Or do you always need to press most of the way to the floor to get any braking action?

Reactions: jgs
In my own S it is like it was in my GLE Benz, same easy double tap on the brake or stronger single tap.

In the loaner I'm driving now it requires much more force, downright annoying. So there seems to be a lot of variability, hope you can get it set to engage much easier, as it should!

Turning creep off and pretending that you are using one pedal driving is a little dangerous, as when stopped, it's easy to accidentally roll and when hit, nothing stops you from rolling into the intersection.
I don't understand (or agree with) this point at all. It's funny that you present turning creep off as "pretending" something -- surely turning creep on is a way of pretending that you're driving an automatic ICE with a torque converter? In any case, creep or no creep, the points you raise are fully addressed by automatic hold, at least when it's working properly which apparently it's not for OP but is for just about everyone else who's posted (including me).

From the manual:

When Model S is stopped, Vehicle Hold can
continue to apply the brakes even after you
remove your foot from the brake pedal. When
driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as
you normally would. After coming to a
complete stop, simply press the brake pedal
again (until the instrument panel displays the
Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle
Hold. You can then release the brake pedal
and remain stopped, even on a hill.

I have noticed as others have, both releasing then tapping the brake pedal will engage Vehicle Hold, as well as simply pressing harder after coming to a complete stop.

Reactions: Sherlo
Creep On solves most rolling backward cases. Modest pressure without any "double tap" or "second press" will engage hold, but I rarely bother. Like some folks said it's partly timed based. Pushing harder doesn't engage it quicker. But you do have to push past what it takes to stop the car.

Someone in another thread said that it is a matter of time, not pressure -- hold it for a few seconds, watch for the indicator. But here is what the owner's manual says:
When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as you normally would. After coming to a
complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the instrument panel displays the
Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold. You can then release the brake pedal
and remain stopped, even on a hill.

That sounds like two presses, but I rarely do that. i mostly just hold it, i think. (It has become so automatic that i am not 100% sure!)
yes, agree. I have never needed to press the brake twice. I do as you say, I just press the brake until the hold indicator comes on. I wonder what happens to those people that like to stop 8 inches from your bumper and then let off the brake and press it again? I guess it means they hit your car.

So I got delivery of my Model S in Colorado and found it quite annoying to always have to jam the break really hard to avoid rolling forward and backward on hills when I’m at a stop.

Now, I’m back in FL and we have no hills but I notice the car is still slowly rolling forwards and backwards on minor incline/declines.

I don’t understand why there’s isn’t a software option so that when I’m stopped it comes to a full stop without rolling without having to jam the break down all the way?

Anyone else find this annoying?

You’re in luck. Tesla actually just promised us that feature (one pedal driving,) and this afternoon I saw release notes for how it’ll be implemented in another thread. Apparently the current creep on/off slider will turn to a Creep/Roll/Hold slider.

MASTER THREAD for V10 2019.32.12.4

Last edited:
I don't understand (or agree with) this point at all. It's funny that you present turning creep off as "pretending" something -- surely turning creep on is a way of pretending that you're driving an automatic ICE with a torque converter? In any case, creep or no creep, the points you raise are fully addressed by automatic hold, at least when it's working properly which apparently it's not for OP but is for just about everyone else who's posted (including me).

So read the post that I was replying to. The poster was talking about a car slowing moving when on inclines. This suggests that somehow the poster thinks that the car should hold at a stop, this suggest that the poster thinks that it is one pedal driving, which it doesn't have.

Creep is easy, but people read all sorts of things into it.
Creep on = automatic transmission
Creep off = manual transmission

Regen has nothing to do with creep.

Pushing the brake and setting hold is a feature that I think Subaru started, if not just popularized and I had in my 1981 Subaru wagon.

My 2018 Leaf has one pedal driving in which when you lift your foot off the accelerator, it comes to a complete halt with brakes applied, it will not move on inclines.

Turning creep off in a Tesla is just like a straight shift in neutral. Except that the car is going to slow a little faster due to regen, but once it gets below a certain speed, it's just a car in neutral.

Turning creep off has been equated by a number of people on the forum as one pedal driving, that's just not true today.

I think there’s some confusion here regarding “double tap” to engage brake hold. Those people don’t mean let go of the brake and then press again, but what most of us understand as “come to a stop as normal then press down on the brake harder until brake hold engages”.