Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying whistle noise, when driving relatively slowly – Is it normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last software updates - I got 12.1.1 & 12.1.2 in 2 days - I don't have the whine in my car any more.
Thanks for the update!

My AWD is still at the service center (soon 2 weeks). They will check the front motor for problems, and they unfortunately need some kind of 'oil' to proceed.

Crazy if an update can fix it.

Ill let you know some time in the future.

BR.
Toke

I had a whistle in my M3 at 50+ MPH.

I was able to fix by popping off the Air Intake cover in the Frunk compartment. I noticed the intake wasn't 100% secured and a couple fasteners were loose. I made sure everything was fastened then put the cover back on.

Not sure if this is anyone's issue here, just thought I'd chime in on what solved my whistle :)

Reactions: Toke_Holledig
I was a little hesitant to download 12.1.2 after I already found the while disappear on 12.1.1 because I didn’t want it to come back.

But it doesn’t seem to have come back. !
I hope that stays the case.

I still would like to know why it happened in the first place, where the noise specifically came from. ?

I spoke too soon I guess. It seemed to be gone, but is now back. Possibly ever so slightly less pronounced, but definitely back.

I’m still wondering how many others have this.
If you aren’t sure, you don’t have this whine noise. It’s not something you would wonder if you did.

I’ve done a lot of preheating of the car and subsequently the battery in cold temps all winter long.
I don’t know if this had any impact, since I know many others have also and clearly don’t have this high pitched whine.

I have an appointment schedule soon, so hopefully I will get this sorted out soon.
I’ll post my findings once I do.

Seems only several people are reporting this problem. That’s a good thing.

I can't tell from the vid if it's the same sound but I had a whistle sound in mine when I got it right in front of the steering wheel. I noticed it would stop when I made the wipers engage. I thought there was a bad seal on the windshield or something at first. Then I thought it was the way the fluid line was run to the wiper, but moving that did nothing.

Then one day I popped the frunk lid and started poking around and found the plastic lid right at the base of the windshield wasn't pushed all the way in. Pressing down in it made a clear loud pop as it fell into proper position and the sound never came back. Something to consider if you have a whistle around the same area.

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB
I can't tell from the vid if it's the same sound but I had a whistle sound in mine when I got it right in front of the steering wheel. I noticed it would stop when I made the wipers engage. I thought there was a bad seal on the windshield or something at first. Then I thought it was the way the fluid line was run to the wiper, but moving that did nothing.

Then one day I popped the frunk lid and started poking around and found the plastic lid right at the base of the windshield wasn't pushed all the way in. Pressing down in it made a clear loud pop as it fell into proper position and the sound never came back. Something to consider if you have a whistle around the same area.

Good to know.
This is from the motor or inverter for sure at my end though.
Somewhere below 70km / 43 mph if I have the power at mostly neutral, (no acceleration, with very little regen,) the whine presents itself.

I’ve done a lot of preheating of the car and subsequently the battery in cold temps all winter long.
I don’t know if this had any impact, since I know many others have also and clearly don’t have this high pitched whine.

I have an appointment schedule soon, so hopefully I will get this sorted out soon.
I’ll post my findings once I do.

Seems only several people are reporting this problem. That’s a good thing.

Hi

I am sorry to hear that the update din't fix it.

My model 3 is still at the service center with the same issue (3 weeks now). They will try to change the 'oil' on the front motor they say. I am getting a bit furious. They will have to buy the car back if they can't fix it in prober time (or fix it at all).

Let me know what you find out, ill do the same.

Best regards
Toke

Hi

I am sorry to hear that the update din't fix it.

My model 3 is still at the service center with the same issue (3 weeks now). They will try to change the 'oil' on the front motor they say. I am getting a bit furious. They will have to buy the car back if they can't fix it in prober time (or fix it at all).

Let me know what you find out, ill do the same.

Best regards
Toke

Thanks for the update.
I will let you know how I make out as well when mine goes in. They’ve been pretty good so far with everything.

I think the key here is to find out the source of the whistling sound. Until we all know why it’s whistling/whining, not much progress can be made on the possible solutions.

I hope you see progress soon.

Hello everyone,
I am posting this here because I have a similar issue, but not 100% similar. Let me explain:
I have a Model 3 P since february 2019 (before I had a 2014 Model S), never have experienced any problem with the 3, until last week.

I have experienced 3 times, on 3 different drives over the last week, the following:
- high pitched whine sound coming from the front motor, and the frequency is related to speed (the higher the speed, the higher the pitch frequency, until road noise covers it above 70 km/h)
- this happens in the first few minutes of the drive (10 to 20 minutes) only
- this comes with a unusually high energy consumption (more than double the usual)
- it also comes with a "shaky" friction movement of the car right before standstill, instead of the usual smooth rolling

All of the abovementioned symptoms disappear together at some point in the drive, usually about 20 minutes after it started.

I've been thinking this might be related to the battery heating system using the motors... but we're in may and there's 20º celsius out there. Doesn't make sense.

Anyone else has experienced this?

Oh and BTW, the Chambourcy Tesla Service Center (near Paris, France) said they don't want to look at the vehicle logs if it's a "sound problem", they want a technician to have a test drive instead. I said we're probably going to waste our time, as it only happens once every 10 drives... but they keep refusing to check the logs.
Anyone knows of a better way to request the logs to be checked? I emailed ServiceHelpEU but got no reply (only the local service center replied, saying "no, we don't pull the logs"...)

It is driving me nuts! I don't know if it is referred as ‘Moter whine’. I hear the noise when driving relatively slowly around 30-70 km/h. Sometimes it is worse. It will start when slowly using the pedal at some speed. The sound/whine/whistle is also there when regenerative breaking.

All help is a appreciated. For info. This is a model 3, and my first Tesla. I don't remeber hearing the noise the first couble of weeks. Tesla

I have some footage of the sound. Please use high volume:

Best regards
Toke

I hear it.. and have the same with my car... it is a little annoying and no I dont think it was there when I got the car.

I had a whistle in my M3 at 50+ MPH.

I was able to fix by popping off the Air Intake cover in the Frunk compartment. I noticed the intake wasn't 100% secured and a couple fasteners were loose. I made sure everything was fastened then put the cover back on.

Not sure if this is anyone's issue here, just thought I'd chime in on what solved my whistle :)

Can you show us where the "Air Intake cover" is?

Hello everyone,
I am posting this here because I have a similar issue, but not 100% similar. Let me explain:
I have a Model 3 P since february 2019 (before I had a 2014 Model S), never have experienced any problem with the 3, until last week.

I have experienced 3 times, on 3 different drives over the last week, the following:
- high pitched whine sound coming from the front motor, and the frequency is related to speed (the higher the speed, the higher the pitch frequency, until road noise covers it above 70 km/h)
- this happens in the first few minutes of the drive (10 to 20 minutes) only
- this comes with a unusually high energy consumption (more than double the usual)
- it also comes with a "shaky" friction movement of the car right before standstill, instead of the usual smooth rolling

All of the abovementioned symptoms disappear together at some point in the drive, usually about 20 minutes after it started.

I've been thinking this might be related to the battery heating system using the motors... but we're in may and there's 20º celsius out there. Doesn't make sense.

Anyone else has experienced this?

OK, now I have the answer to all those symptoms I described: preconditioning of the battery en route to a Supercharger! That's what it was.

The Model 3 doesn't have a resistance heater for the battery (like Model S & X), it instead preheats the battery through its motors. While standard operating temperature for the battery is mild (16º C), preconditioning for supercharging requires higher temperature, that is why it is so noticeable when the motor is preconditioning the pack, and why it translates into so much energy consumption.

If anyone else experienced the same thing, now we have the answer!

• Informative
OK, now I have the answer to all those symptoms I described: preconditioning of the battery en route to a Supercharger! That's what it was.

The Model 3 doesn't have a resistance heater for the battery (like Model S & X), it instead preheats the battery through its motors. While standard operating temperature for the battery is mild (16º C), preconditioning for supercharging requires higher temperature, that is why it is so noticeable when the motor is preconditioning the pack, and why it translates into so much energy consumption.

If anyone else experienced the same thing, now we have the answer!

Not really. We don’t have the answer. If you read the original post again, the thread was originally posted for the whining outside of the preconditioning warm up process.
While they are almost identical sounds, and likely caused by the same source, the OP was describing it happening outside of the battery preconditioning.
Mine is also happening outside of the preconditioning whine, but that whine is the same and very predominant during preconditioning also.

Sorry, I meant I had the answer to MY symptoms.
If you guys have toggled on/off the destination (a SuC) in the nav system and you have confirmed the wine is different (less audible) then it must be a different issue, yes.
Sorry for the confusion