Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced an annoying vibration coming from the passenger door area of their Model X? My happens when I am driving on rough roads in town and is a rapid medium pitched plastic vibration sound (best I can describe it). It has been very hard to locate, but I think it may be coming from the door speaker panel. Any similar experiences out there?

One other thing, the electric drive motors in my 90D Model X have a surprisingly loud whine when accelerating and decelerating. I recently drove a 2013 Model S loaner and it was perfectly quiet.... no motor whine. I was wondering if anyone who has both a Model S and Model X finds the motor whine louder in the X?

Sounds like we have the same vibration / rattle. Mine has gotten progressively worse over 2+ months to where it now happens at nearly all speeds and at all times except for newly surfaced freeways. It was easily identified as being from within the speaker because a friend put pressure on the grill and it (nearly) stops.

I just finished a short weekend road trip. I asked my wife to jam a small stack of post-it notes under the grill and it has temporarily reduced the vibration sound to zero.

The problem? Once I masked it from happening on the passenger side, I realized I have the exact same vibration, to a much lesser extent, happening on the drivers side as well. :mad:

It goes in early September. I haven't rushed doing anything about it because I want to have a thorough list of items for them to look at.

Thanks for sharing your vibratle experience. I had my son push in on the speaker grill and it stopped so at least we have identified it. I wonder if there are any threads on how to remove the speaker grill? Maybe if we can get it off, we can put some padding in there to stop the incessant noise.

I have a new vibration coming from the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. If I push firmly downward or upward on the silver trim between the AC vent and the top of the dash it goes away. Maybe they should have used more clips and less glue to hold this stuff down:rolleyes:
IMG_5950.jpg

Has anyone found a solution to the annoying vibrations that come from the Model X speaker grills? Both of mine front door speaker grills have loud pronounced vibrations on rough roads and while playing music with lots of bass tones. I would like to possibly replace them with fabric of something else that does not vibrate, but I am not sure how to get them off.

I just received my MX this weekend and noticed the sound on bumpy roads as well. One part of the noise is the passenger front seat belt hitting the column and seat. I will check out the grill when I have someone sit on that side. It did sound like it was coming from the passenger FWD or the passenger seat itself.

I just received my MX this weekend and noticed the sound on bumpy roads as well. One part of the noise is the passenger front seat belt hitting the column and seat. I will check out the grill when I have someone sit on that side. It did sound like it was coming from the passenger FWD or the passenger seat itself.
While you are driving on a rough surface, have someone either push into the center of the speaker grill or pull out from the side.... I bet the vibration goes away. The photo shows what I had to do to both front door speaker grills to stop the incessant vibration. Still looking for a more attractive alternative :confused:
IMG_6023.jpg

Reactions: blackXblack
While you are driving on a rough surface, have someone either push into the center of the speaker grill or pull out from the side.... I bet the vibration goes away. The photo shows what I had to do to both front door speaker grills to stop the incessant vibration. Still looking for a more attractive alternative :confused:View attachment 196852
How about using one of these: ;)
p5.jpg

Krushed-Kritter-Krushed-Kitty-Plush-Bottom-Half-Smashed.jpg

Has anyone experienced an annoying vibration coming from the passenger door area of their Model X? My happens when I am driving on rough roads in town and is a rapid medium pitched plastic vibration sound (best I can describe it). It has been very hard to locate, but I think it may be coming from the door speaker panel. Any similar experiences out there?

One other thing, the electric drive motors in my 90D Model X have a surprisingly loud whine when accelerating and decelerating. I recently drove a 2013 Model S loaner and it was perfectly quiet.... no motor whine. I was wondering if anyone who has both a Model S and Model X finds the motor whine louder in the X?
Have you contacted SC about this yet? I have the same problem.

Have you contacted SC about this yet? I have the same problem.

Not yet, I am waiting for a new windshield to arrive so I can address all of my issues in one visit to the service center. Right now I need a new windshield (ghosting), get the vibrations fixed, look into high pitched motor whine, and figure out why my MX has never auto updated in 5 months. Sounds like a lot, but otherwise my MX has been flawless and a joy to drive :)

• Love
Reactions: dapao
Has anyone found a solution to the annoying vibrations that come from the Model X speaker grills? Both of mine front door speaker grills have loud pronounced vibrations on rough roads and while playing music with lots of bass tones. I would like to possibly replace them with fabric of something else that does not vibrate, but I am not sure how to get them off.

i have the same rattling from the passenger side door... i called the southern CA service tesla dealerships and all were booked out at least a month.. no one picks up their phones nor replies to voice messages. planning on getting it fixed in early november 2016 a costa mesa, CA.

Hmm, I wonder if the Q3 sales record is putting more Tesla's on the road than the service centers can keep up with. At the end of 2015 there were 100,000 Teslas on the road and at the end of 2016 there will be 180,000. I wonder if the service centers have doubled in capacity in that same 12 month time period?

I have the same problem with my X - car that is - took it in to the SC and they thought it was from the passenger falcon which they addressed but it did not solve the problem. Going back early next month. Didn't think to check the speaker but will do so

Not yet, I am waiting for a new windshield to arrive so I can address all of my issues in one visit to the service center. Right now I need a new windshield (ghosting), get the vibrations fixed, look into high pitched motor whine, and figure out why my MX has never auto updated in 5 months. Sounds like a lot, but otherwise my MX has been flawless and a joy to drive :)
I am still not sure if this is a ghosting. When I was driving at night, my drive window is like a mirror I can see my screen in it.

I have the same problem with my X - car that is - took it in to the SC and they thought it was from the passenger falcon which they addressed but it did not solve the problem. Going back early next month. Didn't think to check the speaker but will do so
Have someone press the speaker grill in the center when you are on a rough road and see if that makes the vibration go away. Both of my speaker grills vibrate badly. Another thing that vibrates/rattles is the sun visor when pushed to the side, the magnetic connection is wobbly and creates a rattle.

i took my car into the costa mesa service center last week for a rattling passenger speaker - didn't get fixed... not only that, but they dinged my back rim... had to go back in today and they buffed up the rim to patch up their mistake.. while driving home, noticed the speaker still rattles.. i'm gonna try another service center... is it just me, or does tesla service really suck?? their delivery was exceptional, but i haven't been satisfied with their service at all..