TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Annoying wiper "clicking" sound

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brantse, Oct 19, 2016.

1. brantse

brantse Member

In the past week or so, my car seems to have started making a "clicking" sound during each wiper stroke. It always seems to click when starting the stroke and sometimes when beginning to reverse the stroke, from the top. It sounds just like a very noisy small relay, which I suppose it most likely is. I certainly don't recall hearing the sound before, especially considering how annoying it has been to me lately.

Anybody hear this before? Should I just try to locate and replace this relay, if that is indeed the problem?

• Informative x 1
  2. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

I have this exact issue. I had the car booked in with the SC to resolve, but as it is intermittant, they couldn't find the fault. The source of the sound is the right-hand side wiper (looking out of the car). The "click" can be quite loud (more of a "clonk"). Running the wipers for an extended period of time normally clears it.

A previous car I owned had exactly the same issue, and it turned out that the connection between the mechanism and the wiper motor was loose.

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

My P85+ had the same issue (I presume). The wiper mechanism, that was originally glued to the car body, came undone. The matter was resolved by either riveting (warranty invoice) or welding (Service Advisor) the parts together.

4. brantse

brantse Member

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if it was a real problem or not, but I guess I'll go ahead and let service know about it.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Please tell me they're not still gluing parts like this together to make the car.

6. fsch

fsch Member

I also hear a clicking sound. Today, I had the wiper mechanism replaced (including motor) because one of the arms inside broke, and I still hear the clicking! So it's apparently not the wiper mechanism, motor, or attached circuits. I rather suspect some mechanical relay somewhere delivering the power to the motor. At least, it sounds like that.

7. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

I agree on the sound. Before the issue on my car was resolved, I was sure to hear a 12V relay clicking to the exact rhythm of the wipers. But I was wrong.